10 replies to this topic

#1 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

I found this new video of an old match on You Tube
Great memories ...Esther scores a wonder try about six minutes into the video
A very young slim Ian Pickavance in the centres and a player Id forgotten Steve Garner making some massive tackles at hooker.
Theres also a pleasant Hudson on the wing,my mate Julian.
Finally George Mann in his pomp before his swansong at Gigg Lane.

Edited by mark richardson, 18 December 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#2 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Fantastic early xmas present Mark thanks. Please forward it on to any props playing for us this season as that is why my all time favourite prop is Kevin Ward. What a monster and had great hands too!
Always great to see the sadly missed Skeetchy in his prime. Barry Peters too. Wasn't that the Aussie coaching legend that is Craig Bellamy in the no. 6 shirt?
A lesson in kicking from Andy Pucill too. Magic!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#3 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

Fantastic early xmas present Mark thanks. Please forward it on to any props playing for us this season as that is why my all time favourite prop is Kevin Ward. What a monster and had great hands too!
Always great to see the sadly missed Skeetchy in his prime. Barry Peters too. Wasn't that the Aussie coaching legend that is Craig Bellamy in the no. 6 shirt?
A lesson in kicking from Andy Pucill too. Magic!

You're welcome..I'm only posting pleasant and non argumentative stuff henceforth. Ho ho ho.

#4 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

much appriciated for the early xmas present it brought back some happy memories, bring back proper scrum,s and striking for the ball i say . Merry xmas to everyone "apart fromm the pinks bet they wont be having a MERRY xmas" just need a new ground now and xmas will be perfect.

Edited by juliancaine, 18 December 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#5 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Two things struck me watching this excellent footage.

1 - How very, very sad dear old Station Road looked minus the Townsend Road stand and any worthwhile terracing at the Station Road end. Just awaiting the death sentence to be finally carried out. What an enormous contrast when I cast my mind back to my youth when I witnessed Station Road in her full glory, as in a Test match with a brass band playing in front of a 35,000 crowd (1st Test GB v Aus 1959). To see such a great sea of faces there was truly a wonderful sight I assure you.

2 - The lovely football played by both teams, i.e., rugby league as it used to be (and should be) played before Aussie influences ruined it and turned it into robotic rugby as it is now played in Super League, that over-hyped kind of RL played by super fit 'athletes' instead of clever 'footballers'.

#6 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

I have to agree with your second point there Keith. I'm not too familiar with the rugby of that era being just 4 years of age when that match was played, but after watching that footage earlier today, it was so much more enjoyable to watch than what we get today. Although I still think todays rugby league is still the greatest game on the planet, I have to say yester-years rugby league is the greatest game of all time.

Posted Image

#7 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

I have to agree with your second point there Keith. I'm not too familiar with the rugby of that era being just 4 years of age when that match was played, but after watching that footage earlier today, it was so much more enjoyable to watch than what we get today. Although I still think todays rugby league is still the greatest game on the planet, I have to say yester-years rugby league is the greatest game of all time.

You won't get any argument from me!
Posted Image

#8 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Thanks Paul

#9 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Played at a pace slower than what Championship football is today.

Play-the-balls at pedestrian speed.

After watching this video (more than once) I'm even more convinced that the modern game is far superior to then.

But I wouldn't think for a moment that Keith would have been expecting anything different from his fellow old-stager!

Anyway, a Merry Christmas to every Lion!

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#10 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

Played at a pace slower than what Championship football is today.

Play-the-balls at pedestrian speed.

After watching this video (more than once) I'm even more convinced that the modern game is far superior to then.

But I wouldn't think for a moment that Keith would have been expecting anything different from his fellow old-stager!

Anyway, a Merry Christmas to every Lion!

Spelly.

Aha! So you admit that they did actually play the ball!

Gotcha! I haven't seen a real play the ball for years. Foot on ball, roll it back takes longer than put ball on ground and push opponent out of the way. When did the rule change?

OK I'm being my smart-ass self, as we say!

Merry Christmas, to Spelly and all loyal Lions fans of whatever generation!
Posted Image

#11 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

what a great video - even allowing for the Saint's commentary team....:) actually best try of the day was Scott Ransons - yes Bellamy has done well since his spell with Swinton - brought back many fond memories.......especially of the "play the ball" and being able to strike at the play the ball.......:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users