Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tick and pass its the future

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

http://blog.pitchero...g-rugby-league/

#2 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 741 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

The RFL will use a number of different initiatives to encourage people to continue playing the sport or take it up for the first time. These include:

• Improving club development and competition in Conference and Regional leagues, many of which are located in deprived areas.
  • Offering touch rugby league players a different form of the game, some of which will be delivered through Powerleague sites.
  • Supporting higher and further education institutions in offering rugby league and touch rugby league.

1st aim. Vague aim that can be twisted to whatever they want it to be regarding any level below semi-pro.

2nd aim. Touch leagues? Come on, its a fiddle to make up the playing numbers.

3rd aim. Agree, thats what we should be aiming at (except touch) as the people in higher education are future business leaders....sponsorship, profile etc comes from this.

#3 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

If it gets people playing the game then it is a good idea, especially if funding can be enhanced on the back of it - every other sport will be enhancing their numbers on the back of similar schemes. Ideally though the RFL Development Managers should be aiming these competitions at corporate work places and people that enjoy the game but don't participate in order to get the new people involved. Generally though the touch leagues that do exist are engaging people that are already playing the game. There is scope to do something there but it needs to be focus in the right way.

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#4 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

How many new people will try tick and pass and then try full contact on a regular basis or is that not the plan ?

#5 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

I wouldn't think so - as far as i'm aware numbers playing the sport regularly in any form count towards the participation numbers. It's all about engaging people in sport and physical activity. Masters RL has been successful in doing this for a group of people that the sport was previously beyond due to their age, if touch can do that for people that don't want to play the full contact version then great.

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#6 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

But the whole sport plan is to produce a national team to be the worlds best and thats been our problem playing tick and pass against the Aussies, the cheating gits dont stop :lol:

#7 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

But the whole sport plan is to produce a national team to be the worlds best and thats been our problem playing tick and pass against the Aussies, the cheating gits dont stop :lol:

As a professional non-olympic sport Sport England aren't interested in funding RL's national side, or the pro setup. The funding is targeted solely at the amateur/community game and is related to participation. RL has two choices - tell SE to keep their cash, or take it and accept the restrictions that go with it.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#8 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

How many new people will try tick and pass and then try full contact on a regular basis or is that not the plan ?

I remember a lad coming down to us a good few years ago who had never played before, he looked a world beater playing touch, our first game was against Cas Panthers away (Leef was the referee that day) they kicked -off and the new guy took the ball on the full and gently jogged into the Panthers defensive line, three defenders smashed him that hard he must have landed 15 metres out of the field of play, for some reason he never came back for a second game.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#9 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

7 of us have entered a team into a touch league starting in January, none of us currently play anymore, most of us are to old, to fat and past it, but it'll be a laugh and its only for 12 weeks unless we decide to go again!

So I guess we'll be in boosting playing figures, if the grassroots benefits from keeping old farts playing longer and boosting the overall participation figures can only be a good thing can't it?

#10 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

As a professional non-olympic sport Sport England aren't interested in funding RL's national side, or the pro setup. The funding is targeted solely at the amateur/community game and is related to participation. RL has two choices - tell SE to keep their cash, or take it and accept the restrictions that go with it.

Thats not entirley true. £4.5million of the funding, ring fenced, is aimed at the Talent pathway, to produce more elite players which in turn basically means Tax payers money is paying for the next batch of professional players going into super league and championship. Now i dont have a problem with that so long that the community game does not struggle but if im right and we dont produce a world cup winning team in the next 4 years or put on a the best show in the world in 2013 that next round of money 4 years down the line will be cut again then were screwed.

So in light of that is it right to secure money for Tick and Pass when our grass roots game is in a tepid condition?

Edited by Wilber, 21 December 2012 - 12:31 AM.

#11 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

Well somebody else has catched my drift ;) ;)

#12 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Thats not entirley true. £4.5million of the funding, ring fenced, is aimed at the Talent pathway, to produce more elite players which in turn basically means Tax payers money is paying for the next batch of professional players going into super league and championship. Now i dont have a problem with that so long that the community game does not struggle but if im right and we dont produce a world cup winning team in the next 4 years or put on a the best show in the world in 2013 that next round of money 4 years down the line will be cut again then were screwed.

So in light of that is it right to secure money for Tick and Pass when our grass roots game is in a tepid condition?

True, I discovered that last night. Although the players concerned are still also in the community game (for now) and, if run properly, the talent pathway is a good way to show young players that you are a serious sport and they do have an opportunity to make a career in the game. We have recruited players from RU whose parents have commented how much better RL's system is.

I don't think it's a case of applying to use the money for Touch Rugby or for grassroots club development - I think without the Touch element it would have been even less.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#13 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

SE dont fund the England team and our onfield performance at the World Cup has no bearing on funding.

I think you are confusing the process UK Sport adopts with the sports it funds.... of which we arent one.

#14 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

So enligthen us then what is the 4.5 million ring fenced for , which is also 25% of the total funding ?

#15 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

So enligthen us then what is the 4.5 million ring fenced for , which is also 25% of the total funding ?

As it says in the release - Talent Development. That would be PDCs, Scholarships, Academies etc. but its a well known fact that only Olympic Sports receive funding for their elite squads and this comes from UK Sport... same for England RU, Cricket, etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users