Football

• Please log in to reply
1223 replies to this topic

#401 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

They've won all those trophies on the back of developing youth talent, shrewd purchases (as opposed to throwing money around like it's going out of fashion) and playing attractive, positive Football. So, there's a template for success... which nobody else in the English game appears to have recognised.

I think, and I'm as guilty of this as anyone, that it's easier to say that kind of thing than to do it.

That's me.  I'm done.

#402 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

lets just say everything comes easier with money, would he have got qpr promotion in the way warnock did? then stayed on and saw them survive the prem for 26 years? simple answer NOPE.

He seems to have done pretty well at the Scottish clubs he managed.

I think we can say that he would have got promotion for QPR.

That's me.  I'm done.

#403 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

He seems to have done pretty well at the Scottish clubs he managed.

I think we can say that he would have got promotion for QPR.

The days of the New Firm in Scotland ... tell that to the youngsters these days and they'll look at you like, "Wait, they play football in Scotland?"
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#404 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

tell that to the youngsters these days and they'll look at you like, "Wait, they play football in Scotland?"

When you see the odd game of Scottish football on TV you might think they have a point.

That's me.  I'm done.

#405 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

The days of the New Firm in Scotland ... tell that to the youngsters these days and they'll look at you like, "Wait, they play football in Scotland?"

Well they have to have something to do during the caber tossing off season.

LUNEW.jpg

#406 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

When you see the odd game of Scottish football on TV you might think they have a point.

We were watching BBC Alba at work last year and they had Ross Co v Jocks Utd, or someone, and a colleague suggested that even though this was SPL, it was like watching English Conference football, and I had to admit it was much more tedious than normal English Football
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#407 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

I hear David Moyes is the new Man Utd manager. At least he should be RL friendly as he was matey with Ian Millward.

#408 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

This is certainly true. It has gone downhill a lot - at least at Premier League level - since the 80s/90s. No idea about the lower level as I haven't seen a game in a very long time in those divisions. Always enjoyed the atmosphere in the grounds though.
- Severus, July 2012

#409 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,847 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Celtic beat Barcelona this season.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#410 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

Well done to the Latics today and congratulations to their fans. Not a fan of football myself but nice to see David beat Golieth now and again.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#411 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,349 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Well done Latics, I'm not @r£d about soccer, but good on yer.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#412 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Gritted teeth mode on  ;)

Well done, Wigan.

Gritted teeth mode off.

Seriously.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#413 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Celtic beat Barcelona this season.

And the celebrations were probably longer, louder and more emotional than when they won the European Cup.
- Severus, July 2012

#414 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Wigan do what Brighton could have done.

I'm assuming that Shrek of this parish is smiling *very* broadly.
- Severus, July 2012

#415 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

Hearing some reports on twitter that the FA cup commentator 'had a pop' at RL or Wigan RL. Anyone hear what he said if true?

#416 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

Workington AFC for me

#417 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

Hearing some reports on twitter that the FA cup commentator 'had a pop' at RL or Wigan RL. Anyone hear what he said if true?

Less of a pop at RL and more of a statement on how far Wigan athletic have come. He just said that the latics are now drawing bigger crowds than Wigan RL.

#418 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

He said something along the lines of Wigan RL 18 CC victories being eclipsed by the Latics win.

RL got more than a few mentions.
Fides invicta triumphat

#419 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

He said something along the lines of Wigan RL 18 CC victories being eclipsed by the Latics win.

RL got more than a few mentions.

I don't think one FA cup victory, as remarkable as it might be, equals that.

#420 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,847 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

And the celebrations were probably longer, louder and more emotional than when they won the European Cup.

I think that's true of every sports achievement compared to a predecessor event fifty years ago.

Sport is presented, and regarded with way too much importance.

We used to despise the likes of Cuba and East Germany because they were tinpot countries who used professional sportspeople to gain propaganda by winning medals. It worked internationally and was intended to give a sense of pride to their citizens.

Nowadays, successive UK governments have used the same sporting-success policy to camouflage their allowing the decline of the country in terms of world importance and industrial power.

The UK's sports successes are presented with a smile rather than a stare, but its still bread and circuses.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users