Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NHS

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Thank you.

They may cock things up, but when they are good they are bloody good.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#2 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,858 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

Agreed. And Prince Charles can keep his opinions to himself. Who does he think he is?
Fides invicta triumphat

#3 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

to true im glad we have the nhs and not the bloody stupid american system
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

If I have to pay more tax to keep the NHS then take it.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,110 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

The NHS has already been sold off.

What's this thread about?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

If I have to pay more tax to keep the NHS then take it.

Fair enough, and I agree in principle. However, I do think the NHS needs to keep an eye on its budgets. Health care, left unchecked, could absorb every penny the country can produce.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#7 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

... Health care, left unchecked, could absorb every penny the country can produce.

But instead we spend it all on bailing out the banks, tax cuts for the rich and all manner of ways of waging war and killing foreigners.

LUNEW.jpg

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,059 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Health care, left unchecked, could absorb every penny the country can produce.

It should only be available to people born in this country or holding a British passport. Otherwise the patients should have to pay or take out insurance.

A similar restriction should be placed on social security payments.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#9 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

But instead we spend it all on bailing out the banks, tax cuts for the rich and all manner of ways of waging war and killing foreigners.

Which is, of course, wrong. But it doesn't make bankrupting the nation in the pursuit of the ultimate health care right.

#10 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

It should only be available to people born in this country or holding a British passport. Otherwise the patients should have to pay or take out insurance.

A similar restriction should be placed on social security payments.

There is, perhaps, some middle ground. When i started working as a legal immigrant in Greece, I was not entitled to claim unemployment benefit until I'd worked there and paid my taxes for two years. It seemed a sensible arrangement to me. (Teachers in private language schools work a nine-month contract and claim dole for the other three months)
As far as I can remember, emergency health care was available from day one, but overnight stays in hospital had to be paid for.

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,979 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

As long as you are paying in, then you should be entitled to treatment, British or not.

I'm with Tony though, it can't have unlimited funds with no questions asked.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,110 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

As far as I can remember, emergency health care was available from day one, but overnight stays in hospital had to be paid for.

You'll never guess what the actual situation is here ...

Of course, it may be that the person themselves doesn't have to pay but if they don't and they're not a permanent UK resident or British citizen then their government does.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,038 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thank you.

They may cock things up, but when they are good they are bloody good.

May I ask if you are OK or was it a family member? Fighting fit for the coming season?

#14 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

Of course, it may be that the person themselves doesn't have to pay but if they don't and they're not a permanent UK resident or British citizen then their government does.

As I have never been an immigrant to the UK, I don't know how the system here works for immigrants. I do know how the Greek system works for immigrants, though, which is why I gave the answer I did.

As for your second point, when my wife reached pensionable age, the DWP sent the relevant forms for her to get an IKA book of her own, rather than having one because I had one. Initially, the arrangement was that IKA provided any treatment she needed and then billed the NHS for reimbursement. That was changed (or so I was told) after a couple of years to a system where IKA and the NHS agreed a sort of aggregate annual figure for reimbursement and stopped claiming for each individual course of treatment. So, it seems that governments do pay each others bills for healthcare.

Edited by tonyXIII, 23 December 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,059 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

My friend, who was suffering from cancer, was rushed into hospital in Bradford because he was suffering from adverse effects of his chemotherapy. He was placed in an 8- bed ward next to an African who was suffering from a yet-to-be diagnosed disease and who was pretending not to be able to speak English as he didn't want the hospital to find out where he was from and to check if he was an illegal immigrant. He could speak it alright on his mobile phone when there were no nurses about.

I'll bet he got cured for nothing, possibly infected other people in the ward and is almost certainly still in this country.
I'll also bet that his own country hasn't paid a penny of the cost.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

May I ask if you are OK or was it a family member? Fighting fit for the coming season?

My mother has been having some serious problems, she is currently on a High Dependency Unit and what they have done with her has been nothing short of amazing.

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,038 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

Christmas in hospital? Please wish her a speedy recovery.

#18 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Christmas in hospital? Please wish her a speedy recovery.

'Fraid so, thanks for the good wishes John.

#19 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

I'll bet he got cured for nothing, possibly infected other people in the ward and is almost certainly still in this country.

What an odious little man.

LUNEW.jpg

#20 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

What an odious little man.

My friend, who was suffering from cancer, was rushed into hospital in Bradford because he was suffering from adverse effects of his chemotherapy. He was placed in an 8- bed ward next to an African who was suffering from a yet-to-be diagnosed disease and who was pretending not to be able to speak English as he didn't want the hospital to find out where he was from and to check if he was an illegal immigrant. He could speak it alright on his mobile phone when there were no nurses about.

Hmmm, Just to let people know that Hospital beds are a premium and people do not get to hold them up them willy nilly. You said this guy was African how did you know? (or do you actually mean that here was a black man extracting money from the poor NHS)

In this suituation normally the NHS will use the translation services, which would have been used to initailly, obviuously the medical staff were concerned about his health, hence he was in hospital. That's the price we pay for living in a civilsed country where we don't think it is acceptable not to help those in need (regardless of status).

I hope that in futre if you are unlucky enough to have to go into hospital that it is a British-born only ward (sorry Celtic-born only), and non of these other non-disireables infecting your air space (like those of anglo-saxon, norse or Norman blood).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users