Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Football

• Please log in to reply
1122 replies to this topic

#1041 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,835 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

I can now see that this will actually replace pro soccer within 5 years.

Its a great sport and very complimentary to football in terms of developing skills, but to suggest it will "replace it" is just silly talk!

#1042 sigesige00

sigesige00
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

No I think that would be ridiculous, one player has to be nominated to be allowed to handle the ball.

In Football, there is no such necessity.

In Futsal, one player who can use hands is needed because of goal-throw, but this problem can easily be solved by allowing goal-kick like Football.

#1043 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,835 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

In Football, there is no such necessity.

In Futsal, one player who can use hands is needed because of goal-throw, but this problem can easily be solved by allowing goal-kick like Football.

So you switch fly and nobody can make a save?  Really?  You'll see an already high risk strategy that is very much boom or bust simply not used at all.

Out of interest do you watch much futsal?  Are you in the UK?  Who's your team?

#1044 sigesige00

sigesige00
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

So you switch fly and nobody can make a save?  Really?  You'll see an already high risk strategy that is very much boom or bust simply not used at all.

Out of interest do you watch much futsal?  Are you in the UK?  Who's your team?

Please understand what we are discussing.  We are not discussing "what tactic is better?", but "what rules are necessary?".

Power-play tactic is used when a side desperately needs goals--like score is 1-3 and remaining time is 5:00.  In such case, there is of course high risk of conceding goals.  (The same can be said about the power-play tactic in Ice Hockey etc.)

#1045 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,835 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

Please understand what we are discussing.  We are not discussing "what tactic is better?", but "what rules are necessary?".

Power-play tactic is used when a side desperately needs goals--like score is 1-3 and remaining time is 5:00.  In such case, there is of course high risk of conceding goals.  (The same can be said about the power-play tactic in Ice Hockey etc.)

I fully understand, I would suggest that the fly keeper works well in Futsal as is, to do away with it would mean adjusting to many rules and I think that would be detrimental to the sport as I tried to outline already so I'll not try again.

Away from getting bogged down in rule changes would love to understand why you think Futsal has the potential to grow at the rate your posts suggest and what your thoughts are on the UK game as a keen follower myself of the National Leagues. 

I'm off to Manchester Ladies this afternoon be interesting to see how that contrasts to the male version of the sport.

#1046 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

When we used to play in the street or any grass that was spare, we rarely had full teams or actually even sides so we used 'rules' like 'goalie when' ( keeper could join in with general play but was nominated goalie) and 'goalie panic' (nearest person could act as goalie anytime)
I can now see that this will actually replace pro soccer within 5 years.

Goalie when. Classic. How shortsighted are FIFA for not having this in the rules. Also, 11 player football (before it disappears) needs to be played on tarmac with a tennis ball.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#1047 sigesige00

sigesige00
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

I'm off to Manchester Ladies this afternoon be interesting to see how that contrasts to the male version of the sport.

I am a fan of Glasgow City Ladies, but they are amateur!  Women's sports are not strong in Scotland.

#1048 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:42 AM

I think jumpers should be used as goalposts too. Imagine the sponsorship opportunities for knitwear manufacturers - the Benetton goalposts, John Smedley's, etc

Agreed. Plus attack and defence, or three and in. You could change sponsorship for the latter during the game.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#1049 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

Agreed. Plus attack and defence, or three and in. You could change sponsorship for the latter during the game.

I've had another thought that'd make it even more 'authentic' - you have to play in your school shoes!

LUNEW.jpg

#1050 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

I've had another thought that'd make it even more 'authentic' - you have to play in your school shoes!

I just had shoes, none of this school shoes nonsense. ;)  Any footwear, including pumps.

Plus long keks only allowed with at least one oil in em.

Edited by Grollo, 04 May 2014 - 07:00 AM.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#1051 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

Its a great sport and very complimentary to football in terms of developing skills, but to suggest it will "replace it" is just silly talk!

What's the matter with you?

Have you no foresight?

The only thing to hinder the progress of this versiin of football is if it's in the rules that one of the players actually owns the ball.

I've had experience in the past where, if things weren't going quite the way he wanted, the owner simply went home with the ball.

This may stand in the way of global domination.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#1052 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

I've had experience in the past where, if things weren't going quite the way he wanted, the owner simply went home with the ball.

World Soccer authorities have been trying to get the USA more involved in the game for decades. This rule alone would see it sweep the nation replacing all others as America's No1

LUNEW.jpg

#1053 sigesige00

sigesige00
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

World Soccer authorities have been trying to get the USA more involved in the game for decades. This rule alone would see it sweep the nation replacing all others as America's No1

To become more popular in North America, Soccer must increase the number of goals and decrease the number of draws drastically.

#1054 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Isn't this the Australian approach to international Rugby League? ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#1055 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

Dear Lord, I hadn't realised the quality of European cup football next season would plummet so low...

http://www.hulldaily...tail/story.html

At least it may provide a few laughs on telly and perhaps, unfortunately, a little concern for the North Sea branch of P&O Ferries.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#1056 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,835 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:37 PM

Dear Lord, I hadn't realised the quality of European cup football next season would plummet so low...

http://www.hulldaily...tail/story.html

At least it may provide a few laughs on telly and perhaps, unfortunately, a little concern for the North Sea branch of P&O Ferries.

Ah, good luck to 'em, the first trip away were ever it maybe will be a cracker, Wigan dropped unlucky this season with the Russian trip being thrown in the mix, but I hear the 12 or so fans that made the 2,500 mile trip enjoyed themselves! 

Be interesting to see how they fair, Wigan wouldn't sell you tickets till you could prove you had travel and accommodation in place, which I'm sure is standard practice but is very much chicken and egg when your not sure of getting a ticket.  For Slovenia the only way we could ensure getting a ticket was the club trip, but at £450 quid each for two nights we decided to keep hold of our 900 quid and spend it on something else! 

Bruge was the best away trip I've ever been on mind...............

#1057 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

Ah, good luck to 'em, the first trip away were ever it maybe will be a cracker, Wigan dropped unlucky this season with the Russian trip being thrown in the mix, but I hear the 12 or so fans that made the 2,500 mile trip enjoyed themselves! 

Be interesting to see how they fair, Wigan wouldn't sell you tickets till you could prove you had travel and accommodation in place, which I'm sure is standard practice but is very much chicken and egg when your not sure of getting a ticket.  For Slovenia the only way we could ensure getting a ticket was the club trip, but at £450 quid each for two nights we decided to keep hold of our 900 quid and spend it on something else! 

Bruge was the best away trip I've ever been on mind...............

Enjoy it while you can. 11 player football will soon be gone. Illogical rules.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#1058 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

FA proposes a League Three - made up initially of B teams of Premier League sides - to sit between League Two and the Conference.

Apparently B teams in league systems is the sole reason why Spain are so good.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#1059 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

A very civilised goal celebration.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#1060 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

I really hope Bradford City got a fair share of airtime on Sky Sports News today.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users