Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rovers making headway

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#481 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

With regards the financial situation at my club I honestly do not know. What I do know is that when we were relegated to the 3rd flight of RL the club was dying slowly and I thought the end was in site. I can honestly say that for the first time in my life watching my beloved Rovers became a chore and the only satisfaction I got out of going to the club was to have a pint with my mates in the clubhouse.

When Mark Campbell got involved he turned the club around by investing in better players but it did not stop there. The club used to be shut up in between games with very little happening in terms of marketing and utilising the facilities in order to improve turnover. It would be easy fo Mark because he has some money to invest in players and sit back and watch a winning team every week but he wants more from the club and he has gone to great lengths to achieve this. The club is unreckognisable to the one before Mark's investment but it is important that people realise that this is off the pitch as well as on it.

I do not know how much we are in debt and knowing Fev Rovers I always dread bad news is round the corner, so I am enjoying our success while it lasts. If we end up going bust, then I would rather go out in a blaze of glory than where the club were when relegated to CC2.

great post mate!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#482 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,126 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

It would be interesting to know. anyone?

Yes I know the answer to this because I researched it with no club bias and set out the figures on here not long ago.

I'm almost chomping at the bit to say something sarcastic about how facts are ignored when they don't suit.

And something about fairy tales, dreams and fantasy RL but I don't want to get the nasties going :)

#483 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

so re-building the club from the bottom up is a joke?? didn't you read the bit about increasing members to make club more self sufficient?? we currently have around 5000 members and we are spending whay we can afford does that compute??

Not competing for more than 3 years but having a nice little agreemet between your rich chairman and the RFL is a joke. At least Barrow competed, did Mr O'Connor manage to pay all of the creditors in full when he bought Widnes before running his nice tight little ship?

I have nothing against Widnes or Barrow because they are both great clubs but I just can't support franchising even if we achieve promotion this way.

Edited by Ian (Pencil) Elliott, 31 December 2012 - 11:44 AM.

"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#484 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Strange when you look back the idea of SL and franchsing was that it would give financial stability for SL clubs to plan for the future and stop CC clubs spending money they didn't have trying to get into the top flight. Not much has changed in reality.

No sugar daddy or daddies prepared to "invest" for a number of years, no prospect of getting into SL. Maybe the RFL should add having sugar daddies as a criteria for entry.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 31 December 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#485 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

John Wilkinson said that or words to that effect.

Why did John Wilkinson comment on Featherstone ? :huh:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#486 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

fact is the only club in the CC that have the financial stability at the moment is...........................halifax..

An interesting view.

#487 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

When the guy from Probiz was involved with Halifax he said the same thing. Wouldn't be surprised if he said it at Castleford as well. But, other than sponsorship money I don't know of any further investment he or anyone of his contacts made.

Last time I looked he had a dozen investments across a range of sports.

#488 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

Last time I looked he had a dozen investments across a range of sports.

Investments or sponsorship? Has he actually put any of his own money into the club other than in return for Probiz appearing on the cub shirts etc?

Edited by a.n Other, 31 December 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#489 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Investments or sponsorship?

That is indeed a pertinent question.

The website counts names on jerseys, basically.

#490 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

OK - he's now down to eleven, having dumped Cas and Fax.

West Brom, Sheffield United, Wolves, Blackburn, Wigan, Fev, Sussex, Hampshire, Lancashire, Leicestershire and Essex.

Bit of a scatter-gun approach.

#491 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Investments or sponsorship? Has he actually put any of his own money into the club other than in return for Probiz appearing on the cub shirts etc?

Yes!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#492 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Not competing for more than 3 years but having a nice little agreemet between your rich chairman and the RFL is a joke. At least Barrow competed, did Mr O'Connor manage to pay all of the creditors in full when he bought Widnes before running his nice tight little ship?

I have nothing against Widnes or Barrow because they are both great clubs but I just can't support franchising even if we achieve promotion this way.

i still haven't forgiven fev for dumping wildbore on us.......................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#493 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Yes!

Good stuff. What has he invested in? He normally isn't the type of guy not to shout about what he has done.

#494 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Yes!

And is it a loan ?

Will he be wanting it back ? :mellow:

#495 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

And is it a loan ?

Will he be wanting it back ? :mellow:

No

#496 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

No

Marvellous.

#497 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Good stuff. What has he invested in? He normally isn't the type of guy not to shout about what he has done.

I know what he as invested in but I'm not willing to put it up on a public forum if he or our club wanted you to know they would make it public and as for all this finance talk you will see how much finances we have when we submit our licence for SL and I bet you are amazed I was and potential for a lot more income too.

#498 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

I know what he as invested in but I'm not willing to put it up on a public forum if he or our club wanted you to know they would make it public and as for all this finance talk you will see how much finances we have when we submit our licence for SL and I bet you are amazed I was and potential for a lot more income too.

What's the secrecy for? Again, he normally shouts what he has done from the roof tops. Would be interested to know what he has done at Featherstone that he didn't do at Fax or Cas.

#499 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Why? Do you have knowledge of the other clubs finances?

No but it's well known fax couldn't support SL with their last licence bid. Leigh have just come out of admin and the eagles would struggle on a 200 fan base.

#500 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

That's fine and I'm sure the club will be grateful to you for respecting their confidentiality. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users