Football

I enjoyed tonight's Real Madrid v Man Utd game. First football game watched this season. What made it even better was the post-game spirit and respect shown between the managers and players, much like a rugby game. If more games were played like this then I'd watch more!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I enjoyed tonight's Real Madrid v Man Utd game. First football game watched this season. What made it even better was the post-game spirit and respect shown between the managers and players, much like a rugby game. If more games were played like this then I'd watch more!

Yep, loved it. European competition is great because the teams don't know each other as well as they do their domestic opponents. Ronaldo scored a brilliant goal yet acknowledged the travelling fans in his celebration. A bit more humility on the football pitch by domestic players would probably go a long way in improving attitudes all round.

Fides invicta triumphat

I'll tell you what, I can't remember the last time Bradford City center was so full of people and...almost, almost mind, buzzing. And its all down to this cup final, never seen so many flag /t-shirt sellers, its like a Del Boy convention.

Hope they win the thing!!!

<weary>Rotten from top to bottom</weary>

There's an awful lot wrong with soccer but it is the world's community game. Now that the US has fallen it is everywhere.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

There was nowhere near this much excitement when they made the PL. As a RL fan, I'm slightly jealous but regardless it's brilliant to see. The thing that is rreally good is the genuine racial mix of people getting involved, its quite a revolution really.

That's the thing that a Cup final can have as well I guess. Especially when it's so completely unexpected.

Good to hear about the racial mix as well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Not sure about that really. The PL era didn't just happen over a few weeks, it happened over several years giving a euphoric but not totally unexpected feeling. This has come from nowhere. People have stopped saying they come from 'near Leeds'. ...at least for now ;)

Its great!!

Yeah, that's what I meant. Naymind.

I think Peter Beardsley doesn't play any more.

Zenit fans were on BBC News this morning basically saying without any hesitation or guilt that their fans do not want black players in the side, they will not have them in their team, in fact it's "tradition" according to them. If I were Rogers I'd keep certain players out, get through the game and then get the hell out of there. But I know that isn't the right thing to do.

Lol!

A number of community activists from the Leeds United community have just had their activities acknowledged with a reward of time at Her Majesties pleasure.

Much as I'd like to believe that all Leeds United fans are thus implicated as being criminal #### (that is what you're implying presumably?) I'm afraid I know too many of them who don't fit your rancid generalising picture.

They also seem to be the first soccer team for a lot of rugby league fans. Want to unite Cas and Fev fans? Get them talking about Leeds United.

Zenit fans were on BBC News this morning basically saying without any hesitation or guilt that their fans do not want black players in the side, they will not have them in their team, in fact it's "tradition" according to them. If I were Rogers I'd keep certain players out, get through the game and then get the hell out of there. But I know that isn't the right thing to do.

They've produced a manifesto that basically says, "No niggers, no homos."

Coincidentally, Beitar Jerusalem are having the same debate about whether Muslims are welcome in their 'Jewish' team. They have decided that they are.

Soccer is rotten from top to bottom you see.

True. But it's what's bringing them together and pushing them into the headlines today. I wasn't arguing either way, I'm just saying these c"nts are gonna be out in force at the game today.

Soccer is one of the last bastions of homophobia. Even worse, they even class people as beneath them (gay, obviously) if they engage in obviously gay activities like reading books. Have you seen the news today?

Soccer is one of the last bastions of homophobia. Even worse, they even class people as beneath them (gay, obviously) if they engage in obviously gay activities like reading books. Have you seen the news today?

Err, nope. Not yet, some waffle on sky sports news about the back pages, Arsenal, Chelsea, boo hoo. What's gone on?

That's because they are racists. That's not the fault of soccer.

well these people are attracted to it and feel at home in it and that goes back many years, even from boardroom level and beyond. Nothing was ever done about it and now its part of soccer culture, including the kind of hate filled behaviour that spawns the runway of death song and many other vile expressions

These people are not a majority, but they are an ingrained and vociferous minority, there transcend age and class.

Rugby League has its bigots, but has always been open to all, and has a tradition of not tolerating this kind of behaviour.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Err, nope. Not yet, some waffle on sky sports news about the back pages, Arsenal, Chelsea, boo hoo. What's gone on?

If it's that a US soccer player has come out but decided to spend some time away from soccer I'm not really sure what's being said.

If it's anything else I'm even more baffled.

And if RL was as popular as soccer, all those problems would affect us too. Its all a question of numbers....I'm pretty sure soccer has not had a policy of racism/exclusion? (willing to be told otherwise though)

Soccer is genuinely played all over the world, I'd say that's pretty much open to all. Soccer is more likely to bring peace to the middle east than politics, far more likely.

It's a question of leadership John

Blatter says that racism on the field isn't a problem that can't be solved by a handshake at the final whistle

it isn't long ago that the chairman of Crystal Palace said that black players couldn't defend and commentators on tv would go on all the time about african players being excitable, naive and so on.

The issue of racism, homophobia and hate hasn't been addressed ever in soccer.

on the other hand you are spot on when you, or it might have been someone else. talk about soccer being the world's community sport. There can't be a shanty town, slum, public playing field in most of the world where people many without even shoes on their feet aren't enjoying soccer in some way: and your comment about the middle east is right on the money.

edit: the tradition of racism, sexism and homophobia in soccer is far more insiduous and ingrained through tradition to be enshrined in official policy.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

Keeping it local

You're correct about the leadership bit. But I still maintain that if RL were as big, whilst the game may have had laudable aims and aspirations we would end up with similar problems due to sheer weight of numbers and the percentage of idiots therefore involved.

Re: being gay. It's not that long ago that it was impossible to 'come out' whatever your job. It will clearly take some time for a game as big as soccer to get to grips with the matter.

you might well be right.

The thing about soccer though is that nothing has been done for decades and so it's taken for granted

it will be some time if and when soccer gets to grips with the matter.

other cultures made a start a long time ago: but soccer for some reason lags behind.

Keeping it local

Is there or has there been any good soccer journalists who have ever tried to (seriously) cover or bring up these issues?

Or are they all as poor and shallow as Martyn Samuel(s)?

Possibly Hugh McIlvanney? He used to write in depth and intelligent articles around football, as opposed to about football, and he probably did cover issues such as racism in the 60s and 70s.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.