Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

winter break...tooooo long.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

the almost total absence of anything to do with rugby league cannot be a good thing, no games at all, no press, nothing on tv.
it is like the sport has stopped existing, the break is far to long we need something to be happening throughout the year, no wonder we can't get any sponsors.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#2 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Try telling the players there break is to long im sure they would have to words for ya n the second one would be off :)

There should show something in the off season I agree but what could they do apart from a season review n a top tries program which no one really watches anyway
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#3 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

I'd love to see some kind of masters tournament over the winter months, even if it's just indoor touch or tag.
Run it similar to how they ran the 9s tournament - pick several venues a week, have 4 teams playing at each.
Posted Image

#4 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

This is good point. Player need the break of course - look at the amount of operations and subsequent re-hab that take place.

How about a "Strongman of League" competition? - It could be a bit like strongest man , but with a rugby theme? They could do Deadlifts, Time trial pulling a vehicle 20M and atlas stones shaped like a rugby ball :lol: - each club puts in a player and the winners go into a final. The fatsest man contest could be integtrated into this for a back from each side too? Could get 3 programs out of it (2 semi + final) have some fun and get some brilliant coverage of the game off season IF SKY would show it. Championship and SL clubs ALL invited to take part.

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

the almost total absence of anything to do with rugby league cannot be a good thing, no games at all, no press, nothing on tv.
it is like the sport has stopped existing, the break is far to long we need something to be happening throughout the year, no wonder we can't get any sponsors.

Once upon a time, it used to be like that in June,July and August

#6 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Well the sport got about 30 seconds on a 2 hour 5 live 'review of the sporting year' type show which was in the background not really being listened to by me today. Which with the Olympics/Paralympics and the usual wall to wall football is not too bad. In comparison the other code got about 1 min.

#7 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

They usually show a Super League season review on Christmas Day on Sky Sports, what happened to that this year?

Posted Image

#8 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Don't see the problem, finishes early november with internationals and then starts late december with friendlies for some sides. That's a gap of what 6 weeks without a game being played? Some Championship sides have gone longer than that without a home game in the middle of the regular season!

#9 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

I don't think I'd like to see the close season any shorter for reasons outlined above, however, that said, if it were down to me I'd be tempted to start the season today, on boxing day. Benefits of the top of my head being;
- The season would cover every bank holiday in the year.
- The season could start with boxing day derbys, it'd be flat cap heaven and bumper crowds!
- We'd only be pulling the start forward five weeks, but it'd give us the advantage of putting season ticket renewals 5 weeks further away from Christmas, helping spread the financial burden.
- The Grand Final would be played in September hopefully improving the odds of the weather being decent, leading to a biggest game of the year being played in conditions conducive to a decent game of Rugby.
- Our regular season would finish slightly before the Aussies, giving us extra time to get our preparation right for internationals in the Autumn, perhaps even warm up matches against the Exiles then instead of mid-season.

It'll never happen mind, well not unless Sky suddenly find themselves wanting extra sport over the Xmas break!

#10 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 435 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Shrek- top suggestion!! I miss the Boxing day games, was part of my growing up. With this start date we could have a Lions tour at the end is the season, possibly even a mid season international window - though this is all far too sensible !!

#11 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

why not bring back the county cups over the christmas period ?
Chief Crazy Eagle

#12 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Try watching amateur clubs. ;)
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#13 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Used to be mid May to end of August for anyone not involved in the internationals.

Now it's mid October to the end of January.

So, 3½ months instead of ..... errrrrrrm .... well, 3½ months.

Plus ├ža change ..................
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#14 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Yup! There's some bloody good rugby to be had at amateur level. The yorkshire cup was an excellent game. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#15 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Yup! There's some bloody good rugby to be had at amateur level. The yorkshire cup was an excellent game. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

i do, i was thinking more of the lack of a presence in the media, like someone else said some sort of comp in the winter months would be great. a sevens or nines with fringe players shown on telly.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#16 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Be good if national leagues
played through winter

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

I enjoyed the couple of hours of specials that Sky put on over the last week. I also enjoyed the hour long SLS special.

#18 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

i do, i was thinking more of the lack of a presence in the media, like someone else said some sort of comp in the winter months would be great. a sevens or nines with fringe players shown on telly.

As someone else has posted a masters tournament would be good,similar to the footy one.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#19 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

why not bring back the county cups over the christmas period ?

Why not bring back winter RL.

I'd be up for it!!
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#20 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Why not bring back winter RL.

I'd be up for it!!

oh dear lord..... I'll come back in 15 pages!! :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users