Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rovers making headway

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#561 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

What you need to ask - and this is a rhetorical question again - is who are we better than ?

Not - are we good enough to be in $uperleague ?

Ideally, we'd have around 20 clubs good enough to be in $uperleague and then we could have p+r back.

I think we will replace c*s because we will have a SL stadium and they wont by the looks of it and their skint.

#562 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

There will be access to the land when the housing development is built opposite the junction pub that will have a new access road, although this has upset some residents with the traffic congestion that this will cause. But hope that clears the access part up. And with the access sorted and the area already pinpointed by the council for housing development is that going to increase the value of the land Rovers own? I would think so.

Hmmm - I didn't think it was going that far up but, if it is, that could well be very useful for Rovers.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#563 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

I think we will replace c*s because we will have a SL stadium and they wont by the looks of it and their skint.

Could be - having a CEO who's never actually won in Cas as player, coach or administrator is a bit of an albatross round their neck. :lol:

#564 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hmmm - I didn't think it was going that far up but, if it is, that could well be very useful for Rovers.

The council want our land for housing they will make it go that far i bet :lol: :lol: :lol:.They are like the RFL they will get what they want eventually

Edited by thundergaz, 31 December 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#565 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Well, the only caveat I have is that access can depend on a small strip of land that someone else owns. That's when you get held to ransom.

Anyway - just more speculation at the moment.

#566 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Well, the only caveat I have is that access can depend on a small strip of land that someone else owns. That's when you get held to ransom.

Anyway - just more speculation at the moment.

That would be the councils problem not ours though would'nt it? Also isnt the allotments council owned anyway.

Edited by thundergaz, 31 December 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#567 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,175 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

What you need to ask - and this is a rhetorical question again - is who are we better than ?

Not - are we good enough to be in $uperleague ?

Ideally, we'd have around 20 clubs good enough to be in $uperleague and then we could have p+r back.

Great point as always.

Mr. O'Connor's money and business acumen made Widnes better than a bankrupt Crusaders.

That doesn't YET make them a superleague club in the true sense of the word.

#568 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

That would be the council's problem, not ours, though would'nt it?

Yeah, but, Gaz - if it was a problem, the Council wouldn't buy it.

They wouldn't pay a fat wad to Fev and then say "Bless me, we can't actually get there".

#569 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

They wouldn't pay a fat wad to Fev and then say "Bless me, we can't actually get there".

:lol: no but they would'nt give fev a fat wad in the first place without giving the owner a fat wad. But i think im right that the allotments are council owned anyway so that would'nt be a problem griff.

#570 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

It will not be going all the way up straight away but like any new development they plan for the next phase so the next development can be built, ie- the road can be added to when needed. But i dont know if Rovers are planning to utilise this in the near future.

#571 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

I do know the land is worth an 8 figure sum though so if the land does get sold. BINGO :lol: :lol:

#572 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

I do know the land is worth an 8 figure sum though so if the land does get sold. BINGO :lol: :lol:

Two of those figures are the pence though .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

#573 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Two of those figures are the pence though .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I do think your right though griff i do think our club will hold onto the land as long as possible.just for security reasons alone

#574 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Ground improvements shouldn't affect profit. They are capitalised.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that but grounds cost money whatever it means and when the grounds are built the same amount of money will not need to be put in ground accounts or capitalised ( whatever that means ). The money that was previously diverted into the ground construction costs can be used for other purposes, one of which could be reducing or eliminating the debt entered into to construct the ground.

#575 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that but grounds cost money whatever it means and when the grounds are built the same amount of money will not need to be put in ground accounts or capitalised ( whatever that means ). The money that was previously diverted into the ground construction costs can be used for other purposes, one of which could be reducing or eliminating the debt entered into to construct the ground.

Thats just it though keighley once our ground is built all the profits go back into the club unlike leigh and fax etc that dont own their own ground.

#576 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Money that's spent on assets that are expected to last a number of years are not written off in the year that the expenditure is made. The cost is spread over a number of years - its expected useful life. Obviously there's an element of opinion in here, but Fev spread the cost of any property over 50 years. So if they spend, say, £50000 on a building in any year, only £1000 goes against profits in that year. Plus, obviously, £1000 in each of the next 49 years.

#577 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Thats just it though keighley once our ground is built all the profits go back into the club unlike leigh and fax etc that dont own their own ground.

What increased revenue will the new stand/stands bring that you don't all ready have? Is there additional corporate dining etc in the new stands?

#578 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Money that's spent on assets that are expected to last a number of years are not written off in the year that the expenditure is made. The cost is spread over a number of years - its expected useful life. Obviously there's an element of opinion in here, but Fev spread the cost of any property over 50 years. So if they spend, say, £50000 on a building in any year, only £1000 goes against profits in that year. Plus, obviously, £1000 in each of the next 49 years.

I could be wrong griff but im sure our club does it yearly based only.

#579 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

i know it may be hard for the village idiots to comprehend, but a rich chairman doesn't always fund the club out of his own pocket. steve o'connor is our chairman and owner but he has stated many times since he took over the club that he wants the club to become self sufficient, starting with a minimum target of 7,000 stronghold members. that was the projected figure his accountant said would enable the club to spend the full salary cap, without going into the red. a rich chairman does not always equate to instant success, and very often when it does the club invariably ends up going #### up.............as a prime example just look at barrow, dessie fraudulantly funded the team with no regard to anything else and ok they won trophies as soon as the story broke about the brown envelope culture at the club the were stripped of all their points and relegated. i have the greatest sympathy with barrow fans who had tasted success for the first time in many many years, only for the actions of one man to taint their memories of the good times. rewind a bit further to 2007 when widnes had the best team ever seen in the CC the likes of blanch, grix, wilkes etc etc, all funded by ###### or bust financial strategy, the 2007 CC grand final was supposed to be the crowning glory on a great season for us. but i found out on the morning of the game that the players hadn;t been paid for 2 months and that if they lost the grand final the club would go into administration, the debacle of a display against castleford shocked and saddened many widnes fans, but i am convinced to this day that the players deliberately lost the GF to gain a release from the club. this was confirmed for me by one of the players i met a couple of years later, that is why the club needs to be built before the team, it's great winning everything in the CC but sometimes the stark reality is that being a big fish in a small pond doesn't mean anything in the long run............

If O'Connor sticks to his guns, Widnes might become the next Salford. 7,000 average attendances is a big ask at Widnes. The salary cap needs to be lowered if they want full time professional clubs to be financially stable outside the top 3 or 4 who can manage as is at present.

#580 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

What increased revenue will the new stand/stands bring that you don't all ready have? Is there additional corporate dining etc in the new stands?

i dont know about dinning,food stalls etc but it will be able hold more fans and a lot of people ive talked to want that end to be the fev end and make it like the old bullock shed with the atmosphere etc.But im sure food stalls etc will be available of some sort.But im in no doubt that if that stand becomes the old bullock shed we will get more fev fans through the gates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users