players who died thid year

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

I bought a copy of 40/20 magazine for the first time to have a diffent slant on things. One of the items was players who have died this year. I noticed that Len Hammill had died in September. A very good forward. I don't think it has been announced anywhere before. If it has my apologies. RIP Len.
Also shown were Charlie Pawsey of Leigh, what a forward he was, Bill Drake of Hull, remember the Yorkshire Cup final, and the much travelled Kevin Ashcroft. Time marches on but memories are fresh.

#2 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,602 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Len died back in September I believe and his family contacted the club for any information about his playing days. I was able to help them out to some extent.

Len began his career at Bramley, moved to St.Helens for a short while, before coming to Featherstone in 1960.

He played a total of 94 games for Featherstone before finishing in 1963. He was a hard-working prop with good scrummaging skills.

He made his Featherstone debut on 3 September 1960, and his last game was on 23 November 1963.

He generally wore the number 8 jersey, and occassionally number 10.

He played in a number of important games for Featherstone including the 1962 Cup semi-final.

His St. Helens career is online here:

http://www.saints.or....php?page_id=10

where they appear to assume Len was short for Leonard rather than Lennon.

#3 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

I can't go back that far but it would be nice to hear what happened to a lot of ex fev players. I think it would be a very good read and informative.

#4 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

I remember watching Len Hammill. he was one of the most hard working players I've ever seen in a rovers jersey.

#5 frankj

frankj
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

I too remember watching Len. It was about that time I started to watch Rovers. I echo the sentiments previously stated.

#6 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

i remember thinking how good it was that a player from saints had come to fev. a good player he was too.
a fond remembrance to all those lost to the rugby league community. the game unites us all.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#7 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

I can't go back that far but it would be nice to hear what happened to a lot of ex fev players. I think it would be a very good read and informative.

Tg noted what you said. I was rereading Don Fox by my old school friend Ron Bailey and happened to look in the back. There were books by Ron that seemed to cover the theme you suggested. They are published by Tempus. The web page given is :

www.tempus-publishing.com

The details were in 2004 so I reckon they will still be relevant. Merry Christams . Col.

#8 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

Tg noted what you said. I was rereading Don Fox by my old school friend Ron Bailey and happened to look in the back. There were books by Ron that seemed to cover the theme you suggested. They are published by Tempus. The web page given is :

www.tempus-publishing.com

The details were in 2004 so I reckon they will still be relevant. Merry Christams . Col.

Thank you very much col It's a very good website and merry Christmas to you too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users