Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Football

• Please log in to reply
1122 replies to this topic

#641 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

Was there talk of Dublin having a team in the EPL a few year's back.

#642 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Was there talk of Dublin having a team in the EPL a few year's back.

Wasn't it Wimbledon? I think that was to pressurise the local authority into assisting in the building of a new stadium.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#643 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

Wasn't it Wimbledon? I think that was to pressurise the local authority into assisting in the building of a new stadium.

When I have talked to most Irish they all seem to get utter hard on's over the EPL yet don't seemed that bothered by the other code's of GAA and Rugby Union.

#644 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

A bit random but just wanted to put it out there......Marcelo Bielsa for the England job!!!!

#645 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:40 AM

Would feel sorry for him if he got the job.

The England job is basically trying to control several massive egos who think they are better than they are, and have a nation expect you to get to the semi final stage of a major competition with a team which is probably not in the top 20 when it comes to technically gifted footballers. It's possibly the worst job in the world.

Apart from Beckham, the only ever technically gifted footballer England have ever had is Paul Scholes, he even stated that one of the reasons he retired was due to the amount of egos in the camp.

Anyways 93m for Gareth Bale according to numerous sources, I'm going to guess probably at around 2022 before fofootball implodes on itself and has to restructure everything.

#646 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

The England job is basically trying to control several massive egos who think they are better than they are, and have a nation expect you to get to the semi final stage of a major competition with a team which is probably not in the top 20 when it comes to technically gifted footballers. It's possibly the worst job in the world.

Apart from Beckham, the only ever technically gifted footballer England have ever had is Paul Scholes, he even stated that one of the reasons he retired was due to the amount of egos in the camp.

Anyways 93m for Gareth Bale according to numerous sources, I'm going to guess probably at around 2022 before fofootball implodes on itself and has to restructure everything.

I'm going to guess probably at around 2022 before fofootball implodes on itself and has to restructure everything.

see report

#647 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

That is just plain sick.

#648 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

Aber start the season with a 3-0 win in gogland. Beautiful.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#649 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

Aber start the season with a 3-0 win in gogland. Beautiful.

I've lost touch. I had no idea that Rhyl had been out of the top flight. Last time I looked they were doing quite well.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#650 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

I've lost touch. I had no idea that Rhyl had been out of the top flight. Last time I looked they were doing quite well.

It's all boom and bust unless you're TNS.

- Severus, July 2012

#651 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

There used to be the Home Internationals at the end of every season and the jocks used to win quite a bit. They sacked them in the 80's IIRC.
Always remember the Scottish fans snapping the goalposts at Wembley after Ray Clemence had let that goal through his legs. 2-0

Ah Seventies football a topic I probably know quite a lot about compared to music where I'm a bit rusty. The game in which Clemence let the ball through his legs was in 1976 at Hampden park that being the winning goal in a 2-1 win for Scotland. The posts were snapped in another 2-1 victory for Scotland in 1977 at Wembley.

#652 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Ah Seventies football a topic I probably know quite a lot about compared to music where I'm a bit rusty. The game in which Clemence let the ball through his legs was in 1976 at Hampden park that being the winning goal in a 2-1 win for Scotland. The posts were snapped in another 2-1 victory for Scotland in 1977 at Wembley.

Ah, I thought it was the same game.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#653 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Are these £93 Million figures quoted about Gareth Bale true?

#654 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

He's Welsh. It includes to his stud fee.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#655 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

He's Welsh. It includes to his stud fee.

;)

No need to bring sheep into it. ;)

#656 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

They'll be dancing in the streets of Malaysia tonight ...

- Severus, July 2012

#657 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,869 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Are these £93 Million figures quoted about Gareth Bale true?

Yep, a Football club with massive debts (several hundred million Euros, apparently) in a bankrupt country has offered something close to that amount. Madness.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#658 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Yep, a Football club with massive debts (several hundred million Euros, apparently) in a bankrupt country has offered something close to that amount. Madness.

Utterly ridiculous.

#659 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Talking of Welsh Football, do Colwyn Bay (Conference North) ever play Rhyl (FAW) in friendlies?

I know it football politics, but it does seem Odd that Colwyn Bay, which is further west, is in an English League, and Rhyl opted for the Welsh League.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#660 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

Talking of Welsh Football, do Colwyn Bay (Conference North) ever play Rhyl (FAW) in friendlies?

I know it football politics, but it does seem Odd that Colwyn Bay, which is further west, is in an English League, and Rhyl opted for the Welsh League.

They may do.  Aber have played Newport County in friendlies since the days of schism.  They could all play in the FAW Premier Cup when that existed but the FA teams can't enter the Welsh Cup any more.

- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users