Football

• Please log in to reply
1168 replies to this topic

#721 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

He does come across as a bit of a dinosaur on Radio Scotland's "Off The Ball" programme, advertised as "the most petty and ill-informed football programme on radio". On air, though, he is slapped down adequately by his co-presenter, Stuart Cosgrove.

Whatever humour he was trying to convey in the article, he just hasn't got the ability to get away with it. Total unacceptable.

Besides which, women's football in Scotland is at least giving us a little bit of success to cheer at the moment.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#722 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

He does come across as a bit of a dinosaur on Radio Scotland's "Off The Ball" programme, advertised as "the most petty and ill-informed football programme on radio". On air, though, he is slapped down adequately by his co-presenter, Stuart Cosgrove.

Whatever humour he was trying to convey in the article, he just hasn't got the ability to get away with it. Total unacceptable.

Besides which, women's football in Scotland is at least giving us a little bit of success to cheer at the moment.

Goodison Park once hosted a women's football match between St Helens' Ladies and the famous Dick Kerr's Ladies of Preston which attracted 54,000, with over 14,000 not able to get in. 

#723 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Goodison Park once hosted a women's football match between St Helens' Ladies and the famous Dick Kerr's Ladies of Preston which attracted 54,000, with over 14,000 not able to get in. 

And didn't it scare the football authorities?

#724 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,167 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

There was a separate women's FA for a long time.  I think that was because the FA wouldn't sanction women's matches.  Whether they had any moral objection or just couldn't be bothered I'm not sure.

Excellent results for the British women's teams in the Champions League yesterday, including Glasgow City taking a 2-2 draw in Belgium.

Big fan of Glasgow City.  Good to see some British clubs at least not be dependent on a men's set-up.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#725 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

Indeed, women were banned from playing on all the FA's affiliated grounds for over 50 years.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 10 October 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#726 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

There was a separate women's FA for a long time.  I think that was because the FA wouldn't sanction women's matches.  Whether they had any moral objection or just couldn't be bothered I'm not sure.

Excellent results for the British women's teams in the Champions League yesterday, including Glasgow City taking a 2-2 draw in Belgium.

Big fan of Glasgow City.  Good to see some British clubs at least not be dependent on a men's set-up.

The lame excuse was men considered women's football a health hazard for the ladies. Furthermore, the women's game was gaining in popularity, much to the annoyance of those charged with running the sport. 

Women's football first took off in the late 19th century, only to be ridiculed. With women shedding the apron strings to help in the war effort, as well as many men on active service, it briefly took off again. Dick Kerr's Ladies actually toured France and North America. The FA at the time were not amused and sent out a strong message to the football authorities in Canada and the US not to play matches against them. Canada didn't offer as much as a cordial welcome, although the US did play three matches against Dick Kerr's Ladies. There was a shock in store though as all the US players were men. The ladies did put up a good show, winning one match, drawing another while losing one. That was that though and women's football then declined somewhat. 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 10 October 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#727 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,081 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Is that girl who was on John Cravens Newsround still playing? 

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#728 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,167 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

Is that girl who was on John Cravens Newsround still playing? 

Gregory's Girl?

- Severus, July 2012

#729 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,081 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

Gregory's Girl?

No, some girl in the 70's who joined a lads team. Bless her, she was trying to play football. 

:ph34r:

#730 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,167 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

No, some girl in the 70's who joined a lads team. Bless her, she was trying to play football. 

:ph34r:

Still, there is never a bad time to watch this.

http://www.dailymoti...ials_shortfilms

- Severus, July 2012

#731 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

My lad's girlfriend's daughter is the only girl playing in an under-elevens for boys, and quite good. One guy on Saturday shouted out to his son "Yer playing like a girl". On pointing out that Courtney was playing well, he looked rather sheepish.  ;)

#732 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Always thought Football suited females more then males.

#733 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

Yes, City have been successful. I thought they might have been in trouble when you-know-who set up women's sides but they seem to have survived reasonably well.

#734 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,167 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

Yes, City have been successful. I thought they might have been in trouble when you-know-who set up women's sides but they seem to have survived reasonably well.

Aye.  Their biggest rivals - and it's relative - seems to be Hibs.

There must be some audience for soccer in Glasgow that doesn't want to be connected to the gruesome twosome.

- Severus, July 2012

#735 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

http://en.wikipedia....v_Poland_(1973)

40 years ago nearly, England needed to beat Poland to ensure qualification, just 3 days short of that historic date, we have the same opportunity to screw up, without Brian Clough calling the goalkeeper a clown.

Can we make it to RIO de JANEIRO?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#736 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,081 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

http://en.wikipedia....v_Poland_(1973)

40 years ago nearly, England needed to beat Poland to ensure qualification, just 3 days short of that historic date, we have the same opportunity to screw up, without Brian Clough calling the goalkeeper a clown.

Can we make it to RIO de JANEIRO?

I remember that game. Keeper Jan Tomaceski (sp?) played the proverbial blinder.

#737 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

Gillingham doing what football does best, wins them League two title, struggle this term then they sack Martin Allen. I pray Bradford have some sense and keep Parkinson for a long time.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#738 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,081 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:42 AM

Gillingham doing what football does best, wins them League two title, struggle this term then they sack Martin Allen. I pray Bradford have some sense and keep Parkinson for a long time.

I reckon it would will more likely that he left them.

#739 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,167 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

I reckon it would will more likely that he left them.

Surprised he hasn't already gone.  This season in League 1 must be helping his credentials a bit but time is surely running out before a Championship club comes knocking,

- Severus, July 2012

#740 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,081 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

Surprised he hasn't already gone. This season in League 1 must be helping his credentials a bit but time is surely running out before a Championship club comes knocking,

Yes exactly. Would will? :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users