Football

• Please log in to reply
1149 replies to this topic

#621 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,754 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

Celtic were the first British side to win the European Cup (when it was the proper EC) so have as much right as anyone, if not more so

Really?
Fides invicta triumphat

#622 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,003 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

Really?

Well, they were the first British side.  That's an actual fact as opposed to a FACT.

Also, they're not actually in the Champions League proper, just the qualifying rounds.  It's like saying that Holmer Green FC have no right to enter the FA Cup.

But in really important news, Chalfont Wasps beat Chinnor 4-3 in a cracking game in the gloom (no floodlights) up at Crossleys last night.  The crowd of 41 were mightily entertained.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#623 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Former England international Becky Easton on Hope Powell "If you questioned, disagreed or in any way upset her... you would be banished for life. She had her pool of players (aka favourites) whom she would select... despite injury, fitness, form or whether they have one leg".

That's either some epic sour grapes or, finally, an explanation for the 73(!) caps won by Eniola Aluko, who's kicked more footballs over the crossbar than Jonny Wilkinson.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#624 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,003 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

Former England international Becky Easton on Hope Powell "If you questioned, disagreed or in any way upset her... you would be banished for life. She had her pool of players (aka favourites) whom she would select... despite injury, fitness, form or whether they have one leg".

That's either some epic sour grapes or, finally, an explanation for the 73(!) caps won by Eniola Aluko, who's kicked more footballs over the crossbar than Jonny Wilkinson.

There are quite a few ex-England internationals lining up to say the same and it was openly stated as being the reason why during the Euros she brought on injured players with 100 caps rather than healthy youngsters with none - something she also did in the World Cup.

- Severus, July 2012

#625 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

Interesting.

There'll be a vacancy coming for coach of the England men RL team after the World Cup and she sounds like she has just the right management approach.

That's me.  I'm done.

#626 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

Why are Celtic and Ranger's not part of the English Football set up like Cardiff and Swansea.

#627 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,003 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

Why are Celtic and Ranger's not part of the English Football set up like Cardiff and Swansea.

Because several Welsh clubs took one look at the FAW set-up and ran a mile.

These days they'd probably be blocked from doing so - that's why Rangers & Celtic would struggle to be allowed to move, and why in the women's set-up Glasgow City can't - but back in the day there was no issue.

- Severus, July 2012

#628 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Rangers and Celtic (until Rangers' financial implosion) were to all intents and purposes guaranteed participation in European competition every year. This earned big bucks.

To join the English League would be financial foolishness ...

- both sell their grounds out every week so there would be no gate receipt rise.

- they would not be guaranteed to be offered a place in the Premiership

- they would win fewer trophies

- they might well not get back into Europe for at least 3 years.

The Welsh League is a pretty low standard, about on a par with the English Conference. About twenty years ago, Cardiff, Newport, Swansea, Wrexham and Merthyr refused to secede to it and stayed in the English pyramid system.

Strangely, if a Cardiff or Swansea player gets sent off, he is disciplined by the Welsh FA.

Swansea have had to have special permission to play in Europe this season.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#629 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,003 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

Rangers and Celtic (until Rangers' financial implosion) were to all intents and purposes guaranteed participation in European competition every year. This earned big bucks.

- both sell their grounds out every week so there would be no gate receipt rise.

The Welsh League is a pretty low standard, about on a par with the English Conference. About twenty years ago, Cardiff, Newport, Swansea, Wrexham and Merthyr refused to secede to it and stayed in the English pyramid system.

Strangely, if a Cardiff or Swansea player gets sent off, he is disciplined by the Welsh FA.

Swansea have had to have special permission to play in Europe this season.

The Welsh League is very low standard.  You mean the League of Wales, or as it is now, the Welsh Premier.  Its establishment in 1992 led to the original 'irate 8' staying within the English system instead of (re)joining the Welsh one.  Clubs such as Barry Town (RIP hahahahahahahahahaha) and Bangor City left the English system to join the newly national Welsh one.  When I was watching it week in week out I'd have put the LoW on a par with the upper divisions of the Southern/Northern/Isthmian leagues - these days I'd say it might not be quite that strong but that's more because the English non leagues have become more professional.

Swansea and Cardiff players are now disciplined by the FA as they are in the FA Premier League.  I don't know if they would go back to being sanctioned by the FAW if they returned to the Football League.

- Severus, July 2012

#630 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,767 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

Really?

Yeah, the year before Man United won it.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#631 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,754 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, the year before Man United won it.

No my point was you were claiming that a team had a right to be in a competition due to winning it once.
Fides invicta triumphat

#632 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

I have more chance of winning miss world than celtic have of winning the champions league, how many years have they played in it just cos the rest of scotlands club teams are 3rd rate, year in year out, along with rangers till recently making up the numbers until the enevitable ko

Edited by bedlam breakout, 21 August 2013 - 03:28 PM.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#633 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,767 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

No my point was you were claiming that a team had a right to be in a competition due to winning it once.

I don't realistically think that, but if he is bagging a team, at least choose one that hasn't won the thing

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#634 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

I read somewhere that top clubs, from this season, receive close to £100 million by competing in the English Premier League.

Celtic, more than capable of being the second best supported club in the English competition were they to be admitted, received about £2.5 million for being in (and winning) the SPL. If they fail to overcome last night's 2-0 defeat then they stand to lose £20 million by missing out on the Champions League group stages.

Even without European football they would benefit massively in financial terms by being part of the English Premier League, and I'm sure Celtic would be confident of qualifying even against the usual English qualifiers.

There are reasons, however, why the English football authorities would be crazy to admit either of the Old Firm.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#635 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

1 I read somewhere that top clubs, from this season, receive close to £100 million by competing in the English Premier League.

2 Even without European football they would benefit massively in financial terms by being part of the English Premier League, and I'm sure Celtic would be confident of qualifying even against the usual English qualifiers.

1. I think it's £60million, which is a big rise apparently.

2. I think, at that money, no English Premier League team outside Man U would vote to allow Celtic or Rangers in. The cost of joining the Championship (if it was offered) might still be worth it if they expected to be promoted within a couple of years.

I think their best chance is a European Super League. With the government making Sky share coverage with other broadcasters, it might suit Sky and the big clubs to break away. I bet UEFA would love to stick one on the English FA by supporting the idea.  

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#636 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

2. I think, at that money, no English Premier League team outside Man U would vote to allow Celtic or Rangers in. The cost of joining the Championship (if it was offered) might still be worth it if they expected to be promoted within a couple of years.

I think their best chance is a European Super League. With the government making Sky share coverage with other broadcasters, it might suit Sky and the big clubs to break away. I bet UEFA would love to stick one on the English FA by supporting the idea.  

I don't think there's any chance they'd be voted in. With the support they have they'd be candidates to expand the 'big four' (or is it five these days) but would that be in the interests of the current top-dogs?

Some sort of elite European league would be interesting, but they've been talking about it for years and I'm not sure it would be possible with the politics inherent in UEFA. From a footballing point of view I always fancied the Atlantic League, which would have brought together clubs from Scotland, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal and, possibly, Scandinavia. The idea was that the clubs that had outgrown those leagues could come together and attract the type of revenues associated with the big leagues of England, Spain, Italy, etc.

#637 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

I don't realistically think that, but if he is bagging a team, at least choose one that hasn't won the thing

I'm taking GJ's advice about feeding-time but bagging Celtic, of all the clubs that have ever entered the Champions League (or qualifying rounds) seems strange. Given the handicap they have by not being part of one of Europes wealthier leagues, Celtic are credible performers.

#638 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:51 PM

Anyway, enough of Celtic.

Tonight, Methven's greatest ever footballer scored her first goal for Scotland when she equalised in the last minute against Serbia.

Clelland grabs late equaliser in Serbia

#639 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,003 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

How NBC advertised its coverage of the Premier League

- Severus, July 2012

#640 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

Anyway, enough of Celtic.

Tonight, Methven's greatest ever footballer scored her first goal for Scotland when she equalised in the last minute against Serbia.

Clelland grabs late equaliser in Serbia

I say Methven's greatest ever player...

We noticed that there had been a bereavement on Tuesday at our next door neighbour but one, and as we suspected it was the man of the house who had passed away. To us he had just been Fred, the friendly guy who was always in his garden in the summer, always ready for a chat. It turns out he made over 200 appearances for Aberdeen, was part of the team that in 1995 won the championship for the first time, and was Scotland goalie in the 1954 world cup (6 appearances in total).

Although born in Carnoustie, the family had lived in Methven for a few decades, his wife was teacher at the village school and one of his daughters taught both my children at nursery.

I wish I'd have known, reminiscing about his career would have made a change from chatting about the weather, his garden, my dog...

Fred Martin, RIP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users