TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Sick of Faz, Edwards & Union

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Kol

Kol
  • Coach
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Am I seriously the only one that cringes when I see Faz and Edwards on the TV lovin Union? I hate their game and (I know this sounds bad) but can't stand them for going over the wall. They could have stayed in League and given something back. I admire Harris, Rads, Long, Cunningham, Deacon and co that are still helping the game and developing themselves.

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

If there isn't the money, why would they stay?

It's a problem in our game that there aren't enough opportunities for those with big ambitions to stay in the sport after retirement.
Posted Image

#3 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Am I seriously the only one that cringes when I see Faz and Edwards on the TV lovin Union? I hate their game and (I know this sounds bad) but can't stand them for going over the wall. They could have stayed in League and given something back. I admire Harris, Rads, Long, Cunningham, Deacon and co that are still helping the game and developing themselves.

Hasn't Edwards recently paid for a Rugby League Coaching Scholarship?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

I dont understand the 'give something back' point. Nobody owes the game anything.

#5 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

I dont understand the 'give something back' point. Nobody owes the game anything.

Its a bit like if you work for The Ford Motor Company and then you get a job at Vauxhall Motors your expected to still turn up at Fords and work for free.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#6 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

i blame the clubs, wigan could have kept faz and edwards should never have been pushed out in the first place.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Its a bit like if you work for The Ford Motor Company and then you get a job at Vauxhall Motors your expected to still turn up at Fords and work for free.

good point well put!

#8 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

I don't think there are the numbers of jobs available in league to support past players in their coaching careers either. There's only a few coaching jobs per club x say 30-odd clubs with a professional element, most of those being of very limited resource. Union has 4 "home" nations, each with as many pro clubs as league if not more, and increasingly an overlap with France, and the developed international set up on top. Oh, and loads more money.

#9 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Think it's good, people will always remember where it all started...League!!

So what if their now involved in union, our game offers them what??

#10 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

I would just like to ask them if they believe what they are saying when they appear to be promoting union "rugby"?but they are making a good living out of their adopted code so ive nowt against them really
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

I don't have a problem with or blame the likes of Farrell and Edwards "going over the wall", as much as I love rugby league and think the game on the pitch is a far superior and a better product than union, rugby union is light years ahead of league on the international stage and it would be foolish not too admit this. Although it is a worry that we can't keep hold of the recent legends of our game like Farrell, Edwards and Jason Robinson, also how is the greatest player I've ever seen and the reason why I love this game so much ellery Hanley not involved in our game in some capacity?

#12 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Farrell is on the England coaching staff - each of their 4 Autumn internationals attracted full houses of around 80000 spectators. There are many more England internationals to come...

At the end of the season he'll be on the union Lions' coaching staff on their tour to Australia where each Test match will be sold out - did he ever play in front of a sell-out crowd in Australia for the visit of GB in rugby league? - and where the squad will be followed by tens of thousands supporters from these Isles.

Before all of this, his Saracens team - a club that not a million years ago was playing on a council park! - was involved in the odd Twickenham and Wembley bash for a regular season clash in which the attendance rivalled what we see for the Grand Final and Challenge Cup final.

I resent the fact that these great rugby league players received so little acclamation from a press in thrall to rugby union and that some of the greatest rugby league players of all time have retired from the game with fewer words written about them than many, many mediocre rugby union players (why was Shaun Edwards never offered a weekly column in the Guardian during his stellar rugby league career?) but - with the best will in the world - it would not be easy to present a case to the likes of Farrell, Edwards et al re returning to rugby league... even were they to be offered similar amounts of cash.

It really isn't all about the money.

#13 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 667 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Who can blame anybody from earning a living in Rugby union at the moment? The profile given to the sport compared to Rugby League is staggering. If blame is to be apportioned I think we need to look more towards the RFL than individual players for the lack of opportunities and growth of the game.

One thing that does grate on me though is the way that the Rugby Union media seems to expunge the RL career from the CV of players who have gone to Union.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#14 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

The problem is with our game not Farrell, Edwards, Ford, Robinson, Ashton.

We were leading the way at the end of the 90's. Now recent attendance saw 4 RU League games draw 12000+. I feel we have to really get our act together in so many ways.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#15 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Mike Ford is on record as saying he wants to learn as much as he can and get the experience and then bring it back to super league.

#16 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,601 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

I don't blame anyone for taking what's on offer. Good luck to them. Union bores me rigid and I would never have anything to do with it, but that's me.

Still, it is a shame. The likes of Farrell and Edwards (and others. And some of those players too) would have a lot to offer our sport if they were still here.

#17 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

they must have had offers from League clubs, failure would have meant Unions door being well shut to them.
They are not slow at coming back picking the brains of various coaches in our game, pleased Betts came back,always thought he had a raw deal in the first place at Wigan.

#18 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

i blame the clubs, wigan could have kept faz and edwards should never have been pushed out in the first place.

Edwards was never pushed out, he moved South to be nearer his child and found employment down there. from what I can gather neither Faz or Edwards talk our game down and like many others would have liked them to stop within.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#19 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

there is still time for the union bubble to burst a lot of clubs are struggling, 12000 attendances won't support the massive squads and sky high wages they are paying out.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#20 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

harlequins played wasps in front of 75,000 people in a league game at twickenham............just about what we get for the grand final. the simple reason why union is higher profile than league is because of the administrators of the game being able to sell the product to multi-national sponsors, and we have ralph rimmer and nigel woods............................................i rest my case
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users