Super league

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

The NRL is standing still and watching whilst every other sporting code expands.

If it actually got its harris into gear it could be talking about figures that dwarf even what it has now.

But it's a lazy grouping of self-interested clubs whose insular attitudes are desperately unhealthy for the game as a whole.

That sounds like a pretty good description of SL to me., especially the last sentence.

#42 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

That sounds like a pretty good description of SL to me., especially the last sentence.

How dare you even think that all is not well in the world of SL.

#43 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,380 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

But as far as looking after their own interests, they do well.

Thing is, they could do even better.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#44 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,357 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

How dare you even think that all is not well in the world of SL.

You keep saying this for some reason. Show me someone, anyone, on here who thinks all is perfect in RL. You can't because no one does.

There are people however, who jump on any bad news 'story' in order to declare RL is on its deathbed. Not lapping up every bit of bad news with glee doesn't mean you don't know there are issues.

#45 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

You should stay home Dave, everyone will be happy with that.

Whoosh!...
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#46 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

You keep saying this for some reason. Show me someone, anyone, on here who thinks all is perfect in RL. You can't because no one does.

There are people however, who jump on any bad news 'story' in order to declare RL is on its deathbed. Not lapping up every bit of bad news with glee doesn't mean you don't know there are issues.

Yeah I agree RL is in a bit of a mess at the minute but I for one cherish the good news at the minute no matter what club the news comes from because to be honest im fed up of hearing about all the problems it's nice to actually get some good news now and again.

Edited by thundergaz, 23 December 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#47 bramleyrhino

bramleyrhino
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Dave T,on 23 December 2012 - 10.57am,said:

alternatively, the rfl have shown that they will go with a deal which has no cash if it is not right for them.
Personally I think it shows that the 750k wasnt enough from a betting company.
This may very well work in the RFLs favour if these companies genuinely want in.

Has anyone got an idea which betting company is in the frame to be new sponsor of SL for 2013?

#48 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

If its true that Betfair offered £750k p.a and then we had a deal with Stobarts was no cash but with some intangible benefits, then if you were looking as a company to sponsor RL, you wouldn't be looking at any more than £500k p.a?? I wouldn't as there is precedent for comparison. Canetman for all his perceived frustration/negativity may be about right.
The RFL can't play hard ball too much on the back of this, and may risk potential sponsors walking away. The sponsors know the game needs the cash. They won't have been oblivious to the Crusaders, Bradford and Salford stories of the last 12 months.

It was my understanding that Betfair wanted exclusivity on sponsorship rights. This would have precluded the likes of Heinz, Irn-Bru,etc, I think SLE, made the right decision in this instance.

#49 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Has anyone got an idea which betting company is in the frame to be new sponsor of SL for 2013?

Forget it, the opportunity to have that discussion has long gone.

#50 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

It was my understanding that Betfair wanted exclusivity on sponsorship rights. This would have precluded the likes of Heinz, Irn-Bru,etc, I think SLE, made the right decision in this instance.

its a good point that is often ignored. engage got every bit of advertising space they could for their money, whereas the only place i saw Stobarts get anything was at Magic and on the comp logos. They had little visibility.
The main disappointment from the deal last year was being unable to find the additional sponsors to fill spaces like the pitch, post protectors, corner flags etc. We only ended up with Heinz and engage.
In principle I agree the idea was good, unfortunately it came at the wrong time imho as we had sponsors leaving like emirates and dewalt.

#51 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,516 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

The NRL is standing still and watching whilst every other sporting code expands.

If it actually got its harris into gear it could be talking about figures that dwarf even what it has now.

But it's a lazy grouping of self-interested clubs whose insular attitudes are desperately unhealthy for the game as a whole.

Whilst the NRL/ARLC have made some poor decisions and are very much all ego based, they are way infront of the RFL and SL. SL struggles to even get a sponsor or any real interest shown in it. The clubs cant even do the basics of how a club shouöd be run- Look at Crusaders, Bradford and Salford for examples. The comment you make is more adapt to the game in the UK than anywhere else. Its such a shame that such a quality product as Rugby League has a set of ego based clueless clowns trying to control things their way and not what is best for the game in general. Chances have been wasted let alone the money. That applies to Australia and NZ as much as England/UK. The administration throughout the game for most the games history has been shocking and has hurt the game more than anything. The NRL/ARLC had the chance to change things in Australia and failed. SL in the UK had the same chance and failed. The International scene as well as the domestic scene outside the full Pro game in the UK and Australia is suffering thanks to many of the decisions the RFL, SL, NRL and ARLC keep making for their own good and not the whole game. I hope one day things will change for the benefit of all. Sadly I cant see it happening.

#52 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

England joined the Murdoch inspired Super League "vision"
Sold out their friendships in Australia with both the ARL administration and the Fans.
Most Aussies have not forgotten how the English jumped Ship and wanted the ARL to fail in favour of the Global Super League "Vision"

Those were the men you wanted in the Trenches when the going got tough and some shiny ###### offered you some coin to sell your soul.

Edited by AndyCapp, 24 December 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#53 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Whilst the NRL/ARLC have made some poor decisions and are very much all ego based, they are way infront of the RFL and SL. SL struggles to even get a sponsor or any real interest shown in it. The clubs cant even do the basics of how a club shouöd be run- Look at Crusaders, Bradford and Salford for examples. The comment you make is more adapt to the game in the UK than anywhere else. Its such a shame that such a quality product as Rugby League has a set of ego based clueless clowns trying to control things their way and not what is best for the game in general. Chances have been wasted let alone the money. That applies to Australia and NZ as much as England/UK. The administration throughout the game for most the games history has been shocking and has hurt the game more than anything. The NRL/ARLC had the chance to change things in Australia and failed. SL in the UK had the same chance and failed. The International scene as well as the domestic scene outside the full Pro game in the UK and Australia is suffering thanks to many of the decisions the RFL, SL, NRL and ARLC keep making for their own good and not the whole game. I hope one day things will change for the benefit of all. Sadly I cant see it happening.

The money in the Australian game is very impressive and their crowds, but they have a huge rival in the exopanding AFL. I would have thought that now was the time to expand the Australian game to Perth and the various other proposed exapnsioan areas, including mabe a second NZ club, but what do they do, they put of expansion for the forseeable future leaving the AFL with a free reign on expansion.

It seems to me that the NRL should strike whilst the iron is hot and the failure to do it when they have some investors interested in funding franchises is typical of the lack of leadership of the game about which you are complaining.

#54 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

The money in the Australian game is very impressive and their crowds, but they have a huge rival in the exopanding AFL. I would have thought that now was the time to expand the Australian game to Perth and the various other proposed exapnsioan areas, including mabe a second NZ club, but what do they do, they put of expansion for the forseeable future leaving the AFL with a free reign on expansion.

It seems to me that the NRL should strike whilst the iron is hot and the failure to do it when they have some investors interested in funding franchises is typical of the lack of leadership of the game about which you are complaining.

The issue is distance and long term backing for a team.
Auckland Warriors have nearly gone under a couple of times in recent years.
You realise the flight time from Perth to the East Coast of Oz is 4 hours+
Its like Manchester to Cairo almost.

#55 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

The issue is distance and long term backing for a team.
Auckland Warriors have nearly gone under a couple of times in recent years.
You realise the flight time from Perth to the East Coast of Oz is 4 hours+

I didn't reaslise it was that far but Perth is the extreme example of NRL expansion. Most would be NSW to Queensland or New Zealand. If the AFL in Oz and the NFL in the US can do it, I think the NRL can do it.

My point is though that the Australian RL game is on the crest of a wave right now and they are pulling in their horns and going into a bunker mentality which looks like typical club driven greed such as the SL personify, rather than using their current superior position to put the boot into the AFL and cement RL as the top dog in the Australian sporting world.

#56 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,357 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Sold out their friendships in Australia with both the ARL administration and the Fans.
Most Aussies have not forgotten how the English jumped Ship and wanted the ARL to fail in favour of the Global Super League "Vision"

Those were the men you wanted in the Trenches when the going got tough and some shiny ###### offered you some coin to sell your soul.

Don't be such a drama queen. There were no trenches and nobody died - it was a tv deal, that's all. Please keep a sense of perspective, its not that important in the scheme of things.

Edited by Johnoco, 24 December 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#57 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,495 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

Cairo RLFC another one of Maurice Lyndsay's pipe dreams.......

Have a good Xmas all.

#58 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

id suggest most Aussies dont care what happens outside of their own club.

I expect most Aussies are still bitter at the likes of Darren Lockyer etc. who sided with SL iirc.

#59 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Cairo RLFC another one of Maurice Lyndsay's pipe dreams.......

Have a good Xmas all.

It was going to be funded by a pyrimid scheme

#60 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

id suggest most Aussies dont care what happens outside of their own club.

I expect most Aussies are still bitter at the likes of Darren Lockyer etc. who sided with SL iirc.

Merry Christmas everyone.
:)

Edited by AndyCapp, 26 December 2012 - 10:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users