Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rovers making headway

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#441 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

On this point

These are all pre 2002 when the law regarding administration changed.

Dec 20th 1990
Leigh £900,000 in debt, considering selling ground to relieve chronic financial problems.

January 1991
Leigh enter administration

March 4th 1992
Trafford Borough have an attendance of 150 for their match v Highfield.

April 3rd 1992
Trafford Borough face extinction as they are due in the High Court to answer a winding up petition.

14th Sepember 1993
Oldham escape winding up order by 24 hours. They agree to pay monies from TV games to players who's contracts they didn't honour.

October 1993
Huddersfield enter administration
19 February 1994
Oldham came close to going out of business because of a petition brought against them by an Oldham Athletic Director.

July 1994
Leigh enter administration.

22 July 1994
Doncaster face winding up order

16 Dec 1994
Doncaster, who have debts of around £1.4 million, who have already fought off winding-up orders brought by the Inland Revenue and Customs and Excise this season, are pinning hopes on an administration order, a breathing-space device which would enable them to fulfil their fixtures while seeking new owners.

March 1995
Doncaster in administration.

Very interesting.

Love the way you bring the 150 attendance into it. What the hell as that got to do with anything???

Really digging here aren't you padge. These records don't even match up to Wakefield, Bradford and Crusaders, this is 3 major financial issues in less than 3 years but I suppose you have evidence to show me that the game is in a wonderful state.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#442 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

But we've been through this a thousand times and Maurice Lyndsay was apparently an idiot,

Yes he is and always will be an idiot.

Edited by Ian (Pencil) Elliott, 31 December 2012 - 10:45 AM.

"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#443 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

IMHO The sport is appreciated the most in the Wakefield AREA. South Bradford/Hudds/Fax, Leeds, Hull, Warrington/Widnes/north Cheshire area, Wigan/greater manchester, Cumbria and St.Helens/merseyside...........

How can we play to our strengths when our strengths lie in only eight areas?

As people rightly say when it boils down to it we only have eight areas capable of producing real super clubs, and including Cumbria is really pushing it. So maybe seven super clubs.

Not enough for a league but once you start putting two clubs into the same area they fight each other for the same fans and players.

But we've been through this a thousand times and Maurice Lyndsay was apparently an idiot, and the more pro clubs you have to the square mile the more things are "symbiotic".

But how can one SL club possibly give the very best attention to the considerable number of talented youngsters which are prolifically produced from each of these areas? For example, In order to maximise the potential of the prolific WMDC conveyor belt we surely need all three clubs to have the wherewithal to give the kids the very best coaching possible throughout their development years.

Australia is better than us because of the far superior quantity and subsequent quality it produces. If we go to 12 SL clubs, one of whom is French, the problem worsens still further.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#444 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

What you want most of all is Mr. Nahaboo to stick to the reported promises he made to fund full wage cap.

Maybe you also want Newmarket to fall through B)

To be honest Parky owd cocker, nearly all Fev fans I know and have spoken to on this subject are ambivalent to developments ate Cas or wakey. We've been hearing in local press for decades of such developments! If it happens, it happens. It really doesn't concern me (which is again symptomatic of the way our game is being driven). Almost all of us at Fev are just happy to see our club developing and as Mark Las Palmas posted ages ago....aspiring to be the best we can be!

Edited by Robin Evans, 31 December 2012 - 08:42 AM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#445 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Tho we won't need Faishal. I'm going to win a 160m euromillions and Fev will play at the 'biggingerbloke.com' stadium and run away to Sl GF success!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#446 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

Yes he is and always will be an idiot. I sometimes wonder if you are Lyndsay in disguise.

I had you on ignore for over a year then tried one of your posts when someone had a go at you. Your reply was surprisingly polite so I though I'd take you off ignore. Now you decide to revert to type and ironically play the true idiot yourself.

His analysis of the game was spot on, his solutions in theory were correct in practice unworkable, the alternative solution is working very slowly, but no point discussing it with you, you aren't capable of discussion keyboard warrior. Go back on ignore.

Edited by The Parksider, 31 December 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#447 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

To be honest Parky owd cocker, nearly all Fev fans I know and have spoken to on this subject are ambivalent to developments ate Cas or wakey. We've been hearing in local press for decades of such developments! If it happens, it happens. It really doesn't concern me

I'm sorry Robin, I cannot see three clubs thriving all on top of each other, I can see only one club coming trough to dominate. If your a Fev fan it serves no purpose insulting me for my opinion (which you don't do)

What I can see, is the position you state above where whilst Cas cry out for some money from somewhere, and Glover puts a tin roof over his crumbling terrace whilst Newmarket stands undeveloped, Featherstone develop the ground, set up the academy and find the finances (they are already land rich) to compete in Superleague.

And so it can come to pass that in a 12 club Superleague, Featherstone could end up being top dog in the infamously named "Calder" region. Ive suggested this could happen for years and if any name can rally people to one club it's "little Featherstone". You would need financial support of the Davey type for a long time however - a couple of generations at least.

#448 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

But how can one SL club possibly give the very best attention to the considerable number of talented youngsters which are prolifically produced from each of these areas? For example, In order to maximise the potential of the prolific WMDC conveyor belt we surely need all three clubs to have the wherewithal to give the kids the very best coaching possible throughout their development years.

Leeds don't need three clubs to maximise the potential of the prolific LEEDS conveyor belt, Wigan don't need three clubs to miximise the potential of the prolific WIGAN conveyor belt, HULL don't need three clubs to miximise the potential of the prolific HULL conveyor belt, in fact Leeds developed the talent of Rob Burrow and Hull Tom Briscoe.

Yes Terry I know they missed ZAC, and yes Terry I know Fev beat Cas in the cup, but with respect these one off events don't IMHO justify putting all three clubs in SL. If they all want to be in SL they all need to build an SL ground and find at least £4,000,000 plus a year to run a club in it.

I've no club axe to grind, no hatred of any club, I just look at the facts and figures. I've however stopped looking at the attendances in my Gillette and Rothmans yearbooks because someone said they were all false and pre-SL crowds were far bigger than reported.

Edited by The Parksider, 31 December 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#449 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Very interesting.

Love the way you bring the 150 attendance into it. What the hell as that got to do with anything???

Really digging here aren't you padge. These records don't even match up to Wakefield, Bradford and Crusaders, this is 3 major financial issues in less than 3 years but I suppose you have evidence to show me that the game is in a wonderful state.

Its like the other stuff about how much clubs owe, it give some perspective to the problem at the club. Just like the other observations listed.

Its no different to the posting of doncasters debt before they went bust.

The list blows any possible myth being built up that clubs didn't go into administration before SL.

I wasn't really digging at all, that was not a very refined search, I could possibly find more if I decided to spend more time on it.

Accept it, if people make statements, claims or hint at assumptions then they are open to being challenged and there is a vast wealth of data available to make that challenge. In the modern world it isn't so easy to build up a myth.

Edited by Padge, 31 December 2012 - 09:50 AM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#450 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Yes, but all those teams have excellent grounds already. Featherstone did not and are spending money to upgrade their ground to SL standards. Once that expense is over and if they get into SL they might think the losses would be curtailed. Did Saints trade at a profit when they had to build their new ground and spend a season playing at Widnes. Sometimes you need speculation to ensure future accumulation.

Ground improvements shouldn't affect profit. They are capitalised.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#451 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Is that a bad thing? If we sold all our land we would probably be the richest RL club around today.Also who says we are borrowing money? You seem to know more about my club than I do.

Oh aye - sell your assets and use that money to run the club. And when that runs out ? :huh:

Your directors say the club's borrowing money. In the accounts at Companies House.

#452 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

hmmm. Not for me Gaz. That land represents a good deal of security. Once it's gone so the level of risk increases!

Makes it a lot easier to go bust though. There's nothing to lose when there are no assets left.

That's why Fev should be more cautious than the other clubs.

#453 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Oh aye - sell your assets and use that money to run the club. And when that runs out ? :huh:

Your directors say the club's borrowing money. In the accounts at Companies House.

Stop it you're using factual evidence, have you no fairy stories instead.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#454 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

I agree robin but these investors are not investing in our club for nothing I'm sure their eyes are on our land.

Now there's a thought !! Close down the loss making rugby club, nice little Affordable Housing estate instead - or a few industrial units ...... :(

Edited by Griff, 31 December 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#455 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

Stop it you're using factual evidence, have you no fairy stories instead.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#456 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

What you want most of all is Mr. Nahaboo to stick to the reported promises he made to fund full wage cap.

And how will he "fund" the cap ?

By yet another loan ? :mellow:

#457 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

only partly true Gaz. Fev were posting losses before the upgrades commenced.
However, when mark got involved the club was just out of admin after being on its ar se! Team investment to generate interest and make fev competitive.
Then came the ground work only more recently.
However, the club is well run. Losses are controlled and calculated. People get paid. The club keeps progressing...as in the OP's theme of this thread.
Fev don't have daft dez in charge!!

The last accounts Fev filed were to 31 December 2011. Most of the improvement work has been done after that - so far as I recall, but correct me if I'm wrong.

#458 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

Our BOD say we can afford SL. I believe them than you griff. This is the best BOD we have ever had by far. Mark and Craig are no mugs if we can afford the full salary cap now and as you say we are borrowing money I'm sure mark knows he can pay it back.

Edited by thundergaz, 31 December 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#459 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Our BOD say we can afford SL. I believe them than you griff. This is the best BOD we have ever had by far. Mark and Craig are no mugs if we can afford the full salary cap now and as you say we are borrowing money I'm sure mark knows he can pay it back.

Great. I hope it works out for you. ;)

#460 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

It's been very well reported that their is more investors waiting in the wings if we get SL. Their is quite a few rich investors wanting to back us if we get into SL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users