TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now Β£14.99 / Kindle Buy Now Β£14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Rovers making headway

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#21 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

Looks fantastic! cant wait to see the finished article If salford very unfortunatly go broke, I think Fev has to be the first choice to replace them in SL..

I agree wakey πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„. But on a serious note I don't want us to go in yet as we're not ready at the minute. I want us to go in when were ready which will be in 2015 and then we can have a proper crack at it.

Edited by thundergaz, 21 December 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#22 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

No need to be so defensive. Where have I said the club should not do that. In any case, we've already had a good response from Trojan. I really expected that you'd have an instant response.

OK, lets try again. Why is the club doing all this?

Not being defensive, just surprised that you should ask such a question. Trojan summed it up pretty well I think. Fev is an ambitious, forward thinking club which embraces all that's good in the game. Apart from the full time aspect it operates right now like a SL club is expected to to. It has attracted two Global sponsors in the past couple of weeks, it will be running a full development pathway, it has award winning community programmes, ladies team, wheelchair team and increased its fan base by 38% over the past year. The first team has been defeated only 5 times in the past three seasons, a performance of consistency which is unrivalled in any sport at any level. The club has done all of the above without Sky funding, a magnificent effort by all concerned. It deserves its chance at the top table and it believes it can make a success if the opportunity comes its way.

So what makes you ask the question?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#23 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

We'll see.

The ground will probably happen Gav, the predicted revival and turn round in fortunes wont, sadly York will go bust before boom as will several other championship clubs in the next 2 seasons.

Edited by Gary Coyle, 21 December 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#24 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

The ground will probably happen Gav, the predicted revival and turn round in fortunes wont, sadly York will go bust before boom as will several other championship clubs in the next 2 seasons.

So you're privvy to York's full business plan for the next few seasons then. Do you have the lottery numbers for the next two seasons too?

There simply isnt the money or interest, how much did Batley get from loverugbyleague for the ground renaming rights, i doubt you can answer that in actual monetary terms, sad that clubs are having to resort to back scratching, favours and a bit of free advertising to survive.

Well, you clearly aren't privvy to Batley's business plan then, because you are way off the mark with this one, by a considerable amount too.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings Gav but until the RFL reintroduce promotion and relegation Championship clubs including the few deluded ones have nothing to promote to potential new fans or sponsors

The only 'bearer' that you are is of a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom, of which you have just proven that you know very little about.
Posted Image

#25 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Like your initial reply to me Gav, We'll see.

Seriously not a harbinger of doom mate, just a realist, the game is dying on its 4rse, we used to say it was dying on it's 4rse outside of Super League but you can include Super League in that statement now, why do you think the RFL are scrambling round like loonies looking at abolishing the licence system without actually admitting that its been a massive failure, introducing a 2 tier super league and lots of other ideas.

I have no interest in the game or clubs going #### up, i earn a second income from the game and dont want to lose it.

I dont need to be privvy to anyones business plans to see that clubs are destined for failure.

The game needs a massive overhaul from the grass roots upwards and a massive change in its senior personell, it needs an injection of fresh forward thinking people (not unlike yourself) to make the change, if clubs go to the wall then so be it, start afresh and start from strength.

Anyway, back on topic, i hope Fev continue as they are doing, seems they have progressive thinkers on board but i fear that Super League simply cannot sustain 3 clubs in such close proximity so the structure must change, hopefully it wont mean someone has to go under for someone else to survive only to go under themselves.

Edited by Gary Coyle, 21 December 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#26 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,684 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

it's a shame to see the Titanic efforts and financial input of Paul Coventry not mentioned.
Without him this project would not be happening.

Thanks Paul
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,684 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

I agree wakey ν ½νΈ„ν ½νΈ„ν ½νΈ„. But on a serious note I don't want us to go in yet as we're not ready at the minute. I want us to go in when were ready which will be in 2015 and then we can have a proper crack at it.

under auto prom and reg your club would have gone up whether they were 'ready' or not
Keeping it local

#28 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

York aren't settling for managed decline. York are a couple of seasons away from playing in a brand new stadium. At the moment the club is preparing itself to hit the ground running for when that time comes in 2015.

Great news for Fev though, I'm made up for them. Can't wait to visit when its all finished!

I bet they were saying the same thing 20 years ago when they left Clarence Street and moved to the modern Ryedale Stadium. How did that work out for them ?

#29 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Not being defensive, just surprised that you should ask such a question. Exactly the problem. You may know why but maybe that has not been communicated well enough
Trojan summed it up pretty well I think. And I said he did

So what makes you ask the question? see below

Why be surprised? Unless you can explain why, we can of course try to guess and we might guess wrongly.
In my opinion, the inability of the game as a whole - you are not alone in this- to explain itself is part of the reason why it finds it so difficult to get media coverage and to attract new fans ( rather then returning fans)

So, I would like people to know why so many people are putting in so much time and money.

Lets apply the "so what" test or the "which means that" test. By the time we've done this you should have the basis of an article about the club that even the Guardian might publish, rather than asking them to publish these words
"FEV: WELL, IT'S OBVIOUS, INNIT!"

It has attracted two Global sponsors in the past couple of weeks. So what? This isn't a reason. Its a thing. Why did it attract to global sponsors? What is the benefit?

it will be running a full development pathway, So what? This isn't a reason. Its a thing. Why do this?

it has award winning community programmes. again, this is a what not a why. So what?

ladies team, again, this is a what not a why. So what? What is the benefit?

wheelchair team again, this is a what not a why. So what? What is the benefit?

and increased its fan base by 38% over the past year. which means what?

It deserves its chance at the top table . Sounds like begging. Are you sure the club has not worked tirelessly to achieve a place in the elite comp?

and it believes it can make a success if the opportunity comes its way. So what? I believe in the tooth fairy but that does not make her exist. If? Isn't all that a bit feeble? How about WHEN?

I'm determined to drag this out of you even if it takes all week. :) :) And I'm doing it for nothing, too. :o

#30 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,602 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

Jesus wept.

Is "because the club is trying to be as good as it can be" not a sufficient answer?

#31 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,059 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

under auto prom and reg your club would have gone up whether they were 'ready' or not

Well, I guess it must be non automatic p andr then because Leigh finished in a relegation spot but were not relegated when Gateshead volunyeered for the drop in their place.

#32 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

I bet they were saying the same thing 20 years ago when they left Clarence Street and moved to the modern Ryedale Stadium. How did that work out for them ?

What is the relevance of something that happened 20 years ago?

Times have changed. The City of York has changed.
Posted Image

#33 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,407 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Under auto P & R the huge gap in class between the two leagues wouldn't have developed.

Edited by Trojan, 22 December 2012 - 11:49 AM.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#34 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

It has attracted two Global sponsors in the past couple of weeks. So what? This isn't a reason. Its a thing. Why did it attract to global sponsors? What is the benefit?

it will be running a full development pathway, So what? This isn't a reason. Its a thing. Why do this?

it has award winning community programmes. again, this is a what not a why. So what?

ladies team, again, this is a what not a why. So what? What is the benefit?

wheelchair team again, this is a what not a why. So what? What is the benefit?

and increased its fan base by 38% over the past year. which means what?

It deserves its chance at the top table . Sounds like begging. Are you sure the club has not worked tirelessly to achieve a place in the elite comp?

and it believes it can make a success if the opportunity comes its way. So what? I believe in the tooth fairy but that does not make her exist. If? Isn't all that a bit feeble? How about WHEN?

I'm determined to drag this out of you even if it takes all week. :) :) And I'm doing it for nothing, too. :o

John M you have exelled yourself this time. Love the way you have asked for a bite and when you got one you ask why Terry was defensive. I have got to hand it to you though, even I have bitten. Just because it's Christmas my points below for your entertainment, Enjoy!

It has attracted two Global sponsors in the past couple of weeks. So what? This isn't a reason. Its a thing. Why did it attract to global sponsors? What is the benefit? The benefit is simple more sposorship means more money. Do try to keep up.

it will be running a full development pathway, So what? This isn't a reason. Its a thing. Why do this? Because this is what we belived was a pathway to succesful franchise application. The way the RFL is negleting the junior set up though in order for SL clubs to have feeder clubs your point is probably valid Why do this?.

it has award winning community programmes. again, this is a what not a why. So what? Because is generates positive interest in the club. Take my wife for example, she no longers looks at the Rovers as a place where I am spending time away from the family on a Sunday. My daughter has no interest in RL but she is a cheerleader for the club and loves it. She loves meeting the players when they visit her local school. Both my kids love the holiday camps and as a family we love spending time enjoying things the club sets up.

ladies team, again, this is a what not a why. So what? What is the benefit? Again part of being a community club and generatimg new interest for different reasons. Every team that Rovers run aim at being the best (oops sorry I mad a statement not a reason) because being the best they can is what everyone wants to acheive.

wheelchair team again, this is a what not a why. So what? What is the benefit? Same as above.

and increased its fan base by 38% over the past year. which means what? Oh dear.... It means that 38% of people are coming through the turnstiles to watch Featherstone Rovers. They are not getting in there cars and driving 15 mile to watch the delightful entertainmet that Leeds Rhinos put on. Why is this? Because of the ponits above regarding being a community club, NEW supportes have an allegience to Featherstone Rovers. Apologies if thsi does not fit with your ideas that we should all follow our nearest SL giants but us flatcappers are stubborn sods who just will not go away.

I'm determined to drag this out of you even if it takes all week. :) :) And I'm doing it for nothing, too. :o Oh I bet you could! Why not try the same game on some other threads for example the following: 'World cup 2013 ticket sames bost one year out from final'. So what? This isn't a reason it's a thing. Why do this?

Edited by Ian (Pencil) Elliott, 22 December 2012 - 12:24 PM.

"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#35 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

My eyes!
Posted Image

#36 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

My eyes!

Feck me, my career is over as a photographer is over unless they make braille cameras.

Edited by Gary Coyle, 22 December 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,684 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Jesus wept.

Is "because the club is trying to be as good as it can be" not a sufficient answer?

indeed
Keeping it local

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,684 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

Unlike some Paul doesnt do what he does for praise and thanks, Paul does what he does because he loves Rovers, there are countless people who do hour after hour of work but dont want a freebie or dont want praised and thanked. Even myself and oldrover went to Elland road with horse boxes hitched up to our cars and spent a full day loading blue seats, taking them to fev and unloading at some considerable expense to both of us. Did we get thanked "NO" did we want thanking "NO". Did we get a freebie "NO" did we want one "NO". My pet hate is folk who do free voluntary work then moan if there not constantly praised and thanked, just dont do it in the 1st place

I have no idea whom or what you are talking about, neither its relevance to the thread. One of your more bizzarre semi literate abusive ramblings.

Paul Coventry deserves mention for his contribution to the developments at your club. That was all I was saying: pity you had to put some kind of sick spin on it, but not surprising.
Keeping it local

#39 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,602 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Bravo Covo!

#40 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,059 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

What is the relevance of something that happened 20 years ago?

Times have changed. The City of York has changed.

It didn't completely suceed ,maybe because athletics stadiums are not ideal venues for watching RL. Other examples are the Don Valley, Gateshead international and Crystal Palace. The new stadium will be a purpose built soccer/RL stadium as far as I know and will be far better than the Ryedale stadium ever was. It will, in fact, be SL ready, or easily expanded to be so.

For my two pennorth, York is a decent sized City with a name recognised world wide and has just as much potential to advance the profile of the game in the UK as Toulouse does, not that I'm knocking Toulouse, the more the merrier. With the stadium on the horizon, if York could find the money, they would be a great addition to SL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users