Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Major "players" investing money into RL.

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

It would appear it's only happening in one location.

http://www.thisishul...tail/story.html

Let's see how this transpires. The origins of his wealth would appear rather dubious from what's printed in the article. :o

Salford must be hoping and praying for this sort of investment, should it prove to be legit.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#2 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 607 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Big IF by the sounds of it

#3 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

You just never know never you might find a crock of gold. An a team player from the 1980's makes a bundle and never forgets the game. You could almost make a film out of it.

If it comes off it kind of blows the lid off the " There's only room for one team in Hull thesis" that we heard so much about on here.

Now we need a couple more, one for Cas and one for Salford.

#4 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

another stephen vaughan........................................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#5 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

another stephen vaughan........................................

Maybe or maybe another O'Connor, after all, it is Christmas.

#6 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

no definitely vaughan, o'connor is a genuine business man not the dodgy type of business man.........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#7 DimmestStar

DimmestStar
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

It would appear it's only happening in one location.

http://www.thisishul...tail/story.html

Let's see how this transpires. The origins of his wealth would appear rather dubious from what's printed in the article. :o

Salford must be hoping and praying for this sort of investment, should it prove to be legit.

From Mr Larvin's business partner on HKR forum;

Firstly let me tell you since we approached Neil and Rob in mid October ALL due dilligence has been completed by the Board. Tony has hidden nothing from anyone, because he has NOTHING to hide, the guy doesn't even have a parking ticket to his name.
I signed up to this forum basically to get a "feel" on what supporters of this great club were saying and to be fair expect some to be sceptical about what is happening.
All I can say is the future is very bright indeed. It was imperative that Neil and Rob remain with the club in their current positions, to lead us to where we expect to be. I am certain the club will respond accordingly in the near future.

I dont expect for one minute my comments will change peoples opinion of what they percieve about someone, all I would say is give the guy a chance. You will not be disappointed.
One final point, we are both Hull KR fans aswell, and are determined to listen to the views of all Hull KR fans, to the point where a poster the other week suggested a supporters club on Holderness Road, it is something I have already looked into.

Have a Merry Christmas, see you all next season!

#8 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

If it comes off it kind of blows the lid off the " There's only room for one team in Hull thesis" that we heard so much about on here.

There are only enough resources in Hull for one sucessful SL team. The lid isn't blown off anything, think before you spout off.

Sustained investment can grow fans and players, but it will take time. Davey's millions have gone in year on year for many years, and they aren't top material yet are they.

Wilkinson and Clague put millions into Salford. Hughes has put many millions in.

To your shame Larvin hasn't put a penny in and you have the club down as a big success already :D

#9 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

There are only enough resources in Hull for one sucessful SL team. The lid isn't blown off anything, think before you spout off.

I disagree. But I'm not sure there's space for FC, Rovers and a successful Hull City.
People called Romans they go the house

#10 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,684 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

no definitely vaughan, o'connor is a genuine business man not the dodgy type of business man.........

So O'Connor isn't a MP.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#11 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

I disagree. But I'm not sure there's space for FC, Rovers and a successful Hull City.

That's fine and I take the Hull City point, a good one.

Mr. Larvin is only proposing to take over from Mr. Hudgell. Even if he was a billionaire he can't spend more than full cap.

Maybe all roads will lead to Hull for the games top players and two clubs can enjoy a repeat of the early eighties, but until the player pool increases it will only be at the expense of other top clubs, and the best players are likely to stay put.

He hasn't spent a penny yet, but if he is going to lavish riches on the game I wish he was Welsh or a Geordie.

#12 DimmestStar

DimmestStar
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

Sustained investment can grow fans and players, but it will take time. Davey's millions have gone in year on year for many years, and they aren't top material yet are they.

Wilkinson and Clague put millions into Salford. Hughes has put many millions in.

To your shame Larvin hasn't put a penny in and you have the club down as a big success already :D

Rovers have 8,000 paying fans already and without the need for heavily subsidised season tickets, a situation Hudds & Salford can only dream about. Unlike Hudds & Salford they also benefit from all income generated at their stadium, catering, markets etc etc..

Rovers need 10,000 to break even, if they are to spend maximum salary cap that is true but even so their income already is more than Hudds & Salford added together.

It's a tremendous base for Mr Larvin to build on, do you really think a £15m investment in the club wouldn't make a big difference?

The City of Kingston upon Hull is the biggest Rugby League centre outside of Sydney & Brisbane. It is the jewel in the crown of British Rugby League and should be celebrated not constantly advised to slim down. There are 100,000 people who are Hull FC or Hull KR fans, currently 20,000 pay to watch them. Hull City have big potential too, nearly all their fans also favour Hull or Rovers. I'm a City/Rovers fan there are also loads of City/FC fans. We love our sport in Hull.

Mr Larvin says he is going to invest 3 separate installments of £5m each over the next 6 months into Hull Kingston Rovers. Till it happens I'd agree it's only til it happens, but the idea that it wouldn't make much difference......come off it!

BTW I honestly wish every success to Hudds & Salford, very great clubs who probably suffered from not having enough clubs to outnumber the great god of football in their area.

In the 60's Rovers had much bigger crowds than Hull, in the 70's & 80's more trophies. What is beyond doubt is that most of the time the 2 clubs experience good times & bad times simultaneously. They are motivated by each other, if one should become complacent then so will the other most usually.

Rugby League is the breath of life in Kingston upon Hull, a place where you go to work every Monday either bursting your veins in triumph or thinking how to make an excuse to take the day off. It means that much.

That's why we all grow up in our city with Rugby League not so much an option but part of our being. Parksider lost the essence of his club, that's sad but in East Hull even at our lowest ebb we would never let that happen.

We walked the streets of East Hull on the march to raise money for Hull KR in the days of administration, we refused to die. It means that much.

Our days in administration lasted fully 3 and a half years. Marooned from the new dawn of Super League it seemed we didn't matter any more. We asked for no help and we didn't get any. But people like Hudgell, Crossland and Larvin it's been eating away at us deep within.

We won't rest until our club is back at the summit. Sorry if this is disappointing for you.

#13 DimmestStar

DimmestStar
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

That's fine and I take the Hull City point, a good one.

Mr. Larvin is only proposing to take over from Mr. Hudgell. Even if he was a billionaire he can't spend more than full cap.

Maybe all roads will lead to Hull for the games top players and two clubs can enjoy a repeat of the early eighties, but until the player pool increases it will only be at the expense of other top clubs, and the best players are likely to stay put.

He hasn't spent a penny yet, but if he is going to lavish riches on the game I wish he was Welsh or a Geordie.

Oh goodness.

Maybe he should be a Peruvian or Venezualian?

Unfortunately the only place anyone rich or poor is likely to come from with a passion for Rugby League is somewhere like East Hull.

#14 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Rovers have 8,000 paying fans already and without the need for heavily subsidised season tickets, a situation Hudds & Salford can only dream about. Unlike Hudds & Salford they also benefit from all income generated at their stadium, catering, markets etc etc..

Rovers need 10,000 to break even, if they are to spend maximum salary cap that is true but even so their income already is more than Hudds & Salford added together.

It's a tremendous base for Mr Larvin to build on, do you really think a £15m investment in the club wouldn't make a big difference?

The City of Kingston upon Hull is the biggest Rugby League centre outside of Sydney & Brisbane. It is the jewel in the crown of British Rugby League and should be celebrated not constantly advised to slim down. There are 100,000 people who are Hull FC or Hull KR fans, currently 20,000 pay to watch them. Hull City have big potential too, nearly all their fans also favour Hull or Rovers. I'm a City/Rovers fan there are also loads of City/FC fans. We love our sport in Hull.

Mr Larvin says he is going to invest 3 separate installments of £5m each over the next 6 months into Hull Kingston Rovers. Till it happens I'd agree it's only til it happens, but the idea that it wouldn't make much difference......come off it!

BTW I honestly wish every success to Hudds & Salford, very great clubs who probably suffered from not having enough clubs to outnumber the great god of football in their area.

In the 60's Rovers had much bigger crowds than Hull, in the 70's & 80's more trophies. What is beyond doubt is that most of the time the 2 clubs experience good times & bad times simultaneously. They are motivated by each other, if one should become complacent then so will the other most usually.

Rugby League is the breath of life in Kingston upon Hull, a place where you go to work every Monday either bursting your veins in triumph or thinking how to make an excuse to take the day off. It means that much.

That's why we all grow up in our city with Rugby League not so much an option but part of our being. Parksider lost the essence of his club, that's sad but in East Hull even at our lowest ebb we would never let that happen.

We walked the streets of East Hull on the march to raise money for Hull KR in the days of administration, we refused to die. It means that much.

Our days in administration lasted fully 3 and a half years. Marooned from the new dawn of Super League it seemed we didn't matter any more. We asked for no help and we didn't get any. But people like Hudgell, Crossland and Larvin it's been eating away at us deep within.

We won't rest until our club is back at the summit. Sorry if this is disappointing for you.

I must admit to shaking my head sometimes when reading stuff from you in the past but I can't argue with much of that.

Terrific post.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#15 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Rovers have 8,000 paying fans already and without the need for heavily subsidised season tickets, a situation Hudds & Salford can only dream about.

I thoroughly enjoyed your whole post until that last short sentence. Why on earth would I be disappointed if Rovers went on to get 15,000 crowds and win everything in sight??

Why can't situations be debated, discussed and views accepted without personalising things in this stupid way, next stop abuse. For the record I'm deeply frustrated that Superleague only throws up the same winners all the time. No I'm not a Leeds fan my lad is and it's boring and no good for Rugby league the same clubs winning the pots all the time.

It'd be great if either Hull club could sweep aside the top dogs, I'd be the first one cheering as I cheered for Hull at Wembley and old Trafford,and as I'd cheer for Rovers if it was them giving Saints a spanking in a final. I cheered for both in the early 80's when I was there watching them at Finals.

But your short on fans, such that Hudgell had to give up, both clubs are short on quality players and the record is one of the clubs fighting each other to reign in Hull. I'd rather one of them had all the resources to fight past the top dogs. In the last debate on this subject my final position was good luck to HKR if they could find the investment to plug the financial gap. Good luck to Mr. Larvin and I hope he uses the money in marketing and junior development to such great effect Hull can produce two quality SL teams and each average over 10,000 fans.

His £15M will hopefully make a difference but you must remember this is the sort of Money Ken Davey has been splashing on Huddersfield and you yourself call them dreamers. I'm not having a go but you need the quality kids coming through in enough numbers in Hull to keep two clubs at the top. You can have as much money as you want you'll never outspend Leeds, Wigan, Saints, and Wire and these are the clubs a limited amount of top players ALL want to go to.

Success isn't just about money in RL, Larvin cannot do an Abramovich....

Edited by The Parksider, 25 December 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#16 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

There's only room for one team in Hull. There's only enough resources for one.
Posted Image

#17 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Just think what a merged Hull team playing out of the KC could do for SL with an FC and KR team playing the the championship.

#18 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

What part of If IT COMES OFF dont you understand?

#19 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

What part of If IT COMES OFF don't you understand?

You can have three SL cubs in Hull if someone wants to bankroll each one, ad infinitum, just like you can have three clubs in SL in the Calder area. I've nowt against any club I just wish to see the game spread out for the sake of the game and I wish to see such strongholds as Hull and the Wakefield area give the top four a game again, for the sake of the game.

#20 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

You can have three SL cubs in Hull if someone wants to bankroll each one, ad infinitum, just like you can have three clubs in SL in the Calder area. I've nowt against any club I just wish to see the game spread out for the sake of the game and I wish to see such strongholds as Hull and the Wakefield area give the top four a game again, for the sake of the game.

I agree to a certain extent. But I wouldn't want the other club or clubs in that area to suffer which they would if you only had one hull etc. I don't agree with making teams that have been around nearly since RL started suffer. If it wasn't for these teams RL would probably not have even been a sport. It's ok expanding and I personally don't mind that as long as it doesn't stop one of the teams that as been around a long time the opportunity of top flight RL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users