NHS

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

I don't disagree when it comes to those on the fiddle. However, there does seem to be an orchestrated campaign in certain sections of the media AND this con-dem government to demonise ALL those who find they need to claim benefits. Just look at the emotive language used in the articles linked to by Walford. They are littered with words such as "handouts", "scroungers" etc.

Plus it does ignore pensioners who, whether deserving or not, are the sector of welfare handouts that is growing most at this time(*).

It's also more likely that in times when unemployment goes up, as it has done, that the amount you pay out in unemployment benefit will go up even if you lower the average weekly payout. Etc etc.

(* = I believe).
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#102 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,366 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Won't disagree with you there Griff. A major clampdown on tax avoiders/creative accountants wouldn't go amiss either. That should recoup a few bob.

#103 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,686 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Not heard of that, Wolford6.

To be fair John, I must apologise because I got that wrong ... the article I read related to ADHD sufferers claiming mobility allowance. This article puts the overall numbers in perspective.

http://fullfact.org/...under_PIP-27855

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#104 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,278 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hang on, I agree. That's why I used a cast iron example that I know is true - nothing 'bloke down pub says..' about it. If you mean I should report him to the social or something, that's a separate issue.

but tennis elbow isn't a qualification for motability.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#105 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,366 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

but tennis elbow isn't a qualification for motability.

Well its true in this case. I didn't hear it on the grapevine, I know its true. Of course there's the possibility he now has another 'disability' but that was what he was on the sick for many years -and got a new car every year.

#106 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Well its true in this case. I didn't hear it on the grapevine, I know its true. Of course there's the possibility he now has another 'disability' but that was what he was on the sick for many years -and got a new car every year.

Motabilty leases are for three years so is some other scheme being used here?

I'll ask my daughter later. She has a Motability car for her carer to drive he around. She is on higher-rate mobility owing to her being more or less housebound.

Edited by JohnM, 03 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#107 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

My sister has a car on this scheme for her son who has Hemiplegia, a form of cerebral palsy. You lose a variety of other payments and it needs to be re-assesed after three years but you can also top it up with your own payments to improve the car you get. I'd say it's a generous scheme all told.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#108 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

The thing that the Daily Wail et al conveniently seem to forget is that the vast majority of people claiming benefits circumstances will be similar to our own Gingerjon, with a tiny minority being like Johnoco's mate with tennis elbow.

It's not just me then.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#109 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Plus it does ignore pensioners who, whether deserving or not, are the sector of welfare handouts that is growing most at this time(*).

(* = I believe).

as one so afflicted, though still working I don't think this is quite correct. Age-related personal allowances have now been frozen and within a few years, will not exist. On any case, they have been income realted for a while. the more your income, the less the personal allowance. State pension is rising in line with inflation. It may be that more pensioners are receiving pension credit as private pensions- annuities fir example, are not yielding anywhere as much as they were expected. Plus of course there are more of us.

By teh way, a caller on bbsradio5live yesterday said she would give up here winter fuel allowance willingly...just as soon as MPs give up their allowances. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users