Rovers making headway

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#501 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

What's the secrecy for? Again, he normally shouts what he has done from the roof tops. Would be interested to know what he has done at Featherstone that he didn't do at Fax or Cas.

All I can say is he as done more for us in 6 months than he did in the time at c@s and fax.

#502 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

........ and the eagles would struggle on a 200 fan base.

So would Fev - or indeed anyone. But how is that relevant ? :huh:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#503 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

No but it's well known fax couldn't support SL with their last licence bid. Leigh have just come out of admin and the eagles would struggle on a 200 fan base.

But neither could Bradford,and Salford and they had been given licences in the last round. So what the RFL released shouldn't really be trusted should it? And Tony Abbot has just become our biggest shareholder, so you can't really make any calls on other clubs finances could you? Especially when your own club is losing money year on year.

#504 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

So would Fev - or indeed anyone. But how is that relevant ? :huh:

It was just an other asking me why I thought no other club besides us in the champ could fund SL sorry griff didn't mean to upset you 50 eagles fans😄😄😄

#505 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

All I can say is he as done more for us in 6 months than he did in the time at c@s and fax.

He was only a sponsor at Fax, regardless of what he said when he first became involved. As long as he paid the sponsorship money the that's all we needed from him in the long on run.

So what changes has he made at Featherstone?

#506 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

But neither could Bradford,and Salford and they had been given licences in the last round. So what the RFL released shouldn't really be trusted should it? And Tony Abbot has just become our biggest shareholder, so you can't really make any calls on other clubs finances could you? Especially when your own club is losing money year on year.

The problem is we can cover our losses can you? Doubt it and I take it your a fax fan?

#507 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

The problem is we can cover our losses can you? Doubt it and I take it your a fax fan?

Halifax don't need to cover the loses, they don't currently make any.

#508 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

i still haven't forgiven fev for dumping wildbore on us.......................

Pah, two words for you and the 2nd one is Currier!! ;)

Always good value at Fev, Wildbore.

#509 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

Halifax don't need to cover the loses, they don't currently make any.

If you want to get out of this league you have to expect losses and big losses too. You can't fund SL unless you have money and plenty of it too and we so happen to have plenty with hopefully more investors coming on board too in the not so distant future.

#510 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

It was just an other asking me why I thought no other club besides us in the champ could fund SL sorry griff didn't mean to upset you 50 eagles fans

Ah - I see. It was just one of those 78% of statistics that are made up on the spot. <_<

#511 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

If you want to get out of this league you have to expect losses and big losses too. You can't fund SL unless you have money and plenty of it too and we so happen to have plenty with hopefully more investors coming on board too in the not so distant future.

No doubt you need money in SL but why do you need to make losses in the CC? Halifax have won the most major trophies in the last 3 seasons and they aren't losing money.

#512 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

But if I'm being realistic if we don't get SL I really do doubt another champ club will get SL. We have been lucky that we have backers with deep pockets and if they can't get us into SL then I hate to say it but it could be the end for champ clubs dreams of playing in SL.

#513 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

So you don't think the presence of all three clubs in SL would increase the production line of top class players coming through? I find that hard to understand. Logistically, there aren't enough places at one club to accommodate all the talent which the area produces each year. How could the remaining two CC clubs finance high quality development pathways when there's no assistance from the governing body? Not one of the area's three clubs will ever be as cash rich as Leeds, Wigan or Hull and to suggest that just one area SL club is sufficient to take care of the abundance of kids which play the game in WMDC makes no sense to me

Your definition of a top class player seems to be a player who has a talent for Rugby League who then goes through a professional academy system at a Superleague club.

I find that equally hard to understand.

Every year a new age group qualify for academy and every year scouts at Superleague and top championship clubs go round to find the best three hundred or whatever.

Then these lads go through the academy and the very top talents get signed on professionally. Most drop out.

Then after a time playing reserve, and getting first team chances some get into the first team squad many drop down to Championship and many drop out again.

Increasing the number of kids in the system isn't going to produce more top class professional RL players, it's going to increase dissapointment. Increasing the number of kids playing at schools and amateur clubs may widen the top class talent pool.

In my experience at the local soccer club we get one or two really talented kids a year picked off us, and these are the outstanding kids, the scouts aren't stupid. Most come back to us in time. The odd one a decade turns fully pro.

Yes Terry, Zac Hardaker was missed and yes he may be a late developer too but you can't spend hundreds of thousands on academy systems to try to pick up a zac once every few years.

If the RFL have money it needs to go to development officers not professional clubs.

The sad thing for the Wakefield area is Gareth Ellis, Rob Burrow, Tom Briscoe, etc choose to leave it.

One day the area may have a top Superleague club, that may see more kids getting interested in and playing the game, and these top kids may want to stay in the area and play for that club.

Let's hope it's Fev Terry

#514 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

But if I'm being realistic if we don't get SL I really do doubt another champ club will get SL. We have been lucky that we have backers with deep pockets and if they can't get us into SL then I hate to say it but it could be the end for champ clubs dreams of playing in SL.

That's just your opinion. You have no idea what other clubs directors are will to do for a club. Infact you are secretive about what your own directors have done apart from cover losses at CC level.

#515 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Yeah - that's probably my issue with Fev's strategy.

Personally, I see nothing clever about lending part of your personal fortune to a club so that it can just buy success it can't really afford. No risk on behalf of the lender - if he wants his money back he can just sell the land, pay off the five mortgages and take his money from the remainder. What exactly is clever about it ? To me, it smacks of Harry Enfield's Loadsamoney - "look at my wad".

And what exactly do you mean by "cover your losses" ? With what ? More debt ? Asset sales ?

#516 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

No doubt you need money in SL but why do you need to make losses in the CC? Halifax have won the most major trophies in the last 3 seasons and they aren't losing money.

It's not just about on field though is it? That's probably the smallest factor in today's SL bid. It's more of everything off the field like we run top class academy teams which need funding we promote the club we are upgrading our stadium out gym is now SL quality etc etc

#517 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,971 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Like I posted earlier. Mark got involved when the club was on it's ar se! Initial investment in the team to generate interest, rekindle the flame... (insert any other platitude) was a calculated spend. Then comes the funding of the scholarship and regeneration of the ground which doesn't come cheap. However, all the losses are covered, calculated and managed.However, as Griff so rightfully points out, there will come a day when the club will have to take a different approach. I have nowt but confidence in the BoD. For now at least, all seems to be going to plan.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#518 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Yeah - that's probably my issue with Fev's strategy.

Personally, I see nothing clever about lending part of your personal fortune to a club so that it can just buy success it can't really afford. No risk on behalf of the lender - if he wants his money back he can just sell the land, pay off the five mortgages and take his money from the remainder. What exactly is clever about it ? To me, it smacks of Harry Enfield's Loadsamoney - "look at my wad".

And what exactly do you mean by "cover your losses" ? With what ? More debt ? Asset sales ?

We are not in DEBT I'm sick of telling people this. Ok every club is in some kind of debt somewhere along the line but unless mark walks we will not go bust I'm very confident of that.

#519 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

I think Abbott can afford to part fund Fax in SL. By how much is the question. My concern with any money man is what happens when they go? A money man is OK for the now. But what about the future? Clubs need to spend money on the future and building things that can help them on and off the field. Sadly too many clubs think only on the playing aspect and now instead of the future. SL is not that important for Fax , Fev or whoever. SL is a club killer and is run badly both by the SL Board and clubs. I would rather Fax stay where they are and see what the future of SL brings. Right now its offering nothing. The poor managemnet within our game is hurting clubs both in and outside of SL

#520 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,971 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

a.n.other - have a gander at your pm.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users