Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

benefit of the doubt

scrapped

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

so now the aussies have scrapped it what's the chances of us doing the same, or would sky have something to say about it.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#2 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

so now the aussies have scrapped it what's the chances of us doing the same, or would sky have something to say about it.

All this stuff about the Aussies if they scrapped a four point try to a one point try and we kept the four point try and we played them on them rules we would still lose. The Aussies pump a lot more money into their RL than we do plus it's probably their number one sport over there. I don't think we need to emulate the Aussies just find a new way not their way as they have an head start already on everything we copy.

#3 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Would it make much of a difference,very few tries are given benefit of the doubt over here anyway.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Don't like it anyway. Either its a try or it isn't. But worse, they never even seem to apply it anyway.
Wouldn't be bothered if it was scrapped.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#5 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Having seen some of the try's awarded by Aussie video refs this season I'm amazed the haven't gone the whole hog and scrapped them.
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#6 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

Benefit of the doubt has been a fundamental law of the game since year dot and is there for a reason and has remained there for a reason. The only change needed is not to announce it, Try or no Try, if its given on BoD you just say Try. It was only when it appeared on a screen that most supporters (and probably players) realised its existence.

The actual law is that a referee cannot disallow a try just because he didn't actually see the ball grounded. If you turn it around and say that a referee must disallow a try if he hasn't seen the ball grounded then you just give benefit of the doubt the opposite way.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#7 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

What you'll see in the game now is a referee actually indicate his view on whether it is a try or no try.
"If there's uncertainty, he will send it to the video ref, and it will only be overturned if the video ref can clearly see there is a reason to overturn that decision - I think that it will be positively received by fans."
so this is similar to the union way where the ref asks " i think it is a try, may i award a try"

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

What you'll see in the game now is a referee actually indicate his view on whether it is a try or no try.
"If there's uncertainty, he will send it to the video ref, and it will only be overturned if the video ref can clearly see there is a reason to overturn that decision - I think that it will be positively received by fans."
so this is similar to the union way where the ref asks " i think it is a try, may i award a try"

which is identical to rl.
a vr will give a yay or nay decision no matter how the question is asked. The only way it would differ is if they are asked and only allowed to look at certain incidents. If the question is open, it is the same in both sports.

#9 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

It's getting very similar to the NFL where all scoring plays are reviewed but are still called first by the on-field refs. The decision is only overturned if there is irrefutable proof on the replay that the wrong decision has been made.

The ARL are also trialling the use of a "captain's challenge" in the U20 games that are televised - similar to the NFL "coach's challenge".

#10 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

It's getting very similar to the NFL where all scoring plays are reviewed but are still called first by the on-field refs. The decision is only overturned if there is irrefutable proof on the replay that the wrong decision has been made.

Its still BoD, it doesn't matter how sports try to hide BoD, whether for giving or rejecting a score has to exist.

What they are trying to do is change the publics perception of how decisions are made more than changing how decisions are made.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#11 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

which is identical to rl.
a vr will give a yay or nay decision no matter how the question is asked. The only way it would differ is if they are asked and only allowed to look at certain incidents. If the question is open, it is the same in both sports.

In field hockey it is up to the captain to state the question that (s)he wishes to put to the video ref. The video ref can only rule on that question and I have seen a couple of instances where the captain asked the wrong question and as a result did not get what they were hoping for.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

In field hockey it is up to the captain to state the question that (s)he wishes to put to the video ref. The video ref can only rule on that question and I have seen a couple of instances where the captain asked the wrong question and as a result did not get what they were hoping for.

I seem to remember in the Olympics in desperation a captain asked words to the effect of "Was there something wrong with that?" and the referee replied with, "You're going to need to be a bit more specific ..."
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

One rule I would like to see is the time some teams take to set up for a drop goal or take a conversion. Something Kevin Sinfield drags out when it suits Leeds to do so.

#14 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

One rule I would like to see is the time some teams take to set up for a drop goal or take a conversion. Something Kevin Sinfield drags out when it suits Leeds to do so.

As every other team does.Never let that get in the way of your agenda though. :rolleyes:
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#15 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

I think there is already a rule covering this

#16 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

There's three questions a Union ref can ask the TMO
(1)Is it a Try, yes or no?
(2)Is there any reason why I can't award a Try?
(3)If it weren't for an act of foul play would a Try have probably been scored?

I am not a fan of the BotD rule, largely for the name and the way it gets announced on SKY, I always feel it sounds a bit too park football, jumpers for goalposts. Sport should be about clear yes / no, faster, higher, more points results and having a slightly fuzzy "oh well it was probably a Try so we'll give it" diminishes the result, in my view.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,778 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

(4)Did it have the "ring of truth"? :P

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#18 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Simple and to-the-point! I like the way union referees instructs the video ref to give a yes or no answer.

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

These give the same outcome as a League VR question,I've had this discussion on the Cross Code forum and nobody has ever been able to explain the difference:

Q1 - same as RL
Q2 - the answer will be a yes or no to a try - exactly the same as Q1 in effect
Q3 - same as RL penalty try question

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

I'd rather it were termed "balance of probabilities". There are plenty of cases where you can't tell, even on the video and you have to make a decision one way or the other. Let's face it - one of the teams gets the "benefit of the doubt" whether you award the try or not.

Classic example is the ball is (or maybe isn't) grounded in a ruck of players, point of contact with the ground - if there is one - out of sight of the cameras. The outcome is always going to be a guess.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users