Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NHS

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#61 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,963 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Its not completely a myth though. People can get brand new cars every year for the slightest disability - how is that reasonable? Why does everyone on disability have to have a new car? What's wrong with a decent one?

I know a guy, who has been on the sick since the early 80's with 'tennis elbow'. Every year since 1988 (at least) he has had a new 'people carrier' type car. Why he needs this is anyones guess but he does because he can, probably edged on by the dealership. Of course, this doesn't mean the scheme should be scrapped, many people benefit from such a scheme. But if we're struggling for cash in the NHS, then a clampdown on pee takers is a reasonable start.

But if he is getting a new car then there's a good to high chance he's losing out on benefit elsewhere (obviously there's a debate about whether he should be getting benefit at all or at what level).
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#62 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,704 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

But if he is getting a new car then there's a good to high chance he's losing out on benefit elsewhere (obviously there's a debate about whether he should be getting benefit at all or at what level).

Yes, he loses a certain benefit in return but no way does it come anywhere near the cost of a new car.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#63 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,509 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Its not completely a myth though. People can get brand new cars every year for the slightest disability - how is that reasonable? Why does everyone on disability have to have a new car?

your first sentence is well wide of the mark.

There is a huge number of disabilities which preclude people from driving without a modified car, They are adapted to suit the individual.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#64 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

http://www.dailymail...es-welfare.html

<_<

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#65 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,963 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

http://www.dailymail...es-welfare.html

<_<

Too many pensioners.
- Severus, July 2012

#66 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,704 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

There is a huge number of disabilities which preclude people from driving without a modified car, They are adapted to suit the individual.

So how come the guy I know gets it with 'tennis elbow'. (100% true). Luckily for him though, it doesn't affect his ability to play snooker in the local WMC.
I aren't arguing they should be scrapped or anything, just that if we need to save money, start with the pee takers.

#67 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I can quote two instances of personal knowledge regarding the provision of new ford cars for people who I know: -

1. the car was not actually for the person I know ... a former work colleague ... it was for his next door neighbour who could not drive. The neighbour nominated my former colleague as his driver who would take him shopping and on visits. my colleague drove it to his own work every day, leaving his own car for his wife to use.
2. A chap I know had a heart attack and had to retire early about ten years ago. He gets a new car, arguably as a reward for being a heavy smoker for many years.

Both of the car-recipients could walk and were not actually housebound. I don't know about the first one but the second one still occasionally walks to and from the shops and club ... around half a mile away. To be fair, it would not be appropriate for him to carry heavy shopping bags etc on foot and he would need transport on shopping trips.

I certainly think that such people deserve some help to cope wth essential travel requirements but can't see how, in Bradford and Keighley, it wouldn't be cheaper to give such people £30 per week in benefits to pay for three return taxi journeys.

#68 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,509 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

So how come the guy I know gets it with 'tennis elbow'. (100% true). Luckily for him though, it doesn't affect his ability to play snooker in the local WMC.
I aren't arguing they should be scrapped or anything, just that if we need to save money, start with the pee takers.

dunno

maybe he's committing fraud.
Keeping it local

#69 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Too many pensioners.

That will predoninantly be pensioners who have paid something into the pot during their working lives. Many of whom will have fought for this country.

http://www.dailymail...mmigration.html
:angry:

#70 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Do you honestly believe that the truth of the matter will bear any relation to the story in the Daily Mail?
Every single time their fantasies stories about immigration, benefits, the young, the old, what causes cancer, what prevents cancer, exam results, MMR, Autism, Foreigners, pies or the EU are given even a cursory comparison with the actual facts they are generally seen to be so far from the truth that you could almost think it was willful and only being done to serve an agenda of the Editor and Publishers.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#71 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Do you honestly believe that the truth of the matter will bear any relation to the story in the Daily Mail?
Every single time their fantasies stories about immigration, benefits, the young, the old, what causes cancer, what prevents cancer, exam results, MMR, Autism, Foreigners, pies or the EU are given even a cursory comparison with the actual facts they are generally seen to be so far from the truth that you could almost think it was willful and only being done to serve an agenda of the Editor and Publishers.

The problem is maybe the Mail may be correct just once, but no intelligent person will believe them.
Fides invicta triumphat

#72 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,963 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

That will predoninantly be pensioners who have paid something into the pot during their working lives. Many of whom will have fought for this country.

That's irrelevant to the discussion. There are more pensioners being paid more in pensions and non-means tested universal benefits that at any time in history.

To have fought for this country - by which I assume you mean in the Second World War - a person will have to be at least 85.
- Severus, July 2012

#73 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

That's irrelevant to the discussion. There are more pensioners being paid more in pensions and non-means tested universal benefits that at any time in history.

No it's not irrelevant. Ultimately there is a single overall public purse to pay for debt repayments, welfare, the police, armed services, libraries, roads, education etc. A lower level of sponging, an absence of futile wars and more prudent control of budgets would leave plenty of money to pay for the pensioners.

#74 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,704 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

dunno

maybe he's committing fraud.

No, its all 'above board' so to speak. He must be near 'retirement' age now so not sure what will happen then.

#75 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,963 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

No it's not irrelevant. Ultimately there is a single overall public purse to pay for debt repayments, welfare, the police, armed services, libraries, roads, education etc. A lower level of sponging, an absence of futile wars and more prudent control of budgets would leave plenty of money to pay for the pensioners.

And pensioners - many of whom will have been scroungers all their lives despite being white and possibly an occasional soldier - should be protected above everyone else because ... ?
- Severus, July 2012

#76 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,963 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

No, its all 'above board' so to speak. He must be near 'retirement' age now so not sure what will happen then.

He'll get a pension and Wolford will stop complaining about whatever amount of money he gets.
- Severus, July 2012

#77 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

To have fought for this country - by which I assume you mean in the Second World War - a person will have to be at least 85.

Suez, Aden, Korea, Malaya, Kenya, Northern Ireland, the Balkans, Oman, the Falklands, two Gulf Wars, Afghanistan.

#78 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

And pensioners - many of whom will have been scroungers all their lives despite being white and possibly an occasional soldier - should be protected above everyone else because ... ?

Because we've got enough scroungers of our own to pay for, without importing everbody else's.
;) :D

#79 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,509 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I take your point

korea
cyprus
malaya
suez
Northern Ireland
and I'm sure there are now Falklands vets who now qualify for the state pension.
Keeping it local

#80 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,963 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Suez, Aden, Korea, Malaya, Kenya, Northern Ireland, the Balkans, Oman, the Falklands, two Gulf Wars, Afghanistan.

They all get a nice army pension as well as the state pension. No problem with that at all.

It doesn't alter the fact: more pensioners getting more money and more benefits means that the overall cost of 'welfare' will increase.
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users