Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Major "players" investing money into RL.

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

I agree to a certain extent. But I wouldn't want the other club or clubs in that area to suffer which they would if you only had one hull etc. I don't agree with making teams that have been around nearly since RL started suffer. If it wasn't for these teams RL would probably not have even been a sport. It's ok expanding and I personally don't mind that as long as it doesn't stop one of the teams that as been around a long time the opportunity of top flight RL.

Define opportunity? Technically, every club has an opportunity at the top flight at the moment.
Posted Image

#22 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Define opportunity? Technically, every club has an opportunity at the top flight at the moment.

I'm a big believer of P&R always have been always will be. I think whoever wins the league or GF as it now stands ( which I think is ridiculous ) should get promoted no matter what. It should be a straight up/ down like it is in football.

#23 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

I agree to a certain extent. But I wouldn't want the other club or clubs in that area to suffer which they would if you only had one hull etc. I don't agree with making teams that have been around nearly since RL started suffer. If it wasn't for these teams RL would probably not have even been a sport. It's ok expanding and I personally don't mind that as long as it doesn't stop one of the teams that as been around a long time the opportunity of top flight RL.

Well I agree that you can't deny opportunity to clubs who seriously want to be in the top flight. That's why I think the idea of 16 SL clubs and a reduced salary cap is an option to embrace all who want to be there and make them all financially sound and competetive, at least in the short term. Wether that's good for the game longer term I dunno

The RFL did have in their licensing criteria a "geography" criteria which gives an advantage to any club outside the M62 but can lose a club points if they are close to another applicant. However financial realities have reduced that to an irrelevence as long as two close neighbours can find the money to compete so Mr. Larvin will be welcomed, too many new sugar daddies will not be good for him though!

#24 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

I'm a big believer of P&R always have been always will be. I think whoever wins the league or GF as it now stands ( which I think is ridiculous ) should get promoted no matter what. It should be a straight up/ down like it is in football.

But it isn't straight up an down in football, you can only be promoted if you fulfil the criteria of the division you are moving up to.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#25 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

But it isn't straight up an down in football, you can only be promoted if you fulfil the criteria of the division you are moving up to.

Absolutely right. Any Football Championship team hopeful of being promoted to the Premiership needs to ensure all of it's players have Equity cards.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#26 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Rovers have 8,000 paying fans already and without the need for heavily subsidised season tickets, a situation Hudds & Salford can only dream about. Unlike Hudds & Salford they also benefit from all income generated at their stadium, catering, markets etc etc..

Rovers need 10,000 to break even, if they are to spend maximum salary cap that is true but even so their income already is more than Hudds & Salford added together.

It's a tremendous base for Mr Larvin to build on, do you really think a £15m investment in the club wouldn't make a big difference?

The City of Kingston upon Hull is the biggest Rugby League centre outside of Sydney & Brisbane. It is the jewel in the crown of British Rugby League and should be celebrated not constantly advised to slim down. There are 100,000 people who are Hull FC or Hull KR fans, currently 20,000 pay to watch them. Hull City have big potential too, nearly all their fans also favour Hull or Rovers. I'm a City/Rovers fan there are also loads of City/FC fans. We love our sport in Hull.

Mr Larvin says he is going to invest 3 separate installments of £5m each over the next 6 months into Hull Kingston Rovers. Till it happens I'd agree it's only til it happens, but the idea that it wouldn't make much difference......come off it!

BTW I honestly wish every success to Hudds & Salford, very great clubs who probably suffered from not having enough clubs to outnumber the great god of football in their area.

In the 60's Rovers had much bigger crowds than Hull, in the 70's & 80's more trophies. What is beyond doubt is that most of the time the 2 clubs experience good times & bad times simultaneously. They are motivated by each other, if one should become complacent then so will the other most usually.

Rugby League is the breath of life in Kingston upon Hull, a place where you go to work every Monday either bursting your veins in triumph or thinking how to make an excuse to take the day off. It means that much.

That's why we all grow up in our city with Rugby League not so much an option but part of our being. Parksider lost the essence of his club, that's sad but in East Hull even at our lowest ebb we would never let that happen.

We walked the streets of East Hull on the march to raise money for Hull KR in the days of administration, we refused to die. It means that much.

Our days in administration lasted fully 3 and a half years. Marooned from the new dawn of Super League it seemed we didn't matter any more. We asked for no help and we didn't get any. But people like Hudgell, Crossland and Larvin it's been eating away at us deep within.

We won't rest until our club is back at the summit. Sorry if this is disappointing for you.

I enjoyed you post too. I think your point about refusing to let your club die is very inspiring with the state of my team right now.

The thing about sport is that not every team can be the best on or off the field - sometimes it doesn't make business sense to continue. But fans don't see it that way and thats when we start collecting in buckets and forming action groups until our team is able to continue playing in some form or other.

#27 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I don't recall a champ club being denied access to the premier league do you? I also doubt if someone finishes top of the champ and they don't meet the criteria for premier league that they won't be let in. As they would be a massive uproar in football and that's what is missing in our game for me. The RFL and the so called big clubs call too many of the shots in RL nowadays that's why the top clubs stay top clubs and the bottom clubs stay bottom clubs. I know finance plays a part too but that's just a part of it.

Edited by thundergaz, 26 December 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#28 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

I don't recall a champ club being denied access to the premier league do you? I also doubt if someone finishes top of the champ and they don't meet the criteria for premier league that they won't be let in. As they would be a massive uproar in football and that's what is missing in our game for me. The RFL and the so called big clubs call too many of the shots in RL nowadays that's why the top clubs stay top clubs and the bottom clubs stay bottom clubs. I know finance plays a part too but that's just a part of it.

The vast majority of Championship clubs are already in a state to be promoted in football. If Scunthorpe United had won the Championship, do you think they'd promote them?

Basically, P&R without standards is what you want. And expansion that doesn't harm the chances of the established teams' success.
Posted Image

#29 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

The vast majority of Championship clubs are already in a state to be promoted in football. If Scunthorpe United had won the Championship, do you think they'd promote them?

Basically, P&R without standards is what you want. And expansion that doesn't harm the chances of the established teams' success.

Yes to both questions. That is what I would like to happen and should happen IMO but I'm only one voice and everybody is entitled to their opinion too. But the teams that are in SL at the minute their fans are a bit blinded because if they were in say us , fax or Leigh's situation their opinions would change I'm in no doubt about that.

Edited by thundergaz, 26 December 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#30 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Well if they meet the criteria they won't bloody well be refused, try getting a club into the Championship or Premier League with a ground that isn't all seater.

Here's the Football Leagues Criteria

http://www.football-...2293633_2128158

http://www.thefa.com...cial-regulation

In the Premier League all pitches must conform to a standard size of 105m x 68m, that's ok if your pitch is over sized you can bring it in, but what if your pitch is the F.A's. minimum size of 100m x 64m with no spare space around the edges.

Premier League dressing rooms must be a minimum of 30m2

The stadium must have 50 press seats with an desk, an electrical point, a tv monitor.

The stadium must have 12 TV commentary positions, 15 radio broadcast positions for uk broadcasters, plus commentry positions for foreign broadcasters. There are regulations on where in the stadium these must be.

The list goes on and on..

Are you telling me that every single club in the FA can meet these requirements without remedial work?

Edited by Padge, 26 December 2012 - 11:19 AM.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#31 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

whoops

Edited by Padge, 26 December 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#32 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Well if they meet the criteria they won't bloody well be refused, try getting a club into the Championship or Premier League with a ground that isn't all seater.

Here's the Football Leagues Criteria

http://www.football-...2293633_2128158

http://www.thefa.com...cial-regulation

In the Premier League all pitches must conform to a standard size of 105m x 68m, that's ok if your pitch is over sized you can bring it in, but what if your pitch is the F.A's. minimum size of 100m x 64m with no spare space around the edges.

Premier League dressing rooms must be a minimum of 30m2

The stadium must have 50 press seats with an desk, an electrical point, a tv monitor.

The stadium must have 12 TV commentary positions, 15 radio broadcast positions for uk broadcasters, plus commentry positions for foreign broadcasters. There are regulations on where in the stadium these must be.

The list goes on and on..

Are you telling me that every single club in the FA can meet these requirements?

What I'm saying is if a team gets promoted to the premier league even if they don't meet the criteria no way will they be refused entry. No one as ever heard of a footy club being told you can't enter the premier league because of criteria. No club ever will either.

#33 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

What I'm saying is if a team gets promoted to the premier league even if they don't meet the criteria no way will they be refused entry. No one as ever heard of a footy club being told you can't enter the premier league because of criteria. No club ever will either.

From memory Blackpool had to upgrade their ground or else they wouldn't have been promoted.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#34 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

From memory Blackpool had to upgrade their ground or else they wouldn't have been promoted.

Correct Blackpool only had a 12,000 seater stadium and had to upgrade it to 16,000 if they didn't they were not going to be allowed up.

#35 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

Yes to both questions.

Glamford Park would not be allowed into the Premier League. Ever. It has less than 10k capacity and isn't even all seater. It's laughable that you think they would.

That is what I would like to happen and should happen IMO but I'm only one voice and everybody is entitled to their opinion too. But the teams that are in SL at the minute their fans are a bit blinded because if they were in say us , fax or Leigh's situation their opinions would change I'm in no doubt about that.

So basically you're saying that as long as these expansion sides never get good enough to get in the way of the established clubs, you're all for them? That's not exactly expansion, is it? You're not for expansion at all. You're very much for the status quo, so long as it's your club involved.

The RFL aren't going to pick rules to suit your team. They'll do it to suit the game.
Posted Image

#36 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

You can have three SL cubs in Hull if someone wants to bankroll each one, ad infinitum, just like you can have three clubs in SL in the Calder area. I've nowt against any club I just wish to see the game spread out for the sake of the game and I wish to see such strongholds as Hull and the Wakefield area give the top four a game again, for the sake of the game.

That fine and i agree with you. However, you had a go at me for counting the chickens before they hatched and I was pointing out to you the qualification in my OP where I stated that there was a big IF involved.

#37 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Glamford Park would not be allowed into the Premier League. Ever. It has less than 10k capacity and isn't even all seater. It's laughable that you think they would.

So basically you're saying that as long as these expansion sides never get good enough to get in the way of the established clubs, you're all for them? That's not exactly expansion, is it? You're not for expansion at all. You're very much for the status quo, so long as it's your club involved.

The RFL aren't going to pick rules to suit your team. They'll do it to suit the game.

Suit the game? That's April fools day comment isn't it? Don't you mean to suit them? The RFL is full of clowns and jesters and one day they will be all made to pay for what they have done to our game.

#38 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Suit the game? That's April fools day comment isn't it? Don't you mean to suit them? The RFL is full of clowns and jesters and one day they will be all made to pay for what they have done to our game.

You can tell its panto season, the drama queens are out in force.

#39 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

That fine and i agree with you. However, you had a go at me for counting the chickens before they hatched and I was pointing out to you the qualification in my OP where I stated that there was a big IF involved.

Have a go at you?

Never :D

#40 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

What have they done? How can they make the game suit "them"? What's in it for "them"?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users