Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New 'Experimental Laws' to be trialled by the RFL

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Is it April 1st 2013 already??? :huh:

http://www.superleag...e-trialled.html

The fans of Leeds Rhinos and Wakefield Trinity Wildcats will be the first to see three new experimental laws for the traditional Heatshot Festive Challenge at Headingley Carnegie on Boxing Day morning, kick off 11.30am.

The RFL Laws Committee have put forward a series of recommended changes to be considered for the future and each will be trialled in different competitions throughout the 2013 season.

Fans on Boxing Day will be able to make their own decision on the suitability of each.

Firstly, at the scrum the defending team have to pack all six players but the attacking teams' loose forward can stand out, thereby creating an extra man - it is hoped this will encourage more attacking options at the scrum.

Secondly, At a charge down the tackle count will not start again.

Lastly, If a side kicks the ball dead from their own half the opposition will start with a 40 metre tap.

Gary Hetherington, the Leeds Rhinos Chief Executive who is also the Super League club's representative on the RFL Law Committee is looking forward to seeing the changes in action, "I am especially looking forward to the scrum. It seems to be a lost art of scoring from the scrum but this experiment will test the creativity of coaches and players and it will be interesting to see the results."

"HUCK! HUCK!!"

If they do introduce the moronic 1st idea of the Loose Forward standing back from the scrum, if the opposition 2nd Row tackle him will it be classified as a 'sack' [ http://en.wikipedia....uarterback_sack ].

At least the "if you catch the ball behind the dead ball line without it going dead then its the opposition's ball" made sense, as the ball isn't dead.

Rugby fan whinging about the RFL and RL in general, generally make me angry but sometimes I dispair at the 'Law makers'. :(

Edited by HappyDave, 24 December 2012 - 02:03 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

The Australians change the laws as they see fit and now the RFL are proposing doing the same. The games in the two hemispheres will be substantially different if this keeps up.

All law changes should be the province of the RLIF and, once they have been trialled in the various countries should become permanent or not on a vote in the RLIF and should be applicable world wide to the game of RL.

How many different laws are there now which are in force in one country and not the other? Quite a few and it's a crazy situation.

#3 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

If a side kicks the ball dead from their own half the opposition will start with a 40 metre tap.

I like this one.

#4 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

The Australians change the laws as they see fit and now the RFL are proposing doing the same. The games in the two hemispheres will be substantially different if this keeps up.

All law changes should be the province of the RLIF and, once they have been trialled in the various countries should become permanent or not on a vote in the RLIF and should be applicable world wide to the game of RL.

How many different laws are there now which are in force in one country and not the other? Quite a few and it's a crazy situation.

Exactly!!

When I heard the Aussies where going to trial the 20/40 I thought it was madness, fortunately they didn't go through with it. These proposed 'trial laws' listed above sound just as dumb, as the Aussie proposed 20/40.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#5 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

If a side kicks the ball dead from their own half the opposition will start with a 40 metre tap.

I like this one.

Surely it means players will be affraid to go for 40/20s? A 40/20 is a very difficult skill which few players are able to do in-play, however when a player pulls one off it raises their whole team and places them in a fantastic attacking position. I wouldn't want players worried about attempting them as the opposition may gain another 20 metres advantage if the ball went dead near to their 20 but they then got a tap on the 40 instead of the scrum where the ball when out? :huh:

#6 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

Big fan of the new charge down rule as I have often thought the kicking team can be rewarded for a breakdown in their own skills i.e. not getting the ball away.

The rule needs changing even more so with the ridiculous change of interpretation by referees in what counts as playing at the ball. Many times in the last year or two a defender has moved forward in the line and turned the back on the kicker or not took evasive action and it has been counted as playing at the ball.

#7 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

Surely it means players will be affraid to go for 40/20s? A 40/20 is a very difficult skill which few players are able to do in-play, however when a player pulls one off it raises their whole team and places them in a fantastic attacking position. I wouldn't want players worried about attempting them as the opposition may gain another 20 metres advantage if the ball went dead near to their 20 but they then got a tap on the 40 instead of the scrum where the ball when out? :huh:

I think by 'dead' they mean touch in goal. I assume a 40/20 attempt that finds touch 25m out will still result in an adjacent scrum.

#8 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

The point Happy Dave makes stands in regards to deterring 40/20's as the ball going dead on the wrong side of the corner flag would now be a 40m restart i.e. if you get the 40/20 wrong by kicking it too strongly your back to the 40m.

My opinion is that I still like the new rule as I am not a 40/20 fan in any case as I think it erodes the attritional nature of the game.

Edited by RS, 24 December 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#9 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

Madness.
Rugby used to be the hardest game to play and one of the easiest to understand. No longer. Taking a newby to a game gets harder every year as you have to spend half the time explaining what is going on.
Why on earth do we need to make it easier to score from a scrum? Most matches have 20 to 40 points from each side as it is.
Plus two different games here and down under.
Madness.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#10 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

If the loose forword is taken out of the scrum wont the defending side just put a big push on, and if they cant what is the point in having a scrum ?

#11 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

I just can't understand why every season we have to be tinkering with the rules of the game.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#12 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

If the loose forword is taken out of the scrum wont the defending side just put a big push on, and if they cant what is the point in having a scrum ?

In years gone bye (In my day as a Loose :( ) the loose never had to pack down and I liked the law then (Also liked the law that allowed the defender to strike for the ball, well I would being 6 foot 4 with long legs), I Understand where your coming from thou with the defnding Loose still having to bind at a scrum.

#13 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

I just can't understand why every season we have to be tinkering with the rules of the game.

I agree one season the teams get used to playing a certain way with the rules and then the next all that hard work in training goes to waste with new rules introduced.

#14 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Some teams' Loose never pack down which irritates the spectators, their opponents and Refs but isn't the worst offence, however like I say if the Rugby League LF stood back from the scrum like the proposed law suggests, it just makes me think of a Gridiron 'scrimmage' where the Quarterback stands a metre or so behind the pack (?).

Sometimes teams do manage to break away fast from a scrum (as soon as the ball is "OUT!") and a 2nd Row is able to tackle the scrum half/loose forward as soon as they receive the ball, even done it myself and I'm slow, however it doesn't happen very often. I haven't watched much Gridiron but like I said if the Loose stands back from the scrum in RL, recieves the ball, doesn't pass it straight away and gets tackled straight off the scrum its basically like a 'sack' in American Football [see Wiki ref in my last post].

#15 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

I think by 'dead' they mean touch in goal. I assume a 40/20 attempt that finds touch 25m out will still result in an adjacent scrum.

That's how I understand it.

#16 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

How would someone kick the ball from inside their half dead behind the 'dead-ball line' behind the in-goal without it landing in the field of play first? :huh:

Edited by HappyDave, 24 December 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#17 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

To many teams kick the ball deliberately dead from there own half of the field to set there defence and get up the right end of the field. I like the change to that rule as theres no skill in that at all same with the charge down if you cant get a kick away cleanly you dont deserve six more tackles in possession
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#18 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

agree totally
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

No major issues with any of the above although the loose forward thing sounds slightly contrived and gimmicky. Who decides who the loose forward is as teams rotate thtoughout the game. I assume it just means that it has to go through at least one pair of hands.

#20 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

To many teams kick the ball deliberately dead from there own half of the field to set there defence and get up the right end of the field. I like the change to that rule as theres no skill in that at all same with the charge down if you cant get a kick away cleanly you dont deserve six more tackles in possession

I disagree, London whatever their name tactfuly beat Hull FC the other year using this tactic, I'dsay that was good coaching within the laws of the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users