RLWC2013 Cumbria England

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Town Globetrotter

Town Globetrotter
  • Coach
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Received some world cup final tickets today as a Christmas present and I was thinking that we should be hosting a world cup warm-up game between Cumbria and England at Derwent Park in October. The benefits include:

- competitive warm up game for England prior to playing Australia in Cardiff on Oct 26th
- opportunity for the ground staff and local authorities to test their plans, logistics and processes for holding an international match with a large crowd
- increases local awareness and interest in the world cup
- great boost and reward for Cumbrian rugby league
- end of season incentive to Cumbrian players in Super League, Championships and NCL leagues

For me this is a no brainer, if England can fit the match into their preparation schedule. Lastly if England can't...would Italy or France fancy playing Cumbria?

#2 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Yeah i think its a great idea, can i see it happening, probably not! As much as id love it to though. it would be great for us long suffering cumbrians, Im just glad we've got a couple of world cup games to tell you the truth. looking forward to watching the tongans and the nrl studded italians!

Edited by shun, 25 December 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#3 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Lastly if England can't...would Italy or France fancy playing Cumbria?

Or tonga to play cumbria? I think that this would be the most realistic option and would also be a cracking game!
Or maybe Scotland v Cumbria as a warm up, As this is where Scotland will be based, although i would say that cumbria would win this game quite comprehensively and that would not be a very good warm up for scotland :D

Edited by shun, 25 December 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#4 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Tonga v Cumbria would be interesting. A full strength Cumbria side would pose a decent game too any nation outside the top 3. A team of:

Elliot Miller
Ade Gardner
Matt Gardner
Ryan Shaw
Craig Calvert
Peter Lupton
Liam Campbell
Kyle Amor
Shaun Lunt
Lee Mossop
Oliver Wilkes
Liam Harrison
Ben Harrison

Graeme Mattison
Brad Singleton
Ewan Dowes
Andrew Dawson

Would definitely be a great warm up game for any nation outside the top 3 and also the Cumbrian players involved. Would be great for the county also. But unlikely it would be that side and even more unlikely that the game will happen.

#5 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

England v Cumbria would be a good warm-up for England, and it is the sort of fixture that should be played every season (or at least England Knights). To put it on at Workington, or Tonga v Cumbria, just before the World Cup doesn't make commercial sense. The WC marketing effort will be going all out to fill the ground yet we put on a more attractive game on just before? It's not going to help.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#6 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

England v Cumbria would be a good warm-up for England, and it is the sort of fixture that should be played every season (or at least England Knights). To put it on at Workington, or Tonga v Cumbria, just before the World Cup doesn't make commercial sense. The WC marketing effort will be going all out to fill the ground yet we put on a more attractive game on just before? It's not going to help.

Agree it's unlikely to happen. I'd be surprised if they allowed any warm up matches in the host nations pre World Cup as it detracts attention and sales away from the tournament. If they do have any I would think they would advertise them very late.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,211 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

Put it on in Barrow. That s a good distance from Workington and would give Barrovians a chance to see World Cup teams. The gate receipts could be shared between the tourists and Cumbria RL who I am sure could find some use for the money.

#8 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

Could whet many S Cumbrians who enjoyed this game (if scheduled) to attend the W Cup game up the coast who would'nt usually bother as its given them a taster, so to speak.

Edited by mick wilson, 28 December 2012 - 01:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users