• 5,980 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

http://www.dailytele...r-1226542089541

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,398 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

What does this have to do with Super League?

#3 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Nothing, the Aussie game is climbing to new heights, SL is plumbing new depths.

#4 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

I just wish the Aussies would use a small percentage of this money to help the game in the various Pacific Islands - now is the time to have a real go at Tonga,Fiji,Samoa,Cook Islands etc.A bit of money spent here,would give the International game some much needed credibility,as well as giving the Aussies a return on their investment.

#5 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

I just wish the Aussies would use a small percentage of this money to help the game in the various Pacific Islands - now is the time to have a real go at Tonga,Fiji,Samoa,Cook Islands etc.A bit of money spent here,would give the International game some much needed credibility,as well as giving the Aussies a return on their investment.

Totally support that view. I hope that's positive enough for you.

#6 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Nothing. Its about as relevant as comparing the English Premier League to the Australian A-League.
Posted Image

#7 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 660 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Australia donates significantly to those at the moment.

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,398 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

not the SL i watch.

Lets not get into it though, we have enough threads discussing the state of SL :-)

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,398 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Nothing. Its about as relevant as comparing the English Premier League to the Australian A-League.

indeed.

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,748 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Sorry but that is totally hysterical and OTT.

You say you have been around a long time, so go back and have a think. Then, if you can tell me there was a period in RL history where no clubs had financial problems or the RFL faced tough off field issues, then I'll agree with you.

But as you will know, some clubs have had financial problems since day one. The difference is you're trying to make out it is a new phenomena.

New depths my a***. Problems? Plenty. Depths? Like what?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#11 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

You say you have been around a long time, so go back and have a think. Then, if you can tell me there was a period in RL history where no clubs had financial problems or the RFL faced tough off field issues, then I'll agree with you.

But as you will know, some clubs have had financial problems since day one. The difference is you're trying to make out it is a new phenomena.

I wonder if he could also show us ANY other sport where none of its member teams have ever ran into any kind of difficulties due to awful financial decisions made by said members owners (and not their governing body). Any sport, any era even...

Football?
Union?
Cricket?
Basketball?
Ice Hockey?
Field Hockey?
Posted Image

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,748 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

I wonder if he could also show us ANY other sport where none of its member teams have ever ran into any kind of difficulties due to awful financial decisions made by said members owners (and not their governing body). Any sport, any era even...

Football?
Union?
Cricket?
Basketball?
Ice Hockey?
Field Hockey?

No. Because all those sports are genuine sports whereas RL is just driven by money. :rolleyes:

#13 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

I agree with you to a certain extent but you have got to admit that a follower of a different sport looking in who doesn't know much about RL must be thinking what a mess.

#14 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Something something small ticket items something something sponsorship.

Cummins Out.

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

There have, it is true, always been one club or another in some kind of crisis. However, my comment, which has been called hysterically over the top, was made on the basis of the Australian game going to new heights, namely, a billion dollar TV contract, record sponsorships with huge car companies, huge crowds, an amazing junior set up. Proably the most successful period in the history of the game anywhere, certainly ofthe history of the game in Australia.

In contrast, it would appear to me that SL is going to hell in a handbasket. There have been three bankruptcies of SL clubs in the last couple of years with probably a 4th in Salford just around the corner. There are reported serious financial difficulties being countered at Castleford and Hull KR, that's just under 50% of the league. I am old and I have followed this game for a long time and i cannot ever remember there being as many clubs in deep trouble all at the same time. The crowds at London, Castleford and Hull Kr are going down . The crowds at Widnes and Salford are not increasing enough to make the clubs self sufficient.

The development of players is taking a hit with the wholesale abandonment of the under 19 teams.

When contrasted with the upbeat status of the game in Australia, I stand by my statement. The NRL is scaling new heights, the SL is plumbing new depths. I find nothing hysterical about that, just an opinion based on some salient facts. Sorry to be a killjoy, but the SL is in crisis, as an entity. Several clubs are outstanding successes but overall health of the whole league is not good.

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,748 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

I agree with you to a certain extent but you have got to admit that a follower of a different sport looking in who doesn't know much about RL must be thinking what a mess.

Yeah but I look at other sports and think they are ridiculous. How fair is it that you can't win the PL without spending around a billion pounds using mercenary players?

Edited by Johnoco, 21 December 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,748 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

There have, it is true, always been one club or another in some kind of crisis. However, my comment, which has been called hysterically over the top, was made on the basis of the Australian game going to new heights, namely, a billion dollar TV contract, record sponsorships with huge car companies, huge crowds, an amazing junior set up. Proably the most successful period in the history of the game anywhere, certainly ofthe history of the game in Australia.

In contrast, it would appear to me that SL is going to hell in a handbasket. There have been three bankruptcies of SL clubs in the last couple of years with probably a 4th in Salford just around the corner. There are reported serious financial difficulties being countered at Castleford and Hull KR, that's just under 50% of the league. I am old and I have followed this game for a long time and i cannot ever remember there being as many clubs in deep trouble all at the same time. The crowds at London, Castleford and Hull Kr are going down . The crowds at Widnes and Salford are not increasing enough to make the clubs self sufficient.

The development of players is taking a hit with the wholesale abandonment of the under 19 teams.

When contrasted with the upbeat status of the game in Australia, I stand by my statement. The NRL is scaling new heights, the SL is plumbing new depths. I find nothing hysterical about that, just an opinion based on some salient facts. Sorry to be a killjoy, but the SL is in crisis, as an entity. Several clubs are outstanding successes but overall health of the whole league is not good.

It is entirely possible to be pleased for the Australian game without denigrating our own comp.

Its not comparing like with like anyway. Plus, how do they achieve this with no P&R AND have demoted some historic clubs like Newtown and Norths? How can they achieve these things whilst doing such things?

#18 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

It is entirely possible to be pleased for the Australian game without denigrating our own comp.

Its not comparing like with like anyway. Plus, how do they achieve this with no P&R AND have demoted some historic clubs like Newtown and Norths? How can they achieve these things whilst doing such things?

There is a hell of a lot more money pumped into Australian RL than our game. Also RL is their main sport over there. RL over here might not be in our top 5 sports.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,748 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

There is a hell of a lot more money pumped into Australian RL than our game. Also RL is their main sport over there. RL over here might not be in our top 5 sports.

It's not their main sport, that's probably cricket. But I agree it's up there. However, how did it get where it is and become so dominant without the things that SL gets derided for? (ie p&r) Answering 'it's just our way' is not a decent enough answer IMO, there has to be another reason(s). It's not as simple as saying they don't have P&R either, I reckon there's a host of reasons.

i'm really pleased the Aussie game is (rightly) raking in the cash but it's no reason to trash our game.

#20 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

It's not their main sport, that's probably cricket. But I agree it's up there. However, how did it get where it is and become so dominant without the things that SL gets derided for? (ie p&r) Answering 'it's just our way' is not a decent enough answer IMO, there has to be another reason(s). It's not as simple as saying they don't have P&R either, I reckon there's a host of reasons.

i'm really pleased the Aussie game is (rightly) raking in the cash but it's no reason to trash our game.

The problem over here is millionaires would rather put their money into football, formula 1 etc than RL. In Australia it's a major sport and millionaires are attracted to the game I.e Russell Crowe. We wouldn't get anyone with millions pumping it into our game today because its not a major sport over here. The majority of the population would rather watch a football match ( not me by the way) Also with Salford being in Manchester they have to compete with man . U and city no brainer for a mancunian really is it? Same with the rhinos I notice when Leeds utd are doing badly the rhinos crowds improve and etc. But in Australia there isn't another sport as big as football to compete with it.

Edited by thundergaz, 21 December 2012 - 09:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users