RLWC2013 Cumbria England

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Town Globetrotter

Town Globetrotter
  • Coach
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Received some world cup final tickets today as a Christmas present and I was thinking that we should be hosting a world cup warm-up game between Cumbria and England at Derwent Park in October. The benefits include:

- competitive warm up game for England prior to playing Australia in Cardiff on Oct 26th
- opportunity for the ground staff and local authorities to test their plans, logistics and processes for holding an international match with a large crowd
- increases local awareness and interest in the world cup
- great boost and reward for Cumbrian rugby league
- end of season incentive to Cumbrian players in Super League, Championships and NCL leagues

For me this is a no brainer, if England can fit the match into their preparation schedule. Lastly if England can't...would Italy or France fancy playing us?

#2 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

It's certainly something that should be seriously considered. I'm not so sure it would fit in to England's schedule but certainly one of the lesser countries and most likely Scotland who will be playing two games at Derwent Park.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#3 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

The international warm up to test everything out is a spot on idea ... Cumbria v Scotland would be first in my mind. By the way , keep reading teams putting out their squad numbers list and I wonder when we have to name ours ?

Edited by DavidM, 25 December 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#4 PLD

PLD
  • Coach
  • 516 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Don't think England would want to play us again.

They were lucky to get out of the Wreck with a draw at Garry's match.

Rugby League must be a great game to survive the fools at the RFL who run it.

#5 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

I think the RFL were loathe to give town the world cup games and only did so because an almighty cock up down the road. I wouldn't be surprised if they directed and WC warm up down the road so we may have to be careful what we wish for....

#6 badknee

badknee
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Excellent posting from Town Globetrotter. Town and Cumbrian rugby league need to explore every avenue to elivate their standing in the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users