Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Football

• Please log in to reply
1165 replies to this topic

#161 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,003 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

It's probably more to do with being a lot lower down the leagues now.

Not sure about that really. The PL era didn't just happen over a few weeks, it happened over several years giving a euphoric but not totally unexpected feeling. This has come from nowhere. People have stopped saying they come from 'near Leeds'. ...at least for now ;)
Its great!!

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#162 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Not sure about that really. The PL era didn't just happen over a few weeks, it happened over several years giving a euphoric but not totally unexpected feeling. This has come from nowhere. People have stopped saying they come from 'near Leeds'. ...at least for now ;)
Its great!!

Yeah, that's what I meant. Naymind.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#163 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

There's an awful lot wrong with soccer but it is the world's community game.

Lol!

A number of community activists from the Leeds United community have just had their activities acknowledged with a reward of time at Her Majesties pleasure.

LUNEW.jpg

#164 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,003 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Lol!

A number of community activists from the Leeds United community have just had their activities acknowledged with a reward of time at Her Majesties pleasure.

Has no RL follower ever done wrong? I'm pretty certain some RL fans have done a stretch in chokey, including some of the players. You can't just pick the bad bits out. If RL was as big as soccer, there would be many idiots following it too.

What do you think about the way that the game has united the community in Bradford in a way that decades of political interference has never managed?

Edited by Johnoco, 14 February 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#165 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

If Zenit St Petersburg v Liverpool is on telly, then it's gonna get really ugly.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#166 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,003 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

If Zenit St Petersburg v Liverpool is on telly, then it's gonna get really ugly.

I think Peter Beardsley doesn't play any more.

#167 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Zenit fans were on BBC News this morning basically saying without any hesitation or guilt that their fans do not want black players in the side, they will not have them in their team, in fact it's "tradition" according to them. If I were Rogers I'd keep certain players out, get through the game and then get the hell out of there. But I know that isn't the right thing to do.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#168 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,142 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Lol!

Much as I'd like to believe that all Leeds United fans are thus implicated as being criminal #### (that is what you're implying presumably?) I'm afraid I know too many of them who don't fit your rancid generalising picture.

They also seem to be the first soccer team for a lot of rugby league fans. Want to unite Cas and Fev fans? Get them talking about Leeds United.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#169 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,142 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Zenit fans were on BBC News this morning basically saying without any hesitation or guilt that their fans do not want black players in the side, they will not have them in their team, in fact it's "tradition" according to them. If I were Rogers I'd keep certain players out, get through the game and then get the hell out of there. But I know that isn't the right thing to do.

They've produced a manifesto that basically says, "No niggers, no homos."

Coincidentally, Beitar Jerusalem are having the same debate about whether Muslims are welcome in their 'Jewish' team. They have decided that they are.

Soccer is rotten from top to bottom you see.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#170 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

What about Brian Tinnion?

#171 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,003 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

That's because they are racists. That's not the fault of soccer.

#172 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

True. But it's what's bringing them together and pushing them into the headlines today. I wasn't arguing either way, I'm just saying these c"nts are gonna be out in force at the game today.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#173 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,003 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

True. But it's what's bringing them together and pushing them into the headlines today. I wasn't arguing either way, I'm just saying these c"nts are gonna be out in force at the game today.

Yes they are but if it wasn't football it would be something else they were gathering for.
RL is sadly not immune from racist fans, not widespread by any means but they exist.

#174 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Yes they are but if it wasn't football it would be something else they were gathering for.

Community singing?

LUNEW.jpg

#175 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Community singing?

Hunting the white Rhino? ;)

#176 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

spoiler -> Oldham earn a last minute replay against Everton <- spoiler

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#177 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

spoiler -> Swansea stick four past Bradford City<- spoiler

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#178 Billypop

Billypop
  • Coach
  • 605 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

Soccer is one of the last bastions of homophobia. Even worse, they even class people as beneath them (gay, obviously) if they engage in obviously gay activities like reading books. Have you seen the news today?

#179 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

Soccer is one of the last bastions of homophobia. Even worse, they even class people as beneath them (gay, obviously) if they engage in obviously gay activities like reading books. Have you seen the news today?

Err, nope. Not yet, some waffle on sky sports news about the back pages, Arsenal, Chelsea, boo hoo. What's gone on?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#180 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,917 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

well these people are attracted to it and feel at home in it and that goes back many years, even from boardroom level and beyond. Nothing was ever done about it and now its part of soccer culture, including the kind of hate filled behaviour that spawns the runway of death song and many other vile expressions
These people are not a majority, but they are an ingrained and vociferous minority, there transcend age and class.

Rugby League has its bigots, but has always been open to all, and has a tradition of not tolerating this kind of behaviour.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users