Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Reds need 600.000 pounds

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

http://www.thesun.co...-need-600k.html

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

one of yesterdays papers,the star?,reported salford owe just £140,000

does anyone know the actual truth?...we've heard figures range from £60k to £4m

:lol:

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

It all depends on how you calculate the debt.

It has been said that Patten and Anderson are owed somewhere between £50,000 and £80,000.
HMRC are owned money but some of it is due immediately the rest is due during the next few months.

Simple truth is the club need about £600,00 to start the season.

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Sounds similar to the Bulls appeal that they needed £500,000 to keep going. That wasn't the size of the debt but the cash they needed to have coming in IIRC.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

From what I've been told the Reds owe around £275k immediately, but not including the loan repayments due to the council. The balance of the reported £600k requirement is purely to meet operating costs until the start of the season - staff & players wages, stadium rent etc

#6 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

From what I've been told the Reds owe around £275k immediately, but not including the loan repayments due to the council. The balance of the reported £600k requirement is purely to meet operating costs until the start of the season - staff & players wages, stadium rent etc

Then the next question is, do they simply need a total of £ 600k or is it £600k of unbudgeted income? If its the former you would imagine season ticket sales should raise a sizeable chunk of it when/if they put them on sale.

#7 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

We have been taking about this on the "Salford In Trouble" thread. The £600,000 is the figure quoted by our chairman.

If you have a look on the other thead you will find links to the twitter feeds from the fans meeting with John Wilkinson.

Or you can read the club website report;

http://www.reds.co.u...lence-is-broken

I matters little about the breakdown of who is owed what - we either get the money in a few days or we dissappear - no question.

#8 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

Disappointed with the publicity campaign from Salford on this - the Bradford fundraiser was probably the best marketed event in RL this year.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

OLDHAM RLFC

#10 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Disappointed with the publicity campaign from Salford on this - the Bradford fundraiser was probably the best marketed event in RL this year.

It is a lot easier to do all that during the season as the home games gather all the fans & media togther. Off season there is no RL on TV, therefore no drama unfolding week by week, no TV people interviewing fans / players etc -I remember most of the "marketing campaign" was done by SKY sports on their shows... Salford are a much smaller and less successful club, have a tiny staff and no money to do anything (obviously) - our fans trust is organising a collection so we have a fund - probably to try and re-start the club after we get finished up. It has all been in the media (Ganada / SKY sports news / paper) - but outside Salford, no one is really interested and that's the harsh truth and most of us realise that and are ready for the worst.

Edited by 41hound, 20 December 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#11 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_zN8L7Guu0

Very funny B) - Carl Pilkington was probably lined up as our next marketing manager at Salford :lol:.

By the way Spud - you Roughyeds need to look after those old bits of the Willows you have. We might be sneaking back after them - :D

Edited by 41hound, 20 December 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#12 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

i joked lasted week we need to get that stand erected before they ask for it back :lol:

OLDHAM RLFC

#13 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

It is a lot easier to do all that during the season as the home games gather all the fans & media togther. Off season there is no RL on TV, therefore no drama unfolding week by week, no TV people interviewing fans / players etc -I remember most of the "marketing campaign" was done by SKY sports on their shows... Salford are a much smaller and less successful club, have a tiny staff and no money to do anything (obviously) - our fans trust is organising a collection so we have a fund - probably to try and re-start the club after we get finished up. It has all been in the media (Ganada / SKY sports news / paper) - but outside Salford, no one is really interested and that's the harsh truth and most of us realise that and are ready for the worst.

I was being slightly tongue in cheek mate. If the previous Bulls regime had invested as much effort in running a tight ship as they did on marketing the pledge, they may well have gone through less heartache than was eventually the case.

I wish Salford all the best. Even if the whole club is liquidated, I still expect Steve Sims to be part of the rebuild.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#14 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,376 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Some dirty rotten devils have hijacked the Salford thread so this is a welcome alternative.

Mr. Hound very kindly stated in his/your posts from the meeting.....

Salford owe Salford council approx £1,200,000 in loan repayments

Salford owe to ex players £50,000

Salford owe £300,000 to HMRC

Salford owe large directors loans repayments

As they stand now they will also have to find the money to pay the employees and current players to get to the start of the season £250,000, so all in the deficit must be £1,800,000 plus directors loans.

Any new investor is offered the club without the directors loans requiring being paid back.

So I assume any buyer would need £1,800,000 to start the season with the books in balance.

After that there is the matter of what the operating loss would be if the team is not strengthened, and if 8,000 fans don't show up.

£500,000 a year?

Clearly in Laymans language the club is looking for a rich man to front up with a couple of million and then chuck in half a million a year to stand still. Or a million a year to try to see if Salford can be "grown" as a business.

It's my guess they don't exist, but if they do they'll save themselves £2M by letting the club go under and getting it for £1. However if they do that they may not be getting a Superleague club anymore.

What the RFL/SLE think I dunno, but I do know they have not taken the same action for Salford (yet) as they did for Bradford. That's no great signal to any rich investor.

#15 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

It’s nothing that a little revenue sharing wouldn’t fix in a nanosecond. A luxury tax on Leeds and Wigan for all their aggressive cornering of the smaller sides’ better players over recent years and hey presto – a massive potential RL market would be secured to help the league grow and prosper. But instead we’ll just leave it to the free market and in 5 years wonder why small market sides are going to the wall and no-one outside the M62 cares about the sport. At least Featherstone, Leigh and Halifax will still have a stab at a stand-alone SL berth though, so everything will be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users