TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Football

• Please log in to reply
1219 replies to this topic

#661 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

League Cup Rd 2
QPR 0-2 The Mighty Swindon Town

Obviously Wembley bound, no stopping us now! :-)
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#662 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Would feel sorry for him if he got the job.

The England job is basically trying to control several massive egos who think they are better than they are, and have a nation expect you to get to the semi final stage of a major competition with a team which is probably not in the top 20 when it comes to technically gifted footballers. It's possibly the worst job in the world.

Apart from Beckham, the only ever technically gifted footballer England have ever had is Paul Scholes, he even stated that one of the reasons he retired was due to the amount of egos in the camp.

Anyways 93m for Gareth Bale according to numerous sources, I'm going to guess probably at around 2022 before fofootball implodes on itself and has to restructure everything.

I think the English are very realistic about England's chances.

I am not sure I have ever met an Englishman who thought England would win the world cup.  There are many who think they have a chance, just as Denmark did in 1992 and Greece in 2004, which is reasonable.

The last time England reached the semi's, it was held as a huge success.  When they reach the quarters, people are satisifed.  When they are out in the second round it is disappointing.  This is in-line with FIFA rankings, which is about as good a guide as there is.

The media get overly ebullient, but that is it,  I think the myth that England fans expect to win was born when it was a working class sport and middle class people sneered at England fans getting excited.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#663 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,514 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

I think the English are very realistic about England's chances.

I am not sure I have ever met an Englishman who thought England would win the world cup.  There are many who think they have a chance, just as Denmark did in 1992 and Greece in 2004, which is reasonable.

The last time England reached the semi's, it was held as a huge success.  When they reach the quarters, people are satisifed.  When they are out in the second round it is disappointing.  This is in-line with FIFA rankings, which is about as good a guide as there is.

The media get overly ebullient, but that is it,  I think the myth that England fans expect to win was born when it was a working class sport and middle class people sneered at England fans getting excited.

Good summary there.

#664 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

can there be any more pointless thing- year in year out than Celtics inclusion in the champions league?

Can there be any more pointless thing than your post?

And can there be any more predictable event than Celtic, year after year, proving their critics wrong when it comes to European football?

GIRUY!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#665 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

According to this website, former Villa midfielder Pat Heard now works as a stage hypnotist.

http://www.where-are.../HEARD Pat/2427

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#666 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

From the FA Cup final at the end of 2012/13 to the Extra Preliminary Round at the start of 2013/14, Wigan Robin Park, leading 2-1on the stroke of 90 minutes, lost 3-2 after 9 minutes of injury time.  Its funny watching teams at this level, at 2-2 there's no seeing the game out, its hell for leather to get a winner so you don't have to pay the other teams travel expenses in the event of a replay!

Pics.

#667 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

According to this website, former Villa midfielder Pat Heard now works as a stage hypnotist.

http://www.where-are.../HEARD Pat/2427

Hadn't you heard?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#668 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

From the FA Cup final at the end of 2012/13 to the Extra Preliminary Round at the start of 2013/14, Wigan Robin Park, leading 2-1on the stroke of 90 minutes, lost 3-2 after 9 minutes of injury time.  Its funny watching teams at this level, at 2-2 there's no seeing the game out, its hell for leather to get a winner so you don't have to pay the other teams travel expenses in the event of a replay!

Pics.

Great photos. I used to really enjoy this stage of "The Road To Wembley", although it did seem weird to be watching the FA Cup in August: at Rochdale involvement in the competition was usually confined to the month of November.

One match I do remember from the early 80s was Rossendale United (now sadly defunct) v Chorley. The FA had just introduced the automatic red card for a professional foul by the last defender on an attacker in a scoring position. Chorley's goalie committed the foul and was duly sent off. Whether the Chorley fans didn't know about the new ruling I don't know, but they were furious - there was an actual pitch invasion by some of the fans (well, two or three of them).

#669 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hadn't you heard?

:fie:

#670 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

Whilst I appreciate it'll never be a problem for me in any subsequent seasons, this watching your team in Europe lark is hard work!

Wigans initial allocation of 1500 tickets for next weeks match in Brugge sold out in 2 hours, a further 2000 tickets have now been allocated, but before you can buy one seemingly you need to provide the club with travel and accomodation details at the request of the police.

Seems a crazy way of doing things, if you end up not getting a ticket but have travel booked are you not more likely to be wondering the bars of Brugge living up to the football fan sterotype?

Only other alternative seems to be booking on a coach leaving Wigan at 1am Thursday, going straight the game, then departing to arrive back in Wigan 8am Friday, that'll be fun!

#671 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,514 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

I see Sheffield United are the latest team to be taken over by a Saudi millionaire.

As people keep pointing out, in football its all about matters on the pitch that decide who win or lose and not affected by money.

#672 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Wales has put two goalkeepers on the bench for tonight's game !

:fool:

I can only assume that Boaz Myhill is going to chin one of Serbians early doors.

B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#673 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

Whilst I appreciate it'll never be a problem for me in any subsequent seasons, this watching your team in Europe lark is hard work!

Wigans initial allocation of 1500 tickets for next weeks match in Brugge sold out in 2 hours, a further 2000 tickets have now been allocated, but before you can buy one seemingly you need to provide the club with travel and accomodation details at the request of the police.

Seems a crazy way of doing things, if you end up not getting a ticket but have travel booked are you not more likely to be wondering the bars of Brugge living up to the football fan sterotype?

Only other alternative seems to be booking on a coach leaving Wigan at 1am Thursday, going straight the game, then departing to arrive back in Wigan 8am Friday, that'll be fun!

Try being a St Johnstone fan! Last season we drew Eskisehirspor from Turkey in the Europa League and a couple of hundred Saintees went to the away leg. They were treated with great respect and hospitality by the town and football club, which was reciprocated when their fans visited Perth for the 2nd leg. Many friendships were forged between fans, and the two clubs have cemented their new relationship by wearing each other's kit design as their away strip this season.

This season the Saints drew the (relatively) mighty Rosenborg, and again both sets of fans had a great time visiting each other's cities (even if the beer over there was expensive.

Having won the tie the next round was against FC Minsk of Belarus - the authorities wouldn't let anybody have visas. They wouldn't even let the club use the nearest airport - as it shut for the day at 2pm!

#674 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

Try being a St Johnstone fan! Last season we drew Eskisehirspor from Turkey in the Europa League and a couple of hundred Saintees went to the away leg. They were treated with great respect and hospitality by the town and football club, which was reciprocated when their fans visited Perth for the 2nd leg. Many friendships were forged between fans, and the two clubs have cemented their new relationship by wearing each other's kit design as their away strip this season.

This season the Saints drew the (relatively) mighty Rosenborg, and again both sets of fans had a great time visiting each other's cities (even if the beer over there was expensive.

Having won the tie the next round was against FC Minsk of Belarus - the authorities wouldn't let anybody have visas. They wouldn't even let the club use the nearest airport - as it shut for the day at 2pm!

Seems to compound the behaviour before its started, seems daft.

I work with a guy who's girl friend is from Belarus, they have all sorts of fun and games getting in and out.  We've been quite lucky with the draw, Belgium, Russia and Slovenia, although I think the 2500 mile round trip to Russia will put a few people off.

St Johnson fans seem to have it right, I just hope the minority of young idiots that pop up from time to time at Wigan don't ruin it for the rest of us, should, hopefully be a good atmosphere.

As an aside the other team from Wigan take on Bacup and Rossendale tonight, not sure how much of Rossendale is left in that merger given they play in Bacup, sad to see Rossendale go.

#675 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

Seems to compound the behaviour before its started, seems daft.

I work with a guy who's girl friend is from Belarus, they have all sorts of fun and games getting in and out.  We've been quite lucky with the draw, Belgium, Russia and Slovenia, although I think the 2500 mile round trip to Russia will put a few people off.

St Johnson fans seem to have it right, I just hope the minority of young idiots that pop up from time to time at Wigan don't ruin it for the rest of us, should, hopefully be a good atmosphere.

As an aside the other team from Wigan take on Bacup and Rossendale tonight, not sure how much of Rossendale is left in that merger given they play in Bacup, sad to see Rossendale go.

Have they merged? I didn't know about that, and it is a shame that United have gone. I hope, at least, that the merged club becomes stronger. I suppose it depends on how many fans are willing to transfer their allegiance.

#676 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Proper football started today - North Wilts Youth & Minor League and my lads team won 3-1 against their biggest rivals so one happy lad plus a happy dad! :-)

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 15 September 2013 - 02:39 PM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#677 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

When I saw this headline, I thought it was a rugby score, I was wrong, it was football..

http://www.hastingso...-22-0-1-5499897

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#678 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

When we first went to France for a GB match we went by coach from Wigan, at 5pm Overnight through France with a blocked chemical toilet, and arrived in Tolouse at about 3pm the following day.

The driver was not impressed at having to stop at every service station on the way down.

We stayed one night in a Hotel Ibis, and returned the following day, straight after the match in Carcassonne (I think, 1987).

A local coach firm (admitidly we are closer to Dover than most) runs trips to Brugge every Friday night, travelling on a night ferry, getting breakfast somewhere in Belgium, and returning home after a days shopping to arrive back in Hastings about 8am on Sunday.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#679 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

Paolo Di Canio has been sacked by Sunderland.

Well, he had thirteen games to get it right...

#680 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

Paolo Di Canio has been sacked by Sunderland.

Well, he had thirteen games to get it right...

Ordinarily I'd agree with the sentiment but he's taken a club that was underachieving but was pretty stable and turned that into a basket case.  Something he has a history of.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users