Football

• Please log in to reply
1149 replies to this topic

#681 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

Anyway, I'll be off to the FA Cup next weekend in what I think is the Second Qualifying Round.  The decidedly unwelcoming and unsupported (I love going there) Chalfont St Peter of the Calor Southern League Central Division host Lewes of the Ryman League Premier.

I'm going for a crowd of 87 and a 3-1 win for Lewes.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#682 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:33 AM

What odds for dithering Dave being out before Christmas

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 23 September 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#683 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

When we first went to France for a GB match we went by coach from Wigan, at 5pm Overnight through France with a blocked chemical toilet, and arrived in Tolouse at about 3pm the following day.

The driver was not impressed at having to stop at every service station on the way down.

We stayed one night in a Hotel Ibis, and returned the following day, straight after the match in Carcassonne (I think, 1987).

A local coach firm (admitidly we are closer to Dover than most) runs trips to Brugge every Friday night, travelling on a night ferry, getting breakfast somewhere in Belgium, and returning home after a days shopping to arrive back in Hastings about 8am on Sunday.

Aye to be fair its the 8 hours each way it took us from Wigan to Dover thats the killer, an 1hr 40 on the ferry and the quick hop from Calais to Bruge was all very civilised and easily in day trip territory.

Anyway, I'll be off to the FA Cup next weekend in what I think is the Second Qualifying Round.  The decidedly unwelcoming and unsupported (I love going there) Chalfont St Peter of the Calor Southern League Central Division host Lewes of the Ryman League Premier.

I'm going for a crowd of 87 and a 3-1 win for Lewes.

87?  That sounds optimisitc!

#684 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Aye to be fair its the 8 hours each way it took us from Wigan to Dover thats the killer, an 1hr 40 on the ferry and the quick hop from Calais to Bruge was all very civilised and easily in day trip territory.

87?  That sounds optimisitc!

Lewes will probably bring about half of that.  CSP got around 80 per game in the Spartan South Midlands and now they've been promoted they still get around 80 per game.  They got around 80 for their last Cup match against the Met Police.

- Severus, July 2012

#685 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

FA Cup? That's over for my local lot this year, no trips to Middlesborough in the 3rd round like last year, they got beat at home by Guernsey in the 1st QR
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#686 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

FA Cup? That's over for my local lot this year, no trips to Middlesborough in the 3rd round like last year, they got beat at home by Guernsey in the 1st QR

Guernsey are properly moneyed aren't they?  Moving through the ranks in quite a scary way.

- Severus, July 2012

#687 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

Paolo Di Canio has been sacked by Sunderland.

Well, he had thirteen games to get it right...

As a Swindon Town fan did I enjoy his time with us? Oh yes!

Would I want him back? Hell no!!!

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#688 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Paolo Di Canio has been sacked by Sunderland.

Well, he had thirteen games to get it right...

Looking at the history of football, there was far more patience towards managers. Today, it has become a joke!

#689 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Financially it doesn't make sense. Allow Di Canio to sign 14 players. Give him a short space of time to move tings forward then sack him. Clubs like Sunderland need to realise that going down isn't the be all and end all. Charlton under Curbishley went down, kept the faith and achieved top 10 consistently after getting promoted a second time. They get parachute payments too if they go down. Look at Wolves. Ridiculous.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#690 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

Financially it doesn't make sense. Allow Di Canio to sign 14 players. Give him a short space of time to move tings forward then sack him. Clubs like Sunderland need to realise that going down isn't the be all and end all. Charlton under Curbishley went down, kept the faith and achieved top 10 consistently after getting promoted a second time. They get parachute payments too if they go down. Look at Wolves. Ridiculous.

Sunderland employed just eight managers from 1888 to 1972, and then onwards to 2013 it came to 28.

#691 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,939 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

I think they sacked him because he was and is a complete and utter c##t!

see http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/24214706

#692 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

They knew what they were getting when they signed him. It's Di Canio FFS. Who's next then? Gazza, Joey Barton, Suarez.......

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#693 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

That must have come as a surprise for them, it's not as if he has history or anything.....

28m391z.jpg

#694 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

Sunderland employed just eight managers from 1888 to 1972, and then onwards to 2013 it came to 28.

It would be interesting to see a league table of which clubs have got through the most managers in the last 50 years. Soccer's not really my thing but I always get the impression that Newcastle and Sunderland seem to get through managers at a rate of knots. I would guess Ferguson must be the longest serving premiership manager in recent times.

28m391z.jpg

#695 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

An incredible goal, hoofball at its best.

"Red Bull Leipzig profit from attacking kickoff to score after 7 seconds"

http://touch.dailymo...ttgart-ii_sport

Edited by hoff, 24 September 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#696 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Complete and utter clot?

#697 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

It would be interesting to see a league table of which clubs have got through the most managers in the last 50 years. Soccer's not really my thing but I always get the impression that Newcastle and Sunderland seem to get through managers at a rate of knots. I would guess Ferguson must be the longest serving premiership manager in recent times.

Queens Park Rangers have gone through quite a few managers over recent years.

#698 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

West Ham have only had 14 managers, and the first one lasted for 30 years.  He did however commit suicide within months of his sacking due in part to rumours he was syphoning off funds from the club and the fact he was a massive alcoholic, but that was fine in the good old days, you'd probably not get away with it in these modern times.

#699 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

Brian Clough was Nottingham Forest's 8th manager.

Since he left in 1993, they have had 14!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#700 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

Guernsey are properly moneyed aren't they?  Moving through the ranks in quite a scary way.

See the Jersey & Guernsey Rugby Union Clubs also, then wonder how?

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users