Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tyrone McCarthy calls for changes to internationals

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/20785541

Tyrone McCarthy wants more competitive international game

Warrington forward Tyrone McCarthy has written to the Rugby Football League, putting forward his ideas to make lesser nations more competitive.
England's Autumn International Series victory was followed by criticism about the standard of opposition they faced.
"It's not competitive enough," said Ireland international McCarthy.
"That's what people have been striving to get - a competitive game for the England team for when they play New Zealand and Australia."
He told BBC Radio Merseyside: "I want Ireland to be a success, but more so, I want the game of rugby league to be a success.
"Sometimes they [the administrators] might not have thought of those ideas. If people aren't saying what they think, how are they supposed to know what's going on in people's minds?"

Posted Image
McCarthy scored a try in Warrington's Challenge Cup final victory over Leeds at Wembley in August

Steve McNamara's side thumped Wales 80-12 in their first match and then cruised to two easy victories over France to claim the trophy last month.
While the Autumn International Series was being played, Ireland were involved in their own mini tournament.
Scotland were beaten 30-18 in Edinburgh, but Ireland were then hammered 56-4 by England Knights - effectively England's reserve side.
McCarthy, who is expected to be part of Ireland's squad for next year's World Cup, wants to see Scotland, Wales and Ireland internationals given more Super League experience, allowing those countries to build stronger national teams as a result.
And players switching their national allegiances is another area where he would like to see changes made.
His Warrington team-mate Ben Harrison and Wigan hooker Michael McIlorum were members of the Ireland squad at the last World Cup in 2008 and have since gone on to earn full honours with England.
"If you look at the lads who have played for Ireland, there are a few that are now England internationals," added the 24-year-old. "It goes to show that good players have represented Ireland over the last few years.
"They've all been eligible [for both England and Ireland] and if those rules are in place - they might have always said they want to play for England - but it takes that question out.
"Maybe the international teams wouldn't feel as discouraged about lads leaving and going on to play for countries at what is seen as a higher level."
The Wolfhounds, currently ranked ninth in the world, have been drawn alongside England, Australia and Fiji at the World Cup.

Ireland's World Cup fixtures

• 28 October: Fiji
  • 2 November: England
  • 9 November: Australia
"The thing we want to achieve is to make sure we're competitive," added McCarthy, a Challenge Cup winner with Warrington in August.
"We don't want to be getting beaten by 20 or 30 points. We want to make sure we're trying to win these games.
"I don't think we could have had a harder group. Fiji is our first game and the top three go through, so that's the massive one that we're looking at. If we win that, that will give us the confidence for the last two games against England and Australia."

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#2 burnleywelsh

burnleywelsh
  • Coach
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

I might be missing something here, but I've read the article several times........... what is he actually saying ??

#3 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

He wants more competitive fixtures but doesn't seem to say how to achieve it. I think everyone wants the same?
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#4 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

I might be missing something here, but I've read the article several times........... what is he actually saying ??

I think he is saying how can u play for 2 country's? which seems to happen quite alot in rl. surely if a player states he is going to play for a certain country, he should not be aloud to switch after a couple of games when he is good enough to play for england, if they sort that out that would make nations more competitive.

Edited by shun, 20 December 2012 - 10:50 PM.

#5 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

I struggled to get exactly what he was dating as well. Especially regarding switching allegiances - not sure if he's for or against! Still, great that he's interested and also taking it up with Red Hall.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#6 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

I think once you have made a senior debut for a country there should be no switching to another country later.

#7 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

It's a very strange article that says nothing. Tyrone's a smart guy who thinks a lot about the game - it'd be interesting to see what he actually thinks should happen.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#8 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

-Posted Image

THIS IS SPARTA!!!

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 21 December 2012 - 07:41 AM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#9 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

THIS IS SPARTA!!!

:D :D

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,813 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

I think once you have made a senior debut for a country there should be no switching to another country later.

Trouble with that is you'd get ambitious young players with dual eligibility saying no to Wales/Scotland/Ireland, as they would be holding out for a chance to play for the more competitive and higher profile England.

Catch-22, anyone?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

I think the main crux is the part where it says he wants to see more Wales, Scotland & Ireland players given a chance in SL. He's probably advocating salary cap exemptions for players who represent those nations and/or an edict that clubs must have a minimum number of players who are eligible for those countries in their team. All of which is nothing new.
My 2nd best hero - Jamie "Super Noodles" Peacock, but he'll never overtake my dad.....

#12 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Trouble with that is you'd get ambitious young players with dual eligibility saying no to Wales/Scotland/Ireland, as they would be holding out for a chance to play for the more competitive and higher profile England.

Catch-22, anyone?

Mid-season European internationals between Eng, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, etc, then bring back GB for end of season tournaments and it stops the problem... :ph34r:

#13 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Catch-22, anyone?

ambitious young players? what like rhys evans?

had he stuck with wales he would have 15+ caps,played in a european cup winning team,played in the 4nations...played against australia & NZ (at wembley no less) and would be a certain pick for the welsh world cup team.......yet he's a million miles away from being selected for england.....

he's missed out big time

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

ambitious young players? what like rhys evans?

had he stuck with wales he would have 15+ caps,played in a european cup winning team,played in the 4nations...played against australia & NZ (at wembley no less) and would be a certain pick for the welsh world cup team.......yet he's a million miles away from being selected for england.....

he's missed out big time

Or maybe he's looking at the big picture. He isn;t a Wire first team player yet so he wouldn;t expect to be anywhere near the England team. He has however played for England Knights and is clearly on the radar and if he develops over the next couple of years then he could be an England regular playing in some of the biggest games around, including tours to Aus/NZ. He will probably never get the opportunity of a tour with Wales (apart from maybe a WC).

By the way, I don;t support his decision!

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,117 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Its good that he feels strongly enough about it to do something.

Speaking of switching allegiances, I'm undecided who to support in the WC and this (ie players with strong opinions) makes me lean towards Ireland.

#16 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

Catch-22, anyone?

There is no catch 22. You build up the other nations so that they have the same opportunities as England, and then allow the players to choose. The fact that everyone outside England, Australia and NZ is seen as second-class or 'lesser' nations in terms of international RL is a disgrace.

#17 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Check out Tyrone's christmas present, a portrait of his try at Warrington's second home.
https://twitter.com/...2032768/photo/1
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#18 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Understand his frustration...bring back lions tours....

#19 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

Understand his frustration...bring back lions tours....

How is this relevant, and more importantly how would it be of any benefit whatsoever to the issues raised by McCarthy?

#20 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

obviously it does'nt

wales,scotland & ireland need a "touring team" of their own...the celtic tigers..

the celtic tigers could replace the exiles as englands mid season challengers

the celtic tigers could tour down under/pacific

the celtic tigers could play off v france for a 4nations berth,if the welsh,scots & irish agree to it...

whats important is the welsh,scots &irish do something that would benefit themselves.......leave england out of it,we'd overshadow them...plus we don't need it...

Edited by roughyedspud, 30 December 2012 - 08:10 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL