RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NRL AND YOUTUBE

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

i had a good few videos on my youtube channel the usual stuff a few classic brawls some fantastic try's some very old stuff, all for my own enjoyment.
guess what? the NRL spoil sports have had the whole thing removed for the usual reason copywrite infringement.
i find it absolutely amazing that they wouldn't want the publicity fair enough with the brawls but why wouldn't you want fans to see great moments.

I look around
I search the skies
I shade my eyes
So nearly blind
And I see signs of half remembered days
I hear bells that chime in strange familiar ways
I recognise...
The hope you kindle in your eyes

#2 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Copyright laws are there for a reason
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#3 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

The NRL (and RFL) should be doing these packages themselves (big hits, best tries, etc) and letting them go viral, let them get passed/linked around.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#4 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,667 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

If you get bored enough to stray over to RLFans (cough, weeze!) you actually get shot for even mentioning "that video channel" by name for some reason. Don't know if they've had a run in with their lawyers or summat.

Hull-FC-V10-e1380711301940.jpg         HULL NOT VERY PROUD

"You're not City anymore!"

(The chant of opposition fans to Hull Tigers' supporters this season)

#5 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Copyright laws are there for a reason

yeah but a few grainy old videos aint gonna bankrupt them are they.

I look around
I search the skies
I shade my eyes
So nearly blind
I recognise...

#6 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

NRL are clueless and the copyright laws are just way over the top. NRL.com and Testra will have “exclusive” rights to post-match media conferences. Does that now mean that any other Journo like Steve Mascord cant ask questions or is not allowed to record the after match interviews? Steve recently gave an account of the problems that he as one of the games best journos has been experiencing. I am lucky to know Steve and I know other on here know him and he is a top notch Journo especially regarding RL around the world and Rock music.

Last year, when North Queensland coach Neil Henry erupted about refereeing decisions in the preliminary semi-final loss to Manly, Telstra lodged a copyright complaint about my press conference video on YouTube (WhiteLineFeverTV, since you asked)
There were almost 200 other press conference videos on my channel they had no concern over. I can only deduce their concern was that 4000 people had watched this one.
I lodged a counter claim – stating I shot the video myself and was an accreditted journalist – and the video was restored more than a week later when the drama had died down.
A press conference is an open forum for all media – although under the NRL’s rather generous television contracts, only rights-holders can broadcast live from inside a venue.
That said, I just hope the NRL hasn’t sold Telstra something that isn’t its to sell

I am not sure the NRL is doing itself any favours with how it has reached some of its deals. The game and Comp should be out their promoting itself on Youtube. I can understand Australia being blocked for live games and extended highlights but why block NRL highlights of a 2 minute round up of games from 4 or 5 days ago and why ban clips from 2010 or 2011 worldwide showing the best tries, hits etc especially when they are not live? Why block people videoing a Media Interview? How does the NRL intend to promote and market itself to new fans both in and outside of Australia with such backward thinking? The ARLC have made a right mess with things and many fans are unhappy that Channel 9 kept the main deal. Money is not everything and sometimes the money offered by say Telstra for "Exclusive" rightts etc is going way too far with things.

#7 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

the thing is youtube don't bother themselves with whats put on, they only bother when someone complains so do they (THE NRL) actually pay somebody to scan youtube looking for dodgy old videos.
if they do it's a very sad day for RL.

Edited by my missus, 27 December 2012 - 10:31 PM.

I look around
I search the skies
I shade my eyes
So nearly blind
I recognise...

#8 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Think its more Telstra Bigpond rather than Youtube.Youtube only really respond when somebody complains and if there is a legal reason or a moral reason they will then take down the video or clip. I cant believe they took down clips people put on showing the 2 minutes highlights of games that happened 4 or 5 days ago. I can understand live games or extended highlights. But getting youtube to take down people from putting such things up and stopping recorded media interviews is too far for me. The Telstra deal was good financially for the NRL but it is not good for us trying to show highlights of games to new people outside of Australia. SL for example do a good job and SLTV is great as it works outside the UK as well which is not the case with BBC videos often.

But its not just Rugby League clips that are affected by such things on Youtube. In Germany for example its often difficult to watch a highlights video which has certain music on it. GEMA and Youtube since 2005 have a massive battle and as such certain videos or clips that can be seen in the UK, Australia, USA, France etc cant be seen in Germany. http://en.wikipedia....deos_in_Germany Even some SLTV videos people in Germany cant watch because of the problems between GEMA and Youtube!

#9 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

if you happen to have facebook you could do worse than look at a group called

rugby league on dvd
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#10 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,667 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

yeah but a few grainy old videos aint gonna bankrupt them are they.

Instead of doing a search for "Grainy old NRL videos", I did a search for "Grainy old NRL stars", in the hope it might bypass the filter.

Unfortunately, I got the highlights of Hull KR's last few seasons.

Hull-FC-V10-e1380711301940.jpg         HULL NOT VERY PROUD

"You're not City anymore!"

(The chant of opposition fans to Hull Tigers' supporters this season)

#11 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

Well hopefully with the new deal just done things may change.

If anyone really needs to pull their finger out in regards to online viewing, it's the RFL, hopeless is the word I'd use.

If RU can show club games with 50 people at an old ground that looks 200 years old from Sydney, the RFL could set up a decent streaming site and onsell the games to those who wish to watch. I'd pay a decent fee if they would offer all the televised games they control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users