Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rovers making headway

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#541 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

If you want to get out of this league you have to expect losses and big losses too. You can't fund SL unless you have money and plenty of it too and we so happen to have plenty with hopefully more investors coming on board too in the not so distant future.

which is what i said before about budgeting, to support the club as a going concern in it's own right the simple answer is bums on seats. we at widnes could easily sit back and let SO'C fund the club per se, but he himself doesn't want that, it is up to the supporters to help finance the club as much as the board and chairman. a great example is warrington, at wilderspool with crowds of 4000 they struggled to compete, but a move and a massive increase in crowds to around 12000 has allowed them to be competetive on and off the pitch. that is what our chairman is targetting for us and for me it is the best way forward...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#542 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

This reply is purely speculative but I suspect that it wouldn't be easy to sell off the spare land as there'd be access problems to resolve. The spare bit is landlocked between the ground and the railway line.

There has been talk in the past of moving the ground further towards the railway and sticking a supermarket on the bit nearest Post Office Road. Nothing came of it and, frankly, there are better sites in Featherstone if anyone wanted to build another supermarket.

My point was that IF it came to it and IF the club closed down, potentially, there's a nice bit of town centre real estate there. If a lender wanted to bail out and get their money back, probably just the threat of closure would be enough for some other muggins - er, benefactor - to come along and pay them off.

Thus - little or no risk to the lender's "investment".

I understand Griff, whether featherstone high street is really a "Town Centre" I dunno :D

It comes back to a judgement call. Does the club want to shhhhh! or bust going for SL now? Or do they sit back like LRL suggests because a better opportunity may come along, and if not at least they secure the club for second tier status from now to eternity?

This assumes Mr. Nahaboo and other investors are providing loans only against the assets and are not gifting Fev Millions.

Fev fans vote now....

#543 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

I understand Griff, whether featherstone high street is really a "Town Centre" I dunno :D

It comes back to a judgement call. Does the club want to shhhhh! or bust going for SL now? Or do they sit back like LRL suggests because a better opportunity may come along, and if not at least they secure the club for second tier status from now to eternity?

This assumes Mr. Nahaboo and other investors are providing loans only against the assets and are not gifting Fev Millions.

Fev fans vote now....

Our BOD are no mugs they would'nt allow their dream of SL to be put in peril.We could just sit back like widnes did and get everything off the field SL quality but our BOD dont want to just do that and if they believe they can fund both i believe they can too.

#544 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Fev fans vote now....

Once you've sold it, it's gone along with a lot of bargaining power.

On the other hand, the way corporate finances are these days, why not sell, lease back and, if the club does go bust - just start up another company with a clean slate.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#545 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

Once you've sold it, it's gone along with a lot of bargaining power.

On the other hand, the way corporate finances are these days, why not sell, lease back and, if the club does go bust - just start up another company with a clean slate.

I would sell it personally because if we dont get SL what have we got to lose 100 years of champ rugby with nothing but tin cups to show for it? Plus our BOD will walk if we dont get SL so we would be on our ar*e again so we might as well go for it or go bust.

#546 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Plus our BOD will walk if we dont get SL so we would be on our ar*e again so we might as well go for it or go bust.

If that's the case do they really have the long term future of the club at heart? I would question if I wanted them to be in charge of a club I love.

#547 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

I would sell it personally because if we dont get SL what have we got to lose 100 years of champ rugby with nothing but tin cups to show for it? Plus our BOD will walk if we dont get SL so we would be on our ar*e again so we might as well go for it or go bust.

you already have the on field criteria box ticked now you have the others to tick, it took widnes 5 years to have a successful bid, and we proved that a club from outside the top flight can gate crash the party on our own merits even in the licensing system, i hope featherstone achieve their goal but there is a massive amount of hard work still to be done........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#548 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

If that's the case do they really have the long term future of the club at heart? I would question if I wanted them to be in charge of a club I love.

Why? there is nothing in the champ for any owner.If we do get SL they will be here to stay for a long time.If we go bust or mark walks away at least we can say we tried.(i dont want us to go bust etc but i dont want 100 years of slugging it out in the champ either or champ one}

#549 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Why? there is nothing in the champ for any owner.If we do get SL they will be here to stay for a long time.If we go bust or mark walks away at least we can say we tried.(i dont want us to go bust etc but i dont want 100 years of slugging it out in the champ either or champ one}

I would question any "sh*t or bust" mentality. Which it would appear from your posts that's what the club are aiming for.

#550 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

What sort of price can you get for land with no access ?

What would a developer build ? A helipad ?

That's the problem with just selling off the spare bit ............

#551 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

I would question any "sh*t or bust" mentality. Which it would appear from your posts that's what the club are aiming for.

To be honest i dont know just speculating.But can you see our BOD and investors staying around if we have no chance of SL? [i cant}

#552 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Great point.

#553 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

We or they would make access im sure.At the back of the family stand would be easy to make access.

Edited by thundergaz, 31 December 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#554 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

you already have the on field criteria box ticked now you have the others to tick, it took widnes 5 years to have a successful bid, and we proved that a club from outside the top flight can gate crash the party on our own merits even in the licensing system, i hope featherstone achieve their goal but there is a massive amount of hard work still to be done........

sensible post! I would add that the Fev BoD are indeed graftin their ar ses off. I believe it's a distinct possibility if SL is to remain as a 14 club comp. Who would make way is a much more difficult question....
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#555 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

absolutely!

#556 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

We or they would make access im sure.At the back of the family stand would be easy to make access.

Really ?

It's very narrow .......

Edited by Griff, 31 December 2012 - 02:37 PM.

#557 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

There will be access to the land when the housing development is built opposite the junction pub that will have a new access road, although this has upset some residents with the traffic congestion that this will cause. But hope that clears the access part up. And with the access sorted and the area already pinpointed by the council for housing development is that going to increase the value of the land Rovers own? I would think so.

#558 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Really ?

It's very narrow .......

Daz as covered it for me i was just about to say the exact same thing.

#559 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

sensible post! I would add that the Fev BoD are indeed graftin their ar ses off. I believe it's a distinct possibility if SL is to remain as a 14 club comp. Who would make way is a much more difficult question....

What you need to ask - and this is a rhetorical question again - is who are we better than ?

Not - are we good enough to be in $uperleague ?

Ideally, we'd have around 20 clubs good enough to be in $uperleague and then we could have p+r back.

#560 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

What you need to ask - and this is a rhetorical question again - is who are we better than ?

Not - are we good enough to be in $uperleague ?

Ideally, we'd have around 20 clubs good enough to be in $uperleague and then we could have p+r back.

I realise this Richie!