Rovers making headway

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#41 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

no doubt this thread will turn into a mega fev love in as usual. what next? the traffic lights in featherstone changed from green to red???
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#42 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,250 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

no doubt this thread will turn into a mega fev love in as usual. what next? the traffic lights in featherstone changed from green to red???

Fair do's Viking Warrior, Fev have come from CC1 to the edge of SL and rebuilt their stadium along the way and without the assistance of a huge investor. I think they deserve some accolades for that.

#43 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Your guys wrote the textbook, you can hardly complain when others follow the example. :)

For 'Destination Superleague' read 'Dare to dream'.

#44 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

On a thread about Featherstone Rovers? How very dare they...
Posted Image

#45 Chappies Dummy

Chappies Dummy
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

surely any club that is doing well and making improvements should be praised. It not only shows the club in a good light but also the game in general when clubs are prospering in such financial hard times.
So what is your problem with Fev?

#46 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

No but if the council decided to do away with the unique "not a bus stop" there could be real trouble. ;)
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#47 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

After reading the first few posts I agree, this is fantastic news.

(I was rather worried it was about Hull KR :ph34r: )

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#48 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,941 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Jesus wept.

Is "because the club is trying to be as good as it can be" not a sufficient answer?

No, not by long way. If even the most passionate of supporters can't sensibly explain themselves,and articulate the benefits, how can they expect to convince potential supporters, advertisers, and the media.

#49 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

No, not by long way. If even the most passionate of supporters can't sensibly explain themselves,and articulate the benefits, how can they expect to convince potential supporters, advertisers, and the media.

OK, not by any means the official club line but heres my take on it, based on what the club have said publically.

The people running the club, those making the strategic decisions and responsible for making sure the cheques don't bounce, think SL is a realistic & achievable goal. They have taken heed of the feedback given on the application for the 2009-2011 licences which included, amongst other things, a need to upgrade the stadium. I suspect they feel the, 'let us in & we'll build it, honest guv' line is unlikely to find much sympathy given the outcome of previous similar promises.

In short its being done because to not do so would seriously undermine a SL application.

#50 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

Bravo Covo!

Absolutely Mark. I spoke to Covo personally at the shirt launch and suggested to him that the new look ground would be his and his many hard working colleagues' legacy. Nothing but admiration for all who have worked on this marvelous project.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 23 December 2012 - 08:18 AM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#51 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

A bit of joined up thinking might have got you there without the need to try to belittle people.

Sponsors, new supporters, advertisers and the media are now very much attracted to Featherstone Rovers because of the points I made to you, each of them attributes which tick boxes as required by the RFL before entry to SL can be considered. Attributes which, at the same time, benefit a wide cross section of the public from school kids to pensioners.The ground development is a key aspect to the club's future aspirations, obvious to most without explanation I would have thought, given the RFL's considerable emphasis on spectator facilities throughout the five year period of licensing. The club is a now pretty dynamic entity and, as I said, Rovers are already operating like a SL club apart from full time status. If the custodians of the club think the time is right then the next logical step is to attempt to move up a level. How difficult is that to understand or maybe you are being deliberately obtuse?

There are those, of course, who have the view that Featherstone Rovers are not and never will be worthy of SL no matter what they do and consequently can't quite grasp why such a club should be busting a gut to improve itself. I'm quite confident however that the RFL do not share such a view.

So then, what's your take on Featherstone Rovers as a potential member of SL?

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 23 December 2012 - 08:28 AM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#52 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,920 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Good post Terry. Points well put
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#53 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

There are those, of course, who have the view that Featherstone Rovers are not and never will be worthy of SL no matter what they do and consequently can't quite grasp why such a club should be busting a gut to improve itself. I'm quite confident however that the RFL do not share such a view.

So then, what's your take on Featherstone Rovers as a potential member of SL?

The criteria needs to change Terry if Fev are even going to be considered for Super League, i think the RFL are back tracking on the licence system and Fev may well be one of the beneficiaries of this rethink, all you can do is keep winning and sooner or later someone will have to take notice

#54 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

I think the only criteria that Fev are not upto Gary is the attendances, I'm hoping with the improved facilities that this will improve and will tick the last remaining box!!!

#55 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,941 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

John M you have exelled yourself this time. Love the way you have asked for a bite and when you got one you ask why Terry was defensive. I have got to hand it to you though, even I have bitten. Just because it's Christmas my points below for your entertainment, Enjoy!

I'll reply shortly and you'll see what I am trying to get at. You too are also being defensive, chippy almost, - not everyone is against you and there is no need to automatically respond as if they are. I'm not saying any of these thing are bad, or wrong. I am trying to help you put things an a way that will convince people to get on board.

The word "why" really means "For what reason or purpose." it seems as though you have interpreted it as a challenge to you , your club etc. where as I just really want you and anyone else who thinks that "because the club is trying to be as good as it can be" is a winning reason on its own.

Of course,I know the answers. However, I've had to drag them out of you. Unless you can respond properly and positively, the perception that you are "flatcappers.. stubborn sods" there will be nothing to go away from. We ARE making progress, though. :)

Edited by JohnM, 23 December 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#56 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,920 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

But most flat cappers I know are stubborn sods!!! Lmao
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#57 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'll reply shortly and you'll see what I am trying to get at. You too are also being defensive, chippy almost, - not everyone is against you and there is no need to automatically respond as if they are. I'm not saying any of these thing are bad, or wrong. I am trying to help you put things an a way that will convince people to get on board.

The word "why" really means "For what reason or purpose." it seems as though you have interpreted it as a challenge to you , your club etc. where as I just really want you and anyone else who thinks that "because the club is trying to be as good as it can be" is a winning reason on its own.

Of course,I know the answers. However, I've had to drag them out of you. Unless you can respond properly and positively, the perception that you are "flatcappers.. stubborn sods" there will be nothing to go away from. We ARE making progress, though. :)

Im sorry, you'll have to work harder at explaining yourself as that just looks like patronising twaddle.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#58 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

I think the only criteria that Fev are not upto Gary is the attendances, I'm hoping with the improved facilities that this will improve and will tick the last remaining box!!!

Genuine question Daz, Mark, Robin Terry and all the other Fev fans, is it possible for you guys to increase your crowds to something like a 6-7,000 average without impacting on either Cas or Wakey (not that you'll be bothered ;) ) im not saying that 6-7,0000 is what you would need to compete in Super League, just wondering if its possible

Onward and upwards though.

#59 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,941 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

You started with this:
We have sponsors, run a full development pathway, have award winning community programmes blah blah blah..so what? everyone says that.

And now you have this:
The club has attracted two global sponsors in the past couple of weeks, which means more money to help develop the club.
- you need a quote from each of these sponsors “we are sponsoring the club rather than another club because.....”

Will be running a full development pathway as we believe this important to a successful franchise application.
- what is this pathway? Are you only doing it because you want to go in SL? Are there no benefits,, such as player development to reduce the need to look to imported players? Will it help avoid widespread squad changes when you reach SuperLeague? building fitness and health in people, encouraging participation etc.etc

Our award winning community programmes generates positive interest in the club. As an example, my wife no longer looks at the Rovers as a place where I am spending time away from the family on a Sunday. My daughter has no interest in RL but she is a cheerleader for the club and loves it. She loves meeting the players when they visit her local school. Both my kids love the holiday camps and as a family we love spending time enjoying things the club sets up.
- You are staring to get the idea. you need to specify the awards and why they were awarded. Need a bit more “why”, “which means that” here about the ladies team and the wheelchair team.

It means that 38% of people are coming through the turnstiles to watch Featherstone Rovers.
- Do you mean that al the above has so far increased paying spectators by 38%

Rather than driving 15 mile to watch say, Leeds Rhin or Cas or Wakefield, new supporters have an allegiance to Featherstone Rovers because....

Almost there. Now, why do you want to be in SuperLeague? What can you bring to SuperLeague. Make sure that you are not seen as doing this at the expense of other clubs but by bringing lapsed fans and new fans into the game.

#60 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,941 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

Im sorry, you'll have to work harder at explaining yourself as that just looks like patronising twaddle.

True, I might. So pay attention, concentrate, and take your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users