Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rovers making headway

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#521 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

That's just your opinion. You have no idea what other clubs directors are will to do for a club. Infact you are secretive about what your own directors have done apart from cover losses at CC level.

Don't press Gaz to reveal the club's confidential business. It's not right.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#522 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

I think Abbott can afford to part fund Fax in SL. By how much is the question. My concern with any money man is what happens when they go? A money man is OK for the now. But what about the future? Clubs need to spend money on the future and building things that can help them on and off the field. Sadly too many clubs think only on the playing aspect and now instead of the future. SL is not that important for Fax , Fev or whoever. SL is a club killer and is run badly both by the SL Board and clubs. I would rather Fax stay where they are and see what the future of SL brings. Right now its offering nothing. The poor managemnet within our game is hurting clubs both in and outside of SL

Can't argue with that good post I think the same too at the minute.

#523 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Like I posted earlier. Mark got involved when the club was on it's ar se! Initial investment in the team to generate interest, rekindle the flame... (insert any other platitude) was a calculated spend. Then comes the funding of the scholarship and regeneration of the ground which doesn't come cheap. However, all the losses are covered, calculated and managed.However, as Griff so rightfully points out, there will come a day when the club will have to take a different approach. I have nowt but confidence in the BoD. For now at least, all seems to be going to plan.

I hope it doesn't come across that I am having a go at someone like Campbell who has turned the club round and its to be applauded. My posts are just in response to people stating other clubs don't have any potential to go for SL when there is no real evidence to back up their claims.

#524 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Strange when you look back the idea of SL and franchsing was that it would give financial stability for SL clubs to plan for the future and stop CC clubs spending money they didn't have trying to get into the top flight. Not much has changed in reality.

No sugar daddy or daddies prepared to "invest" for a number of years, no prospect of getting into SL. Maybe the RFL should add having sugar daddies as a criteria for entry.

I think it is already there Mr. Ram.

Without Mr. Hughes Broncos business plan would be laughable.

Without Mr. Davey Fartowns business plan would have been be laughable.

Without Mr. Wilkinson Salford's business plan will be laughable.

#525 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

I think Abbott can afford to part fund Fax in SL. By how much is the question. My concern with any money man is what happens when they go? A money man is OK for the now. But what about the future? Clubs need to spend money on the future and building things that can help them on and off the field. Sadly too many clubs think only on the playing aspect and now instead of the future. SL is not that important for Fax , Fev or whoever. SL is a club killer and is run badly both by the SL Board and clubs. I would rather Fax stay where they are and see what the future of SL brings.

That is a very very good post

#526 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

We are not in DEBT I'm sick of telling people this.

Stop telling them then. It's not true anyway.

#527 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

I hope it doesn't come across that I am having a go at someone like Campbell who has turned the club round and its to be applauded. My posts are just in response to people stating other clubs don't have any potential to go for SL when there is no real evidence to back up their claims.

I wasn't having a go at you either. It's just a friendly debate and yes I have facts whether they stand up or not I do not know. But Leigh have just come out of admin so funding SL would be very hard for them at the minute. You guys at the moment can't fund it unless you get some investors or one as the last round of licensing proved and we know the eagles can't.

#528 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

I wasn't having a go at you either. It's just a friendly debate and yes I have facts whether they stand up or not I do not know. But Leigh have just come out of admin so funding SL would be very hard for them at the minute. You guys at the moment can't fund it unless you get some investors or one as the last round of licensing proved and we know the eagles can't.

I haven't taken it as having ago. But I don't agree with your thoughts and the and have asked for you to back up your statements. I don't know what Featherstone's finances are. I wouldn't comment if they could fund SL or not. I do know they are currently making a loss. Likewise I dont know if Halifax could finance SL. The directors have said that's what they are aiming for so I assumes they could.

#529 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Yeah - that's probably my issue with Fev's strategy.

Personally, I see nothing clever about lending part of your personal fortune to a club so that it can just buy success it can't really afford. No risk on behalf of the lender - if he wants his money back he can just sell the land, pay off the five mortgages and take his money from the remainder. What exactly is clever about it ? To me, it smacks of Harry Enfield's Loadsamoney - "look at my wad".

Your posts are brilliant but I probably disagree here, not on principle, but in practice.

Why have money to invest in Featherstone as a Superleague Club and not use it?

I personally think if Newmarket eventually comes off Wakefield will mop up in the area, now is looking like the right time to get the right bid in and get the club into Superleague 2015-2018 paying full salary cap and attracting the areas best youngsters to the academy.

What is the land asset there to secure?? A small championship club ad infinitum?

Surely you have to invest at the right time? This may be it??

#530 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Your posts are brilliant but I probably disagree here, not on principle, but in practice.

I personally think if Newmarket eventually comes off Wakefield will mop up in the area, now is looking like the right time to get the right bid in and get the club into Superleague 2015-2018 paying full salary cap and attracting the areas best youngsters to the academy.

What is the land asset there to secure?? A small championship club ad infinitum?

Got to agree parky because in this day and age what is the point in continuing as a club if your not in SL? I personally think clubs will be killed off anyway in the next 20 years if they are not in SL.I think its sh** or bust for champ clubs at the minute.If we go bust so be it because whats the point in trolling around in a division where there is nothing to gain?

Edited by thundergaz, 31 December 2012 - 01:30 PM.

#531 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

I don't have a problem if anyone wants to buy sponsorship from the club. That creates a permanent income for the club, not repayable.

I do have a problem with just lending the club money. That creates a debt, repayable from future income with repercussions for the club in the future. And then again - I question the motives. If it's only a loan, obviously the lender is thinking about having it back sometime.

Land asset ? Could be huge if the club went into liquidation and something else was built there.

#532 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

I don't have a problem if anyone wants to buy sponsorship from the club. That creates a permanent income for the club, not repayable.

I do have a problem with just lending the club money. That creates a debt, repayable from future income with repercussions for the club in the future. And then again - I question the motives. If it's only a loan, obviously the lender is thinking about having it back sometime.

Land asset ? Could be huge if the club went into liquidation and something else was built there.

Thats just it though griff if we dont get SL what have we really got to lose? Because im in no doubt the BOD would walk if we had no chance of SL so we would be in the crapper anyway so we might as well go belly up because c*s and wakey would bleed us dry anyway.

Edited by thundergaz, 31 December 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#533 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Thats just it though griff if we dont get SL what have we really got lose? Because im in no doubt the BOD would walk if we had no chance of SL so we would be in the crapper anyway so we might as well go belly up because c*s and wakey would bleed us dry anyway.

There's still a good competition in the Championship. People coming on here (amongst other places) and saying how ###### it is and how their club will die if they're not in $uperleague doesn't encourage your average WavyMavis fan to get themselves through the turnstiles.

I'd like to see p+r back. But we need to have a pathway for clubs to build their way to success. Will being in $uperleague quadruple Featherstone's turnover ? Which is conservatively what you'd need, bearing in mind that they're nowhere near breaking even - even on a Championship salary cap. How deep are the directors' pockets ? (Rhetorical question, obviously)

#534 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

I do apologise if I have not made myself clear.

If Rovers have spare land they can sell off to secure the ready cash from a rich man to fund a real go at Superleague 2015-2018 then why not go for it??

It's a judgement call of course but I can't see a better time than NOW to try to be top dog in the area. Wakefield's plans may see them dominate in years to come and then the land value will be of no value in terms of securing SL status.

Rovers don't want a big stretch of land for the future, they want superleague which is far more valuable to them?

#535 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

If Rovers have spare land they can sell off to secure the ready cash from a rich man to fund a real go at Superleague 2015-2018 then why not go for it??

It's a judgement call of course but I can't see a better time than NOW to try to be top dog in the area. Wakefield's plans may see them dominate in years to come and then the land value will be of no value in terms of securing SL status.

Rovers don't want a big stretch of land for the future, they want superleague which is far more valuable to them?

Spot on parky

#536 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

There's still a good competition in the Championship. People coming on here (amongst other places) and saying how ###### it is and how their club will die if they're not in $uperleague doesn't encourage your average WavyMavis fan to get themselves through the turnstiles.

I'd like to see p+r back. But we need to have a pathway for clubs to build their way to success. Will being in $uperleague quadruple Featherstone's turnover ? Which is conservatively what you'd need, bearing in mind that they're nowhere near breaking even - even on a Championship salary cap. How deep are the directors' pockets ? (Rhetorical question, obviously)

I dont know how deep the pockets are. But they have said we would use the full salary cap up if we got into SL.P&R for the game maybe for featherstone rovers NO CHANCE.

Edited by thundergaz, 31 December 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#537 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

I dont know how deep the pockets are. But they have said we would use the full salary cap up if we got into SL.

If that means buying goods or services from the club to fund it, that's great.

If it means the club borrowing more money and incurring more debt, that's very bad news.

We don't have enough information at present .......

#538 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

If that means buying goods or services from the club to fund it, that's great.

If it means the club borrowing more money and incurring more debt, that's very bad news.

We don't have enough information at present .......

True but im sure come the next licensing we will all know.

#539 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

This reply is purely speculative but I suspect that it wouldn't be easy to sell off the spare land as there'd be access problems to resolve. The spare bit is landlocked between the ground and the railway line.

There has been talk in the past of moving the ground further towards the railway and sticking a supermarket on the bit nearest Post Office Road. Nothing came of it and, frankly, there are better sites in Featherstone if anyone wanted to build another supermarket.

My point was that IF it came to it and IF the club closed down, potentially, there's a nice bit of town centre real estate there. If a lender wanted to bail out and get their money back, probably just the threat of closure would be enough for some other muggins - er, benefactor - to come along and pay them off.

Thus - little or no risk to the lender's "investment".

#540 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

True but im sure come the next licensing we will all know.

Looking forward to it ............