Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Praise

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chappies Dummy

Chappies Dummy
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

Theres been a couple of topics on here recently talking about the great work going on at clubs like fev and fax and while some posters have praised the work thats been done theres some posters that seem to want to belittle it, saying things along the lines of 'its nothing compared to what a sl team has to do to get by' and asking why they're bothering to do it.
Instead of knocking clubs for working hard and trying to improve and arguing amongst our selves we should all be praising them (and thats any club not just fax and fev).
Sorry to rant but it just narks me that people cant give credit where credits due instead of knocking other clubs. When clubs are doing well it reflects well on the game in general.
Were all quick to critisize but not to give praise.

Edited by Chappies Dummy, 24 December 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#2 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

I would take it with a pinch of salt chappy. I've seen the fans that do criticise are mainly jealous as most of the fans that have criticised are twinned with a SL club and they don't have any ambition what so ever.

#3 Chappies Dummy

Chappies Dummy
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

Its a problem with the game in general theres never enough praise only criticism. The rfl deserve praise too for the help they've given the clubs. We should be shouting it from the rooftops when clubs are doing well as like i said it makes the game look better to potential fans and sponsers.

#4 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Salford have a great stadium, purpose built for them. there, that's good news.

#5 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

I would take it with a pinch of salt chappy. I've seen the fans that do criticise are mainly jealous as most of the fans that have criticised are twinned with a SL club and they don't have any ambition what so ever.

I've got to take exception with you thundergaz as I don't recall many Championship club fans criticising on here what Fev and Fax do and not all clubs who have linked with a SL club lack ambition.

Fev and Fax are two clubs that clubs like mine, Workington Town, aspire to become and then after that who knows but economics play a big part in our plans. Town thrown out of SL after SL1 and large debts dropped to the bottom of the third tier and in 1997 were almost thrown out of the league for going in to administration (how different nowadays, eh). Town chose not to run away from those debts and spent 7 years in a Creditors Voluntary Agreement paying back as much of the debt as possible and for 2 years did not receive a penny from the central funds. All this meant that we were stuck in the third tier and have had to work to not only survive but make small working profits over a number of years to be able to put together a squad capable of surviving in the Championship.

Town this year have 20 players signed on and our recent history tells us that that is not large enough to get through a full season. The players we have are all quality players as some Championship clubs will see this coming season and we have linked with Widnes who I am sure will gain from allowing some of their players to play at Town. This also helps us to keep within budget for the season.

I am not a lover of the link system but I can see some sense as far as costs are concerned and if it helps my club to achieve the same sort of success, to date, that Fev and Fax have then so be it, but rest assured we don't lack any ambition, far from it.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users