Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

AGM

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#81 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

livo..my point is it should be announced before hand or it smacks of being underhand..it should be clearly stated to all that a director is going to be elected (as it was with the season ticket holders) and invites to any interested party given. if it ends up with one candidate then thats fine but we will now never know if someone was interested in standing. Its not that it was held at the AGM its the FACT that it was never announced that the board were looking for another director.
We shouldnt have to go cap in hand to the directors for information they should be laying out the information infront of us..Honesty and clarity...thats what we wanted.

Mike - I will find out if there was an advert placed to invite applications for the BoD and also look into why the fact that an election was taking place wasn't known to all members, thus allowing proxy votes to be cast. When I know exactly what the situation was I will make it public.

What I can say for certain is that there was NOT an attempt to get anybody onto the board in an underhand manner. If this had been the case then we could have just co-opted a twelfth member on at anytime. This is allowed under the A of A - although not something I personally agree with as i believe all directors should be endorsed by the membership (whether that be debenture holders or season ticket holders). All the current directors have been endorsed by the membership, as your were when you held office.

Posted Image

#82 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

michael, its not the person im complaining about its the manner in which he was voted on. why didnt they just co-opt him on if he is such an asset to the club? if you are to hold an election then it should have been announced through the press and the website as was the season ticket holders.

It would be nice now that he is on the board to share some information about him; what he has achieved in the past and what he is planning to do now he is on the board. Let the fans get to know him.

To say im a little disapointed with the way this has been conducted would be an understatement but onwards and upwards...the future is bright n all that...lol

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#83 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

keith,

sorry i was writing my reply at the same time..lol

im not saying anything was underhand, however it could be seen like that. To me it was amateurish and unorganiised; almost last minute.

Mike

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#84 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Perhaps they did not want certain deb holders to know about it!!

#85 Paul Ballantyne

Paul Ballantyne
  • Coach
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

You can't say that Lifer as it would mean it was underhand!! Im sure it was just an oversight.

#86 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Yeah you are probably right paul!!!

#87 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

You can't say that Lifer as it would mean it was underhand!! Im sure it was just an oversight.

Whatever happened Paul, I will obtain the facts and report back. I think I know what has happened but want to clarify before issuing a statement. This may take some time because the club secretary is currently on holiday and I need some information that only Karen can verify for me.

Posted Image

#88 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Just as a point of interest Maurice was team manager during the early 2000s. It surprises me how many people do not know him. He was also heavily involved in obtaining sponsors and advertisers with Jos Kenley prior to 2007,I think.

It surprises me how long people have "supported" barrow but don't know who Maurice.

#89 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

I lived away from 2001 to 2009 so missed them years

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#90 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

I dont know who he is Blue Moon, but am glad you do, its made my day that,

#91 Bob247

Bob247
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Does it really matter if he his no known by a certain amount of people as long as he works for the benefit of the club
give the lad a chance to prove is self ,He must have impressed someone on the board for them to recommend him
as a director

#92 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Does it really matter if he his no known by a certain amount of people as long as he works for the benefit of the club
give the lad a chance to prove is self ,He must have impressed someone on the board for them to recommend him
as a director

I reckon Maurice will have a chuckle to be described as 'a lad'.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#93 Bob247

Bob247
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

I have never seen or met him so you are telling me he his an old ######

#94 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

I have never seen or met him so you are telling me he his an old ######

Arnt most of us :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im not criticising him at all just the process of the addition of a board member ? I hope he gets us all the grantsand sponsors possible and I say good luck to him.

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#95 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

Arnt most of us :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im not criticising him at all just the process of the addition of a board member ? I hope he gets us all the grantsand sponsors possible and I say good luck to him.

Lee

lee this is the problem..people think i am having a go at the guy but its the way he was elected not who he is..

#96 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

as a director

bob again you sound as if you dont quite follow the conversation..ITS NOT THE MAN ITS THE WAY HE WAS ELECTED....and believe me some of the board are easily impressed...lol (joke)

#97 Bob247

Bob247
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

I follow it okay i do understand were you are coming from and i support you 100 per cent its just that the person in question deserves to be given a chance to prove himself

#98 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

It sounds like not all Directors was aware of maurice coming on board so give keith Nutter a chance to investigate and report back

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#99 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

All this moaning, there was obviously no interest in this post otherwise people would of put the names forward.

I think some just moan for moaning sake.

#100 atp

atp
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Maurice Evans

Joined the BoD from the Save Craven Park Committee in the 90's, worked tirelessly in SCP committee to stop the ground being sold by the then BoD for DEVELOPMENT.
Accademy Team Director with Stewart Wilkinson as coach, very successful team, Maurice was very well thought of throughout the team which some are now in our first team.
Travelled every Saturday with the Accademy lads when playing away( Saturdays)
Traveled every Sunday with first team making most weekends taken over by Barrow Rugby
Attended every Accademy Council meeting which took him all over the country when required
Was the main instigator to get the Raiders Bar opened again putting a great deal of physical and financial effort into it, then ran it for a short time.
Whent out two days a week religiously with Josh ( the radio man for those long term supporters that don't know him) getting sponsorship and promoting the club.
He did this while running his business in Ulverston with his wife
Also ( nearly forgot ) assisted Old Phill ( the then groundsman again for those who don't know who he was) on several occasions when he was at CP with running repaires

Maurice may have naively thought that most if not all (long term) supporters would remember this as it was only over the last 15-18 years that's why he did not say much at the AGM. I do not know this for sure as I have not spoken to Maurice about it. Maurice put his application for the board in late on the deadline date about an hour before closing I think.

Maurice unlike some so called supporters knows the procedure of AGM's, saw that there was a space on the board and applied through the correct channels, there was no underlying agenda this is a man who has a great deal of knowledge and desire to make Barrow a successesful club, thought now he has retired could help, no more no less.
The only loser in this is Barrow Rugby League Club as far as I can see. I still don't beleave that any so called long term supporter has never heard of Maurice never mind come across him at CP as he won't mind me saying he is not exactly the shy retiring type.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users