Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Football

• Please log in to reply
1130 replies to this topic

#561 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,720 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

The Clark Carlisle documentary on Depression in professional footballers is really good. It must apply to our sport as well.

It was a good programme, a small wedge into the silence on the subject in football.

It does apply to rugby league as well, Chris Westwood did an outstanding interview/article in RLW in 2010 on Paul Whatuira's breakdown.  Then you have Terry Newton.

I wonder how many people have died or suffered unduly due to people in sport being too embarrassed to talk about it or being told by others to "just snap out of it".

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#562 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

It was a good programme, a small wedge into the silence on the subject in football.

It does apply to rugby league as well, Chris Westwood did an outstanding interview/article in RLW in 2010 on Paul Whatuira's breakdown.  Then you have Terry Newton.

I wonder how many people have died or suffered unduly due to people in sport being too embarrassed to talk about it or being told by others to "just snap out of it".

Yes, it's part of life. Sports people may face particular kinds of pressures associated with injuries, fears about the future, the pressures of competition, success and failure etc but they also experience the same life events that affect other people before, during and after their sporting careers. Paul Whatuira's experience being an example of the impact of events that happened when he was a child, which had an impact as an adult while he was playing as a professional RL player.

#563 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

There's pressure on sportsmen to be Alpha Males and never show weakness. The damage this can do to someone who's suffering inwardly can be severe, as they try to suppress their problems.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#564 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,958 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

Striking a blow for equality England's women put in three matches of huff and puff, and are taken to the cleaners by foreigners with superior skills.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#565 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

From another forum, someone posted this yesterday - food for thought: "Should they fail to get a win, we will have spent the summer going through the Men's U20s World Cup, the Men's European U21s Championships and the Ladies European Championships without registering a single win, let alone progressing past the group stages."

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#566 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,958 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

From another forum, someone posted this yesterday - food for thought: "Should they fail to get a win, we will have spent the summer going through the Men's U20s World Cup, the Men's European U21s Championships and the Ladies European Championships without registering a single win, let alone progressing past the group stages."

And U19s as well, I think.

EDIT
Although I may have made that up.

Edited by gingerjon, 19 July 2013 - 01:09 PM.

- Severus, July 2012

#567 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

Frank Lampard, who is currently promoting his new book, being introduced on Radio 5: "he's not the first Footballer to write a children's book, but he may be the first to have done so intentionally". :D

Shame fat Frank didn't write it.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#568 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

Just finished reading Inverting the Pyramid by Johnathan Wilson, absolutely cracking read if your a football fan, would highly recommend it.

#569 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Super Saints progress in Europe.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#570 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,958 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

And well done Steve May operating under a 'Iain M Banks' style pseudonym north of the border.

- Severus, July 2012

#571 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hope they make it to the group stages and get Wigan, can imagine there'd be a decent atmosphere especially north of the border and it'd be one less flight to book from a selfish point of view!

#572 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,720 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Nice to see that women professional footballers can dive as blatantly as the men. Also nice to see that the women referees fall for it as much as the male ones.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#573 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,720 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

I think it might be fair to say that the Germans won on penalties ;)

#574 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,958 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Pleased Germany won. Bit dull in terms of variety but thought Norway's approach was so negative overall.
- Severus, July 2012

#575 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

It's been lovely the past 6 weeks or so as just been British Lion's Rugby/Wimbledon and the Ashes taking over the back page from Football now as we speak we getting the pre season games on and it's just TOO MUCH. 

#576 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,495 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Yes, it's part of life. Sports people may face particular kinds of pressures associated with injuries, fears about the future, the pressures of competition, success and failure etc but they also experience the same life events that affect other people before, during and after their sporting careers. Paul Whatuira's experience being an example of the impact of events that happened when he was a child, which had an impact as an adult while he was playing as a professional RL player.

That is an excellent point
And as you say Paul's story exemplifies it

I don't think that sport's people are any more prone to depression than anyone else
They have the same kind of life background as anyone else and the effects are the same or not the same since we are all different
Depression is all about a person's idea of themselves and that idea becoming catastrophically negative
Just because you are well known and materially well off and/ or good at what you do it makes no difference
Chris W
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#577 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

I don't think that sport's people are any more prone to depression than anyone else
They have the same kind of life background as anyone else and the effects are the same or not the same since we are all different
Depression is all about a person's idea of themselves and that idea becoming catastrophically negative
Just because you are well known and materially well off and/ or good at what you do it makes no difference
Chris W

not necessarily

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#578 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,495 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

Chris W

not necessarily

I'd be interested in your thoughts
Keeping it local

#579 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'd be interested in your thoughts

well there is grief related for one.

It's a massive stigma though. I know a matye who is going through a form of depression but won't go to the doctors as he doesn't want to be labelled as having depression. My thought when I initially had it was, I hate this I want to get out of it. As L'ang says that was basically down to my interpreation of views I sought help to get me out of it. Who gives a monkeys if you may label yourself that you have depression so long as you can see the light and may need help to get there.

I saw the Clarke Carlisle docu and thought it was humbling. well put together. Tried to locate his Racism docu but couldn't find it.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#580 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,495 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

well there is grief related for one.

It's a massive stigma though. I know a matye who is going through a form of depression but won't go to the doctors as he doesn't want to be labelled as having depression. My thought when I initially had it was, I hate this I want to get out of it. As L'ang says that was basically down to my interpreation of views I sought help to get me out of it. Who gives a monkeys if you may label yourself that you have depression so long as you can see the light and may need help to get there.

I saw the Clarke Carlisle docu and thought it was humbling. well put together. Tried to locate his Racism docu but couldn't find it.

well grief can generate feelings of guilt and inadequacy which are associated with depression

being very sad over something bad that has happend is not depression

but is still a major personal issue

depression revolves around a catastrophically negative self image

associated with overhwelming feelings of guilt, inadequacy, uselessness,shame,  worthlessness, unworthiness and so on

it is absolutely imperative to get help and support from outside

Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users