Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kabbadi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Apparently the England womens team are quite good. I used to love watching Kabbadi on C4. I liked the Punjab kit - a yellow 70's style Adidas t-shirt with "PUNJAB" on the chest. Classic!

http://m.bbc.co.uk/n...gazine-20768822

#2 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

A few years ago the UK Asian Games were held at our local athletics / sports ground in Southampton and I took the family along to have a look.
There were some great sports on display, Kabbadi being one of them.
The one that sticks in my memory was of about 50 men all wearing "traditional" clothing, 3/4 length white loose cotton smock type tops over baggy white cotton trousers, standing in a circle chanting and clapping in unison and at seemingly random moments two guys, one from each side of the circle would rush to the centre, slap each other about the head, shoulders and upper body while the rest of the group went mad clapping, screaming, cheering etc and then they's turn round and go back to their places.
To this day I have no idea what it was about, whether you scored points, if it was a team activity or individual or what but I have seldom been so entertained or seen participants so clearly enjoying themselves.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Rules of Kabaddi. The chanting is because an attack is limited by the time it takes the 'Raider' to run out of breath, at which point he has to get back to his own side. It's good fun, and I used to enjoy watching it on C4 all those years ago too.

Edited by Futtocks, 20 December 2012 - 11:41 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

It's basically tig with knobs on.

#5 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

It's basically tig with knobs on.

That's what I think. However, when I watched the way Ikram Butt avoided tackles, I often wondered if he got the technique from playing Kabaddi.

Edited by Trojan, 21 December 2012 - 11:21 AM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Could be but since all the white rugby league players would have played varients of tig or bulldogs so I don't think it is so very different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users