Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

LEEDS RHINOS RESPOND TO GOVERNMENT CUTS TO RUGBY LEAGUE FUNDING

Rhinos media release

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

News of Sport England’s decision to reduce funding to Rugby League by £10,000,000 over the next four years, has prompted Leeds Rhinos, Hunslet Hawks and the Leeds Rugby Foundation, to come together and launch an ambitious new three year Development Plan for Rugby League in Leeds.

Commenting on the reduced funding Rhinos Chief Executive Gary Hetherington, also a Trustee of Leeds Rugby Foundation, said, “Whilst the news of reduced funding didn’t come as a surprise it was disappointing. Over the last four years the funding has enabled the Leeds Rugby Foundation and Hunslet to employ dedicated Development Officers who have done a great job to increase numbers of youngsters participating in sport and rugby. Their jobs are now under threat and the hardest hit will inevitably be those communities, clubs and schools in Leeds who need support the most.”

The new thee year plan sets out ambitious targets in four areas. Firstly to get another 1,000 youngsters who are currently not engaged in sport to play Rugby League, encourage more to become fans of the Rhinos and Hawks, to improve standards of coaching with a new Coach Education programme and finally, showcasing the 120 year history and heritage of Rugby League in Leeds.

Headed by Rugby League Development Manager for Leeds Leon Crick, the first challenge is to generate enough funds from key partners and sponsors to retain the current staff and create voluntary roles to work with clubs and schools in the City. The Leeds Rugby Foundation is a registered charity and therefore reliant on grants, corporate sponsors and individuals to fund these activities.

Rhinos Head Coach Brian McDermott has volunteered to be part of the Coach Education panel and Hetherington has taken responsibility for fund raising. “It’s such a worthwhile project to support and I am keen to hear from any individuals or companies who may be interested. In these times of corporate social responsibility, I can think of no better way than to help give youngsters the opportunity to engage in sport and rugby in particular,” said Hetherington.

Phil Daly
Media and PR Manager

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

Obsessed with press releases from Leeds.

#3 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Are you? I find them interesting too.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#4 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I thought the point was all press releases got published, the fact that most seem to be Leeds probably speaks volumes........

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

I thought the point was all press releases got published, the fact that most seem to be Leeds probably speaks volumes........

Yes, however it does appear strange that very few clubs send their press releases to LPL.

#6 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yes, however it does appear strange that very few clubs send their press releases to LPL.

This is true! Fans of said clubs should be asking questions!

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

This is true! Fans of said clubs should be asking questions!

Indeed.

I can go on any club's website right now and see that they have made press releases on their own websites, it seems absurd not to send this to the Rugby League media.

#8 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Wether you like it or not Leeds Rhinos are standing up for the rest of RL.Ouch sorr :D y
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#9 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Dewsbury & York do too, I believe...

;) :D
Posted Image

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

Hoe DARE Leeds be so positive. Don't they know this is rugby league?

#11 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Hoe DARE Leeds be so positive. Don't they know this is rugby league?

I always knew we'd pick up some bad habits from the union club!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#12 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,735 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Indeed.

I can go on any club's website right now and see that they have made press releases on their own websites, it seems absurd not to send this to the Rugby League media.

True, but even as a Wire fan I don't look on TotalRL to see whether Lee Briers is getting a new pair of boots for Christmas, or whether the HJ pitch is looking in good nick two months before the start of the season. I wouldn't like to see that sort of stuff on here.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

It's good to see that one club is actually trying to encourage more kids to play the game despite the funding cuts.Having been at the meeting that this initiative was launched,Leeds can only be congratulated.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 19 December 2012 - 06:30 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

True, but even as a Wire fan I don't look on TotalRL to see whether Lee Briers is getting a new pair of boots for Christmas, or whether the HJ pitch is looking in good nick two months before the start of the season. I wouldn't like to see that sort of stuff on here.

yep. there appears to be a strange setup here is my point. if only 3/4 clubs in the whole of the game send press releases to lpl then that suggests an issue either for lpl or the game.
I agree that this place is not right for some of the inane press releases we read. Wendall is no longer here, yet he got lambasted for this and little more.

#15 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

AOB for press releases

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

Even those that are from Rugby League about Rugby League?

The General Rugby League Forum

Discuss Super League, Championships & Other General RL topics here.

#17 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,735 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Even those that are from Rugby League about Rugby League?

The General Rugby League Forum

Discuss Super League, Championships & Other General RL topics here.

A number of the ones we've had had on here about Leeds have had only tenuous links to rugby league. Others, like this one, could easily have been posted on the 'Sport England funding cut' thread without requiring a new one.

To give a few examples:

RHINOS SIGN PERCY GRIMSTHWAITE FROM CAS - is a rugby league thread, no probs

RHINOS INSTALL £1 MILLION NEW PITCH - is of mild interest, I can live with it

SIR KEV KICKS A GOAL TO INAUGURATE NEW SET OF POSTS - is of little interest to most Rhinos fans, never mind us.

Edited by Just Browny, 20 December 2012 - 12:07 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#18 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

Wether you like it or not Leeds Rhinos are standing up for the rest of RL.Ouch sorr :D y

Correct. Rugby League needs to be more pro active as a game than it is now.

#19 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

back to the press release itself i find it good news that leeds are looking to retain the current staff by finding more key partners to invest . this is surely good news at a time when the rfl are getting rid of staff .
any news on other clubs looking to retain development staff ?.

maybe if other clubs sent a press release we would know
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users