Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rovers making headway

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#421 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Still no bonus point, Terry.

And there wouldn't have been even if the score had been 32-31!!!!!!!

#422 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

1: our financial turnover was part of the reason we were given a license, the highest in CC............................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: only by way of 'creative' accounting

#423 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

Nail biting yes.....

Crowds no......

How the heck can you say that since it didn't actually happen. Remember Castleford v Wakefield, winner stays up last day dramatics. Last season relegation would have been decided on points difference. How dramatic and gripping do you want it. You can quote all the research you want but you will nor convince me that Widnes last game would not have drawn a bigger crowd if they were fighting to the last to avoid relegation as opposed to a meaningless game to see who would finish last with nothing mattering whether they did or didn't.

#424 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

Before licensing came in when we had P & R attendances in SL rose steadily.

After licensing came in average crowds dropped because the SL went to 14 clubs.

But average crowds rose again and we average 9431 now

Your heart says one thing, but your head will appreciate the facts, even in these hard economic times SL remains very well supported, P & R isn't a crowd puller, Superleague is.

You make that sound like they are mutually exclusive and there can't be one without the other, which is not true. A relegation battle will contribute to the increase in SL attendances not diminish them.

#425 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Loads. I haven't got all the results but Shuddersfield seem to be the worst offenders.

But .... Leigh, Sheffield and Halifax all made profits last year. Fev lost twice as much as all three of those put together - give or take a few quid. Do they have significantly more on the field success to show for it ? Debateable - but I'd say no.

People tend to see Featherstone as a club whose financial affairs are based on prudence. Companies House say different.

Yes, but all those teams have excellent grounds already. Featherstone did not and are spending money to upgrade their ground to SL standards. Once that expense is over and if they get into SL they might think the losses would be curtailed. Did Saints trade at a profit when they had to build their new ground and spend a season playing at Widnes. Sometimes you need speculation to ensure future accumulation.

#426 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Rovers are covering the losses by borrowing more money. Those lenders will want it back eventually. How will Rovers pay them ? Borrow more money ?

Eventually, Rovers will run out of lenders and sell the land they own.

Is that a bad thing? If we sold all our land we would probably be the richest RL club around today.Also who says we are borrowing money? You seem to know more about my club than I do.

Edited by thundergaz, 30 December 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#427 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Is that a bad thing? If we sold all our land we would probably be the richest RL club around today.Also who says we are borrowing money? You seem to know more about my club than I do.

hmmm. Not for me Gaz. That land represents a good deal of security. Once it's gone so the level of risk increases!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#428 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

hmmm. Not for me Gaz. That land represents a good deal of security. Once it's gone so the level of risk increases!

I agree robin but these investors are not investing in our club for nothing I'm sure their eyes are on our land.

#429 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Yes, but all those teams have excellent grounds already. Featherstone did not and are spending money to upgrade their ground to SL standards. Once that expense is over and if they get into SL they might think the losses would be curtailed. Did Saints trade at a profit when they had to build their new ground and spend a season playing at Widnes. Sometimes you need speculation to ensure future accumulation.

only partly true Gaz. Fev were posting losses before the upgrades commenced.
However, when mark got involved the club was just out of admin after being on its ar se! Team investment to generate interest and make fev competitive.
Then came the ground work only more recently.
However, the club is well run. Losses are controlled and calculated. People get paid. The club keeps progressing...as in the OP's theme of this thread.
Fev don't have daft dez in charge!!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#430 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

only partly true Gaz. Fev were posting losses before the upgrades commenced.
However, when mark got involved the club was just out of admin after being on its ar se! Team investment to generate interest and make fev competitive.
Then came the ground work only more recently.
However, the club is well run. Losses are controlled and calculated. People get paid. The club keeps progressing...as in the OP's theme of this thread.
Fev don't have daft dez in charge!!

Have I moved robin? Or is keighleys name gaz too? Lol

#431 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

I don't pin the cas result last year as evidence of "competability" in SL.Raising your game v a team that is towing is one thing. Sustaining that week in week out is another and as you point out, after 3-4 50 point tuppings heads would go down.

Worth quoting a nicely put bit of reality there Robin.

#432 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Worth quoting a nicely put bit of reality there Robin.

Yeah robin is right. But I'm sure no one at fev thinks we will go up and win x y and z. All we have to do is go up and stay up and build on one higher placing each season. I personally do think though that if we get the chance we will stay up. I'm not saying we would finish in the top 8 or owt like that we only have to finish one place off the bottom and I think that is very achievable for us. (That's if P&R returns) If P&R doesn't return I would be very confident of us not finishing bottom at the end of a 3 year stint.

#433 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Yeah robin is right. But I'm sure no one at fev thinks we will go up and win x y and z. All we have to do is go up and stay up and build on one higher placing each season. I personally do think though that if we get the chance we will stay up. I'm not saying we would finish in the top 8 or owt like that we only have to finish one place off the bottom and I think that is very achievable for us. (That's if P&R returns) If P&R doesn't return I would be very confident of us not finishing bottom at the end of a 3 year stint.

What you want most of all is Mr. Nahaboo to stick to the reported promises he made to fund full wage cap.

Maybe you also want Newmarket to fall through B)

#434 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

What you want most of all is Mr. Nahaboo to stick to the reported promises he made to fund full wage cap.

Maybe for some fev fans. But me personally I don't want another club in our area to fail like Salford and Bradford have so we can get to where we want to get that's not sport. I want to get where we want to get by winning everything in sight and doing everything right off the field.

Edited by thundergaz, 30 December 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#435 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Have I moved robin? Or is keighleys name gaz too? Lol

We could trade as Gazley

#436 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

If all three are in SL, each will have two home derby games which should significantly boost gate receipts just because they are traditional neighbouring rivalries so having all three in SL should be a bonus.

#437 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

If all three are in SL, each will have two home derby games which should significantly boost gate receipts just because they are traditional neighbouring rivalries so having all three in SL should be a bonus.

It's a point of view, it's inward looking though. Why not 3 clubs in Leeds as well, plus two in Hull, and Batley, Dewsbury, Halifax &, Huddersfield.

That's a 12 club Superleague full of derbies.

I deeply apologise for the bilious nature of my post and the fact keighley didn't quite make the cut.

#438 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

It's a point of view, it's inward looking though. Why not 3 clubs in Leeds as well, plus two in Hull, and Batley, Dewsbury, Halifax &, Huddersfield.

That's a 12 club Superleague full of derbies.

I deeply apologise for the bilious nature of my post and the fact keighley didn't quite make the cut.

His theory doesn't work if those three clubs displace Leeds, Hull and Wigan.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#439 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

It's a point of view, it's inward looking though.

Maybe there's a case for the sport as a whole to become inward looking and make it as strong as it can possibly be where it's appreciated the most? Would it then be perceived to be playing to its strengths do you think?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#440 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Maybe there's a case for the sport as a whole to become inward looking and make it as strong as it can possibly be where it's appreciated the most? Would it then be perceived to be playing to its strengths do you think?

IMHO The sport is appreciated the most in the Wakefield AREA. South Bradford/Hudds/Fax, Leeds, Hull, Warrington/Widnes/north Cheshire area, Wigan/greater manchester, Cumbria and St.Helens/merseyside...........

How can we play to our strengths when our strengths lie in only eight areas?

As people rightly say when it boils down to it we only have eight areas capable of producing real super clubs, and including Cumbria is really pushing it. So maybe seven super clubs.

Not enough for a league but once you start putting two clubs into the same area they fight each other for the same fans and players.

But we've been through this a thousand times and Maurice Lyndsay was apparently an idiot, and the more pro clubs you have to the square mile the more things are "symbiotic".

Edited by The Parksider, 30 December 2012 - 09:54 PM.