Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Football

• Please log in to reply
1164 replies to this topic

#841 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:21 PM

AVB gets the boot from Spurs.

Seems strange, They aren't doing too badly and surely the club weren't expecting to win the Premiership this season?

'Arry 'Arry 'Arry

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#842 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

AVB gets the boot from Spurs.

Seems strange, They aren't doing too badly and surely the club weren't expecting to win the Premiership this season?

On the contrary, I think they really harboured ambitions of taking the crown this season - especially given the fact they've totally re-invested the colossal Bale transfer fee plus a 20 million or so extra. AVB is a bit of a fraud IMHO, and hugely lucky to find himself a candidate for the jobs. What's he ever done in the game apart from win the UEFA Cup with Porto in his first season? Whilst that's an achievement, it's not particularly a massive endorsement of his pedigree/quality. I can guarantee he'll walk into another high profile job though, regardless of his failings. Eventually clubs might realise that, despite the fact he speaks in riddles and is Portugese, he's not Jose Mourinho II.

Edited by TheTerminator, 16 December 2013 - 01:23 PM.

Posted Image

#843 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,155 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

By the way, what do you think about the 3-point system in Football?  (Win 3, Draw 1, Lost 0)

This system has been introduced from the 1994 World Cup finals.  (In the qualifiers, win was still 2 points.)

I am strongly opposed to this system, because this is illogical.

Think about this case:

A 2-0 B

A 0-2 B

C 1-1 D

C 1-1 D

A and B got 3 points; C and D got 2 points.  Do you think that this is logical?

Yes, I do.

And we had 3 points for a win in the 1980s in England. We invented it.

#844 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

Yes, I do.

Correction: Jimmy Hill invented it.

- Severus, July 2012

#845 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,155 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Correction: Jimmy Hill invented it.

Hill is like Ron Atkinson. Men who were surprisingly astute when young or middle aged but this somehow went badly awry in later life.

#846 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

Hill is like Ron Atkinson. Men who were surprisingly astute when young or middle aged but this somehow went badly awry in later life.

I believe he's very ill with dementia now.  He really did have a sharp brain and achieve a helluva lot.

- Severus, July 2012

#847 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

I believe he's very ill with dementia now.  He really did have a sharp brain and achieve a helluva lot.

Much maligned, but a genuine visionary.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#848 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

Much maligned, but a genuine visionary.

Indeed, every professional soccer player should have his photo on all their bank cards!

LUNEW.jpg

#849 sigesige00

sigesige00
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:48 AM

Yes, I do.

I do not think so.

The 3-point system means that the value of games are different.

The value of draw games is 2 points; while the value of non-draw games are 3 points.  This is extremely illogical.

If the number of draw games should be reduced and attacking play should be encouraged, that should be done in a logical way.

By the way, the 3-point system is adopted by also Hockey (not Ice Hockey).  I am, of course, opposed to the 3-point system in Hockey.

#850 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

I do not think so.
The value of draw games is 2 points; while the value of non-draw games are 3 points. This is extremely illogical.
If the number of draw games should be reduced and attacking play should be encouraged, that should be done in a logical way.

That must be the reason football is such a minor sport in the world.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 18 December 2013 - 06:31 AM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#851 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,155 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

I do not think so.

The value of draw games is 2 points; while the value of non-draw games are 3 points.  This is extremely illogical.

By the way, the 3-point system is adopted by also Hockey (not Ice Hockey).  I am, of course, opposed to the 3-point system in Hockey.

Football is not a subset of logic. Who cares whether it is logical or not? It just means better games. There is hardly a league anywhere in the world that hasn't adopted the Jimmy Hill 3 point for a win, 1 point for a draw. It works.

#852 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

I do not think so.

annoying person,

If it's good enough for the Premiership (Wendyball), then a modifiied version is good enough for the RUGBY LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP, I assume you follow Rugby League?

3 points for a win, 2 points for a draw, 1 point for a defeat less than 12 points.

Ice Hockey has a similar points system.

Do you know more about Field Hockey enough to provide us with the scoring system?

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#853 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

Having a wander down to the KC this lunchtime. A pal has lent me him and his daughter's Hull Tigers season passes so I'm taking the lad with me.

I'll let you know if I manage the full 90 mins without falling asleep.

Hull Targers 0 Man Utd 3 is my prediction.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#854 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,023 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

Having a wander down to the KC this lunchtime. A pal has lent me him and his daughter's Hull Tigers season passes so I'm taking the lad with me.

Hull Targers 0 Man Utd 3 is my prediction.

You've done it now! the "city till I die" brigade 'll be out to get you!

#855 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

You've done it now! the "city till I die" brigade 'll be out to get you!

Far be it for me to have a foot in the Allam's camp.

I just hope it's a case where neither side comes out with any credit.

It'd be interesting to see the not so good doctor walk away taking his money with him in one of his usual sulks.

Edited by Old Frightful, 26 December 2013 - 10:56 AM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#856 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

Pretty decent game so far actually
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#857 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Pretty decent game so far actually

Aye, not bad for a game. of soccer.

Tigers seemed unable to hold onto the ball. Individually, Man. U were far superior but City should have at least got a draw in the last couple or three mins.

A reasonable afternoon's entertainment.

#858 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Aye, not bad for a game. of soccer.

Tigers seemed unable to hold onto the ball. Individually, Man. U were far superior but City should have at least got a draw in the last couple or three mins.

A reasonable afternoon's entertainment.

Heard a couple of huge roars from the KC as the first two goals went in.

Nearly as loud as the roar of laughter that came over from the stadium when Man. Utd. took the lead.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#859 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

Heard a couple of huge roars from the KC as the first two goals went in.

Nearly as loud as the roar of laughter that came over from the stadium when Man. Utd. took the lead.

Was I that obvious?

#860 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

I'm no fan of Hull Tigers but that scoreline today has to be the greatest result I could have wished for.

Hull City 6-0 Fulham

Absolutely bloody brilliant. :sarcastic:   :biggrin:   :dancer:  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users