Salford cancel Christmas friendly

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

They had Squash courts. That ramshackle building next to the Doctors- no, not the Willows- used to be 3 squash courts owned by Salford RLFC, I know I played there for the School, but as with everything under the GREAT GOD Wilko, it was sold off, they used to have training facilities in Davyhulme, and owned the Willows Club, but it was all asset stripped over the last 30 years. They used to OWN the best facilities in the RFL, now they own a stadium that the Council wants nothing to do with.

Which stadium is that? They don't own The Willows (haven't owned it for donkey's years!) and they don't own Barton. As far as I know, Salford OWN absolutely nowt!

Like you said, asset stripped.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#42 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,149 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Tony, maybe you can fill in the memory gaps for me. I can never remember Salford as ever being a strong club, What was it like in the Dave Watkins era? I was an avid and active Swinton fan from 1957 to round about 1968 when I moved well away from Swinton. Not that Swinton were in any way solid, well off and well run - poor crowds, dilapidated stadium etc but I recall Salford being even worse.

#43 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

Tony, maybe you can fill in the memory gaps for me. I can never remember Salford as ever being a strong club, What was it like in the Dave Watkins era? I was an avid and active Swinton fan from 1957 to round about 1968 when I moved well away from Swinton. Not that Swinton were in any way solid, well off and well run - poor crowds, dilapidated stadium etc but I recall Salford being even worse.

I don't think I can, John. I was a soccer fan as a kid and RL didn't register (well, not significantly) with me until Boxing Day 1976. I chose to support Salford (rather than Swinton, Oldham or Rochdale) about a year or so later when I decided that I ought to pin my colours to a particular mast. Prior to that I just loved the game in general. During the intervening 35 years, I have probably watched York more than anyone else, simply because I lived in York until 1977 and in Whitby from then on.

Okay, so what do I know? Salford have not enjoyed a period of success at all (ever, afaik). They had two brief periods when they were successful. The first was in the 30s, under Lance Todd, when they acquired the "Red Devils" moniker. The second was from about 1967 to about 1976, under Brian Snape, when they were known as "The Quality Street Gang". This was the era when Salford first registered on my radar. Snape signed the best players and paid the best wages in the game. Players like Mike Coulman, Chris Hesketh, David Watkins and Keith Fielding, along with many others whose names I would need to dig out from the deeper recesses of what passes for my memory, entertained large crowds (not sure of the actual size, but ca.10,000 at a guess) on Friday nights at The Willows. The Variety Centre meant that you could watch the rugby, get something to eat (I think!), drink and dance the night away or enjoy a show. I always thought that was a marketable concept, but it all fell into disrepair and, by the time I began watching, the whole edifice was looking shabby.

That's the best I can do, but if someone else knows better, I'd happily accept their word.

As for Station Road, I thought it was in a similar condition to The Willows by the late 70s. It definitely had more potential than The Willows (railway station, car park, a bit of 'elbow room' around it), but it obviously needed megabucks spending to bring it back up to standard. If only the two clubs had had the wisdom and humility to work together, sell one ground (The Willows, probably) and develop facilities at the other, with both teams playing out of the one stadium (they weren't that far away from each other), we could both be in a different place right now. Hindsight is great, isn't it?

Edited by tonyXIII, 28 December 2012 - 02:54 PM.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#44 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Salford had a buzz about it in the 70s, this is the time I first started watching.

The crowds were about 6,000 but it was the place to be with United players coming to watch.

Snape handed over the reigns to his brother and the decline started. The Variety centre was sold to Greenalls Wilky bought it back some time after.

#45 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Is it not fair to say a significant part of the cost of building the super Salford team of the early to mid 70's was raised by the profits of the Willows club.

The unfortunate thing for Salford was that out of town cabaret clubs eventually had their day and the WIllows therefore no longer supported the club.

The money also went into the ground as Salford were one of the few clubs in RL with a stand (two actually) that looked like they had been built in the 70's.

I started going round all the clubs in the mid 70's and it was amazing tom how few stands looked like the had been built in the last 10 years.

#46 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,149 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info. IIRC Swinton was owned by a succession of local businessmen (Batemans comes to mind) who OK running their own businesses but were not up to running a football club. It's a tough world out there at any time but having been to the new stadium, I had hoped it would have proved to be an attraction to fans. At the Eng v France game, the clubs shop seemed to be dominated by Sharks stuff, quite expensive stuff, too.

#47 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Sale have taken over the running of the club shop afaik

#48 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

John - you watched Swinton at much the same time as myself with Gowers, Blan, Fleet, Buckley, Stopford, Norburn etc under Cliff Evans - a magical coach. I became involved myself there later and you are right Bateman was involved. Clift, Way & a couple of Doctors on the Board. Salford were not as strong as Swinton until Snape became involved with Watkins, Coulman & Co & of course the magical Evans sorted them into a terrifically attacking side.

#49 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Parky - re the current situation.

The three Directors have no more money available to put in.

John has a Hotel next to Man U and only poor bids have been received. His other businesses are OK but not thriving and he needs every penny to support them. He is 68 - would like to pack in - and his wife is unwell and needs care. Howard is retired and cannot support the club financially. Ian Watson's Building Company is in a similar state to Johns and thus the club come second.

I still dont know whether HMRC have joined the petition. If not I would guess the Directors will try & seek an adjournment to settle Patten & Anderson out of Court but that is just a short term option. The Company is insolvent (as most clubs are) but that fact brings terrors to would be saviours.

The Balance Sheet needs to be changed. Loans to be swapped for shares for the Directors and Council - then we would be solvent and have a chance to strike a deal. Not much time is there?

#50 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Parky - re the current situation.

The three Directors have no more money available to put in.

John has a Hotel next to Man U and only poor bids have been received. His other businesses are OK but not thriving and he needs every penny to support them. He is 68 - would like to pack in - and his wife is unwell and needs care. Howard is retired and cannot support the club financially. Ian Watson's Building Company is in a similar state to Johns and thus the club come second.

Thank you very much Mr. Carpet for that insight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users