Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Football

• Please log in to reply
1168 replies to this topic

#601 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

Great win for Norn Ireland vs Russia. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/23637292

Good stuff from the Huddersfield Town man, Martin Paterson.

#602 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

The good thing was that the ref was far more tolerant than a non-UK ref usually is.  He clearly did his research and understood that the game would have more bite than the typical international friendly.

Quite enjoyable for a football match...

It was enjoyable (apart from the obvious :) ) - now for the eternal problem of getting Scotland to show that much commitment and belief in a world cup or Euro qualification match, in some remote eastern European country, on a wet Wednesday in February!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#603 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Great win for Norn Ireland vs Russia. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/23637292

Good stuff from the Huddersfield Town man, Martin Paterson.

Did notice that. Hopefully they can make Windsor a fortress once more!

#604 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,137 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Did notice that. Hopefully they can make Windsor a fortress once more!

They've got the road blocks already

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#605 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,137 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

Interesting to see that Darren Bent has gone to Fulham on loan when, according to the Times, his first preference was Newcastle, who also wanted him.

Joe Kinnear, Newcastle's Director of Football,  allegedly asked him to hang on until the end of the transfer window in the hope that the price would drop ( presumably that would also allow the club to meet Bent's salary demands.)

Newcastle are  looking for two new strikers for the season. They have reportedly already signed one ...  Loic Remy ... but he is out for up to a month with injury.

Alan Pardew must be fuming because the club is seemingly more interested in saving £2million than doing everything possible to win its first four or five games.

Come the back end of September, the club could be flailing around trying to get a striker who is available, rather than one that the manager wants.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#606 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

With regards to England I have been on about home nations over a two year period for "friendlies" for some time. To give us that bit of competitve practise as opposed to playing Hungary, Slovenia etc. Litter that with games against the continents best, Germany, France, Ghana, Brazil.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#607 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

it's time for me to go into hibernation.

#608 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

I hope they bring back the tiger stripe shirts.

hull%20city%20tiger%20kit.jpg

That explains why they used to come out to the Tiger Rag.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#609 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,015 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

With regards to England I have been on about home nations over a two year period for "friendlies" for some time. To give us that bit of competitve practise as opposed to playing Hungary, Slovenia etc. Litter that with games against the continents best, Germany, France, Ghana, Brazil.

There used to be the Home Internationals at the end of every season and the jocks used to win quite a bit. They sacked them in the 80's IIRC.
Always remember the Scottish fans snapping the goalposts at Wembley after Ray Clemence had let that goal through his legs. 2-0

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#610 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

That's neat.  ;)

Edited by longboard, 17 August 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#611 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

That isn't a bad idea - I feel that every year would be too much but stretching it out could work. I don't know how the game was received in England, but here in Scotland there was a lot of enthusiasm; and pleasant surprise at how Scotland coped! Everyone was up for it but there was a nagging fear that England could run away with it.

Of course, for Scottish supporters the trip to Wembley to play England is akin to a footballing pilgrimage. One member of the Tartan Army, contributing to a radio discussion programme, suggested holding it in London every year as an International Charity Shield (in addition to the club one). 

The only problem I can see with reinstating the championship, and one reason why it was scrapped in the first place, is that the home nations will get practice at playing teams that play the 'British' style of football. Not necessarily good preparation for dealing with those nations who successfully play a more patient style.

#612 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,466 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

That's neat.  ;)

You would've loved their tiger feet.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#613 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

It was enjoyable (apart from the obvious :) ) - now for the eternal problem of getting Scotland to show that much commitment and belief in a world cup or Euro qualification match, in some remote eastern European country, on a wet Wednesday in February!

And still lose

Well done Villa at the weekend, I was staying at my Partners family in Finsbury Park, and I went to see the Lowry retrospective at the Tate Britain, and as I came out of Finsbury Park tube*, the crowd were dispersing from the Emirates, I couldn't help but grin when I asked two Arsenal supporters the score, it really did feel like I was behind enemy lines.

*Note for the thicko's, I know Tate Britain isn't near FP Tube, my GF is from there, Tate Britain is near Pimlico tube.

Edited by Bleep1673, 20 August 2013 - 07:23 AM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#614 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

You are NOT Scottish !  :tongue:

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#615 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

can there be any more pointless thing- year in year out than Celtics inclusion in the champions league?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#616 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

You are NOT Scottish !  :tongue:

Shush, you! :P (And I'm a damn sight more Scottish than most of our RLWC team will be.)

I'm quite happy with dual nationality, but not when it comes to the beautiful game (and rugby union).

#617 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

can there be any more pointless thing- year in year out than Celtics inclusion in the champions league?

Where on earth has that come from?

#618 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

And still lose

Narrowly, away from home and against a team 14th in the FIFA rankings (I'm sure England were higher than that, they must have slipped recently). My point is that if they play like that more often they'll have a lot more success against most European teams than in recent years.

#619 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

Where on earth has that come from?

DNFTT
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#620 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,015 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:49 AM

Celtic were the first British side to win the European Cup (when it was the proper EC) so have as much right as anyone, if not more so

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users