TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Any news on Salford ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

#1 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Has anyone heard any news tru or otherwise re the current situation at salford ?

#2 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

Here is the latest from M.E.N - I know it is a bit patchy what to believe with them.

http://menmedia.co.u...risis-continues

In summary;

Sean Long approached by Bradford regarding coaching (he is registered as a player for us too)

Winding up hearing could be adjourned

Mobile phone bills not paid (bank account is frozen)##

More ex players saying how bad it is

Martin Gleeson still training with the squad

Nothing good for us there really - losing Longy would be awful for us as he is a great boost to our club. Can't blame him and others for wanting out though

#3 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

that's nice of Bradford

"rugby league family"
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#4 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

its not bradford's fault

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#5 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

that's nice of Bradford

"rugby league family"

It seems they have short memories. I seem to recall a gentleman's agreement amongst SL clubs that prevented them being asset stripped. It also seems that Salford are effectively being punished for not having been dragged into administration yet.

#6 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 916 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

It seems they have short memories. I seem to recall a gentleman's agreement amongst SL clubs that prevented them being asset stripped. It also seems that Salford are effectively being punished for not having been dragged into administration yet.

I also seem to remember most of bradfords player having plan B's lined up with other clubs in event that we didn't get a buyer. So what if we've spoken to long and given him an option. If Salford survive he's already said he wants to stay so its a bit of a non story. All salfords players and staff will be talking to clubs behind the scenes and checking out their options, they'd be stupid not to.

#7 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Sean Long approached by Bradford regarding coaching (he is registered as a player for us too)

Losing Longy would be awful for us as he is a great boost to our club. Can't blame him and others for wanting out though

It was clear to see last season the immediate impact Long had on Salford, and it would be great to see him continue his work with the Reds. However given the uncertainty about the future of the club and the need to pay the mortgage, it is no surprise he is talking with other clubs. Wherever he ends up the most important thing for me is that he stays in the sport (as opposed to making a move to RU coaching which is something he was talking about recently in the RU weekly 'Rugby Times' when he said how much he would be interested in following Edwards and Farrell).

#8 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

The article said several players are trying to get "plan B" sorted out too. They really can't be blamed for being proactive - its our hobby, but their job.

It is devastating to see our club in such a state, but as long as other clubs play by the rules and approach players via the right chanels, we can have no argument with this. It should be remembered that Long is registered as a player with us, not just a coach.

I have the feeling that thr RFL must have told the club that if we go into admin we will be out of not only SL, but not allowed to play championship 1 either next year. We are just lumbering slowly into extinction at this rate.

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,705 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

I have the feeling that thr RFL must have told the club that if we go into admin we will be out of not only SL, but not allowed to play championship 1 either next year. We are just lumbering slowly into extinction at this rate.

I doubt they have said it, it will be enough for them to say nothing. There's nothing they can physically do apparently even if they wanted to I suspect their plan B will be what to do if Salford fail. Do Salford themselves have a plan "B" like share another ground to stay in the CC at least or will Mr. Wilkinson walk away from that too? The BIG question for me is exactly why don't Messrs Wilkinson and Clague want to go on?? Any fans ever asked them that??

#10 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

Why do you think that? I cant see that being the case, if they went into administration and found a wealthy backer, I cant see the RFL turning them away from SL.

Its only fair the players look at other options, if my company were struggling and there was a chance id lose my job then id be looking at what else was available.

#11 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

I'd like to suggest anyone moaning about a super league club not having a brand spanking stadium, should look at what's happened to Salford since they got theirs. The pressure franchising has put on this one issue is intolerable. If they are safe and secure that's all that should matter. Not that they have x amount of seats.

#12 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,705 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

I'd like to suggest anyone moaning about a super league club not having a brand spanking stadium, should look at what's happened to Salford since they got theirs. The pressure franchising has put on this one issue is intolerable. If they are safe and secure that's all that should matter. Not that they have x amount of seats.

Point taken but didn't the 5192 attendances at Barton ease the pressure over the 4278 at The Willows?

#13 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

I doubt they have said it, it will be enough for them to say nothing. There's nothing they can physically do apparently even if they wanted to I suspect their plan B will be what to do if Salford fail. Do Salford themselves have a plan "B" like share another ground to stay in the CC at least or will Mr. Wilkinson walk away from that too? The BIG question for me is exactly why don't Messrs Wilkinson and Clague want to go on?? Any fans ever asked them that??

Not sure about Clague , but Wilky has said that he is 71 and wants to retire + plus his other businesses are unable to support the rugby team financially now.

#14 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 916 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Point taken but didn't the 5192 attendances at Barton ease the pressure over the 4278 at The Willows?

Probably not as Iirc when they moved to Barton they lost some of the other revenue streams that they got at the willows.

#15 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

that's nice of Bradford

"rugby league family"

I, for one am on record as saying during the Bulls problems, that whilst I didn't want to lose more than necessary, IF I'd been a Bulls, player and my agent wasn't doing his best to fix me up, in case of a worst case scenario, I'd bloody well want to know why.

Sad as it is for the Reds, I'm sorry but the same applies, at the end of the day most of them have families to keep and at a base level that is always going to be priority no. one.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#16 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,705 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Probably not as Iirc when they moved to Barton they lost some of the other revenue streams that they got at the willows.

I take his point entirely then, thanks...

#17 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

I, for one am on record as saying during the Bulls problems, that whilst I didn't want to lose more than necessary, IF I'd been a Bulls, player and my agent wasn't doing his best to fix me up, in case of a worst case scenario, I'd bloody well want to know why.

Sad as it is for the Reds, I'm sorry but the same applies, at the end of the day most of them have families to keep and at a base level that is always going to be priority no. one.

I agree with all of that but the post says Bradford approached Long not the other way round. That I find a little difficult to take after what happened at Bradford.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

The article said several players are trying to get "plan B" sorted out too. They really can't be blamed for being proactive - its our hobby, but their job.

It is devastating to see our club in such a state, but as long as other clubs play by the rules and approach players via the right chanels, we can have no argument with this. It should be remembered that Long is registered as a player with us, not just a coach.

heard that godwins agent has been in contact with widnes, i hope not as it will mean that salford are going............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#19 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

I have the feeling that thr RFL must have told the club that if we go into admin we will be out of not only SL, but not allowed to play championship 1 either next year.

I wouldn't have thought so, not with Northampton pulling out of CC1 and Cov not replacing them until 2014
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#20 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Can't believe how badly the move to the new stadium has been, feels like they have somehow come second in a one horse race. Salford should have been far more realistic and far far more professional in handling the move - rather than on hoping the move would generate income and new fans. Should have aimed to fill it with season ticket holder from the word go.

Maybe now real thoughts will be given to investing and genuinely re generating RL in the wider Manchester area. The prospect of RL without Swinton AND Salford is a reality that must not be allowed to occur,, it's our back yard. While they're at it........

SL needs to be 12 clubs, promoted (subject to minimums) club get first year exemption, increase funding to camp 1 clubs (narrow the gap between div 1 and SL), give back the challenge cup it's status, bring back Lions, tours - both ways, ashes series every two years, home nations to compete mid season, winner plays England, SL to have a paying sponsor (shock), get more money out of sky (they get the greatest of products dirt cheap - negotiate, its a top sport they get, it's in their interests to pay a tad more), restrict overseas players to 3, start the season on boxing day, get clubs to budget properly and plan how shortfalls willbe made up (losses are ok if fairy god mother will pay the bills), have a ROLLING four year international calander, set a fund up for people to leave legacies to, for the future benefit and protection of our sport (interest only to be spent - get it off to a flying start by getting £1m off 100 wealthy RL fans - not actually as difficult as itnsounds....), get the Aussies to look outside their own back yard (tough one but we can but try) !!

Try harder, regroup and reinvent - its what we do !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users