Rovers making headway

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#121 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

Rovers are in the unique position of owning 17 acres of land, we could one day be the wealthiest club in the game if things work out the way the board are planning. Mind we wouldnt have to be that wealthy to take that title would we, the licence system has been a joke and there is nothing super about those self styled elite 14 clubs

#122 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,510 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

Keighley is in Airedale

Keighley is in the Craven district.

Airedale's in Castleford isn't it? Kenny may confirm.....

#123 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Keighley is in the Craven district.

Airedale's in Castleford isn't it? Kenny may confirm.....

Keighley is in Airedale at the confluence of the rivers AIRE and Worth. I think the Craven area is an historical name and is centred on Skipton. Castleford is on the river Aire, I think, but the genius that is St. Maurice Lyndsay lumped them in with Fev and Trinity and called it Calder.

There is a big pub just outside Keighley called the Airedale Heifer.My niece is a nurse at Airedale General Hospital which is the main hospital for Keighley and is in Steeton. The Dales are generally considered to start around Keighley and Skipton and are in the northern end of the county, ie. Airedale, Wharfdale, Wensleydale, Langstrothdale etc. Castleford is on the river Aire but not in the Dales area.In fact there are not any hills around there and the term Dales denotes geography with hills with valleys or dales in between them.

#124 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Keighley is in Airedale at the confluence of the rivers AIRE and Worth. I think the Craven area is an historical name and is centred on Skipton. Castleford is on the river Aire, I think, but the genius that is St. Maurice Lyndsay lumped them in with Fev and Trinity and called it Calder.

There is a big pub just outside Keighley called the Airedale Heifer.My niece is a nurse at Airedale General Hospital which is the main hospital for Keighley and is in Steeton. The Dales are generally considered to start around Keighley and Skipton and are in the northern end of the county, ie. Airedale, Wharfdale, Wensleydale, Langstrothdale etc. Castleford is on the river Aire but not in the Dales area.In fact there are not any hills around there and the term Dales denotes geography with hills with valleys or dales in between them.

In the scheme of things does it really effin matter, Keighley is in the historic Airedale and so is Castleford. You lot need to get a grip on what is important and mythical ancient boundaries aren't, even if the hospital uses it.

Edited by Padge, 26 December 2012 - 07:50 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#125 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

In the scheme of things does it really effin matter, Keighley is in the historic Airedale and so is Castleford. You lot need to get a grip on what is important and mythical ancient boundaries aren't, even if the hospital uses it.

Check out post 119 and then the continuing ###### on the subject from your alter ego Parksider. Then go and type a post taking them to task for taking the thread into what is not important.

I was answering their posts which took the thread off tangent and wrongly placed Castleford in Airedale. If you can t see the wood for the trees,keep out of the forest.

And Airedale in the Castleford context is the name of a housing estate. Castleford is not in Airedale but it is on the river Aire. There is a difference.

If ancient boundaries are of no importance then I hope no one gets upset when the Ancient and Loyal town of Wigan is described as a Mancunian team and not a Lancashire based entity.

#126 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Jesus H!!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#127 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,510 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Check out post 119 and then the continuing ###### on the subject from your alter ego Parksider.

If ancient boundaries are of no importance then I hope no one gets upset when the Ancient and Loyal town of Wigan is described as a Mancunian team and not a Lancashire based entity.

Wigan was once in the ancient boundaries of the "Newton Hundred" I think. Corrections welcome.

I think there'd be less falling out on here if we had a 16 club Superleague, £1,000,000 cap and P & R?

#128 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

Castleford is in Airedale??? The folk in Fryston won't be best pleased about that!
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#129 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

Castleford is in Airedale??? The folk in Fryston won't be best pleased about that!

I don t know if you are talking about the housing estate or the upper Aire valley region, the real Airedale but according to Wikipedia, Airedale and Fryston are one of the three wards comprising the Castleford town electoral area within the Wakefield Metro, other than that I know nothing about that Airedale.

If you are talking about the fact that Castleford is not in the geographical Airedale, well, I tried to point out that it wasn t and got the wrath of the terrible twins heaped upon my head, so be very careful, Mr Mullaney.

Congratulations to you and your club on their resurrection and transformation. Very inspiring and an example of what small teams can do with the right people in charge.

I remember a Mullaney playing for Fev in their series of Cup semis at Odsal in the 1960 s. Is he a relative?

#130 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Seeing as how we are talking statistics and Fev. Someone mentioned that the three teams Cas, Fev and Trinity could not all be sustained in the area. I remembered a Cup weekend , I am sure it was in the 60's when all three were drawn at home and there were three huge crowds. I thought it might have been when Wigan came to Belle Vue and trinity beat them before a crowd of over 20,000 ( I think they used footage of the crowd in the movie This Sporting life) but I have checked as best I can and cannot find the details of the three ties.

Wakey played Wigan at Belle Vue in 1961 in the Challenge Cup Round II. There were in excess 28K in the ground and Wakey lost 2 -0

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#131 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Personally having done a lot of looking at attendances, demographics and recent history, I think that the chances of 'Calderdale' supporting 3 SL clubs to a sustainable level is nigh on impossible in this day and age. Its struggling to support 2.

Calderdale is based in Halifax and includes Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, Mythomroyd, Sowerby Bridge, Elland and Brighouse. It currently sustains one semi pro RL side - Halfiax.
The River Calder rises in the Pennines near Todmorden, flows through Calderdale, Dewsbury, Ossett and Wakefield to its confluence with the River Aire about a mile west of Castleford at Whitwood Mere.
Perhaps a new side called Douglasdale could be mooted containing Wigan, Horwich, Appley Bridge, Tarleton, and Hesketh Bank.

Edited by Trojan, 27 December 2012 - 09:50 AM.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#132 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Probably not, but I'm sur the post office have made bigger cock ups than mine. :D

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#133 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,510 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

Calderdale is based in Halifax and includes Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, Mythomroyd, Sowerby Bridge, Elland and Brighouse. It currently sustains one semi pro RL side - Halfiax.
The River Calder rises in the Pennines near Todmorden, flows through Calderdale, Dewsbury, Ossett and Wakefield to its confluence with the River Aire about a mile west of Castleford at Whitwood Mere.

Perhaps a new side called Calderdale could be mooted containing Halifax, Dewsbury, Wakefield, Castleford and Featherstone.

This is I think a cracking idea.

Three CC clubs could be elevated to SL in this merger, Fev could get in Cas could be saved and Newmarket could be filled week on week.

In my travels I have been to all six clubs grounds and all are only ten minutes from the M62 so travel would not be a problem for the fans.

here's the 12 club Superleague for 2015

1. Wigan
2. Saints
3. Leeds
4. Warrington
5. Calderdale
6. Bradford
7, Huddersfield
8. London
9. Toulouse
10. Les Catalans
11. Hull
12. HKR

Brilliant, exciting and watch out you top four clubs, the 'dale are out to get you......
Only Lobby left to argue with too!!!!!

Edited by The Parksider, 27 December 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#134 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

Wakey played Wigan at Belle Vue in 1961 in the Challenge Cup Round II. There were in excess 28K in the ground and Wakey lost 2 -0

The vast majority of those 28k are now dead or moved out of Wakefield. These people will not suddenly reappear no matter how you organise P&R, build a new stadium or dole out cash.

#135 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

This is I think a cracking idea.

Three CC clubs could be elevated to SL in this merger, Fev could get in Cas could be saved and Newmarket could be filled week on week.

In my travels I have been to all six clubs grounds and all are only ten minutes from the M62 so travel would not be a problem for the fans.

here's the 12 club Superleague for 2015

1. Wigan
2. Saints
3. Leeds
4. Warrington
5. Calderdale
6. Bradford
7, Huddersfield
8. London
9. Toulouse
10. Les Catalans
11. Hull
12. HKR

Brilliant, exciting and watch out you top four clubs, the 'dale are out to get you......
Only Lobby left to argue with too!!!!!

It will never happen as Toulouse would need a big financial backer as they couldn't compete in the champ let alone SL and Calderdale no chance got more chance of QPR winning the premier league this season lol. But if it did happen Calderdale would win everything wouldn't they?

#136 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

Rovers are making fantastic headway at the moment, the ground development is moving forwards, the off the field infrastructure is being built, more sponsors are coming on board and the club is looking more and more professional. :)

This thread however is making very little headway at all. :rolleyes: :lol:

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#137 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,510 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

1. It will never happen as Toulouse would need a big financial backer as they couldn't compete in the champ let alone SL.

2. If it did happen Calderdale would win everything wouldn't they?

1. Toulouse and Featherstone are on a par in that both have big financial backers waiting in the wings.

Toulouse however have been visited by the the leaders of the top four Superleague clubs who liked the plans they saw.

2. No merged club would win anything until either the merger finally failed to capture anyones imagination, and it folded due to lack of support, or it clung on and successive generations of fans and sponsors took to it enough for it to make an impact.

#138 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

1. Toulouse and Featherstone are on a par in that both have big financial backers waiting in the wings.

Toulouse however have been visited by the the leaders of the top four Superleague clubs who liked the plans they saw.

2. No merged club would win anything until either the merger finally failed to capture anyones imagination, and it folded due to lack of support, or it clung on and successive generations of fans and sponsors took to it enough for it to make an impact.

Isn t it amazing how four self appointed power brokers suddenly make critical decisions about the future of RL in two countries. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

#139 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Isn t it amazing how four self appointed power brokers suddenly make critical decisions about the future of RL in two countries. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

Tbf no decision has been made no matter how many times Parksider states things as though they are fact.

#140 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,510 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Tbf no decision has been made no matter how many times Parksider states things as though they are fact.

"as though they are fact"???

All I have done is relay to everyone on here Lenegan, Mac, Hetherington and Moran (may have the latter wrong his CEO may have gone) went to Toulouse to see what was being arranged and they reported liking what they saw. We can all draw our personal conclusions about either the significance or insignificance of that , something you are free to do Dave as I am.

I pointed it out to Gaz because he thought that Toulouse's poor showing in the Championship was proof the club had no money and no prospect of any for Superleague, so my opinion was the visit was a different event that may be taken into consideration by Gaz before he states "as fact" Toulouse won't have the money for SL.

Far from me being the one who was assuming a "fact" it was Gaz doing it and me trying to help him consider the "fact" that the big four DID go over there and DID like what they saw.

So why have a go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users