Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Any news on Salford ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

#21 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

I agree with all of that but the post says Bradford approached Long not the other way round. That I find a little difficult to take after what happened at Bradford.

And approaching is what is wrong......where has the family ethics gone ?? No respect or dignity towards Salford.

Happy new year big lad.

Regards

Paul

#22 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

and warrington didn't sweeten up leigh to sign chris hill? funny how the dual reg's have dried up!!!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#23 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

And approaching is what is wrong......where has the family ethics gone ?? No respect or dignity towards Salford.

Happy new year big lad.

Regards

Paul

you are joking, do you honestly believe at some fairy land time in the past clubs never tapped players, or made approaches when they had a whiff of a club being in trouble.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#24 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Latest from our Fans trust - we have raised £23000 amongst ourselves so far.

Stefan Ratchford has offered his SL final shirt for auction (nice one SR) and our players are helping with some other ideas.

We are a small club compared with others and rather overshadowed by football. But we have decided to go down fighting.

The trust said;

"For anyone wishing to donate a pledge to the Save Our Salford fund details are "Salford City Reds Foundation Appeal"
c/o, 51, Cheetham Rd , Swinton, M274UQ

Any amount will be greatly appreciated & a massive thanks to everyone who gets involved."

I hope you don't mind me putting this up here - desperate times = desperate measures ;)

The trust (and I for what it is worth) would like to thank the Bradford and Workington fans who i believe donated without being asked yet! I think they know the score.

#25 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

Cheetham Rd , Swinton, M274UQ

Memories. I used to live just two streets from there 1946 to 1967!

#26 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,330 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

Latest from our Fans trust - we have raised £23000 amongst ourselves so far.

"For anyone wishing to donate a pledge to the Save Our Salford fund details are "Salford City Reds Foundation Appeal"
c/o, 51, Cheetham Rd , Swinton, M274UQ

Why won't Mr. Wilkinson and Mr. Clague put up the money for the club to start the season Mr. Hound?

#27 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

i'd keep hold of that £23,000 and anymore monies raised.....and use it to start a "fan-owned" salford team after the current team goes pop

Edited by roughyedspud, 29 December 2012 - 08:24 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#28 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 611 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

I can only assume the RFL are paying the players wages as they would all be free agents by now and getting signed by other clubs.

#29 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

i'd keep hold of that £23,000 and anymore monies raised.....and use it to start a "fan-owned" salford team after the current team goes pop

Me too. Particularly as the other £577k, new 'investment' and direct input from the RFL are unlikely to be forthcoming

#30 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I can only assume the RFL are paying the players wages as they would all be free agents by now and getting signed by other clubs.

No, not directly. I beleive, they were paid using the money from selling Joel Moon & Daniel Holdsworth. The club had the tansfer fee paid to the RFL, so they could pay them out of their bank as ours is frozen!

#31 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

I agree - I think that is the plan.

#32 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

Why won't Mr. Wilkinson and Mr. Clague put up the money for the club to start the season Mr. Hound?

I am not sure about Clague, but Wilky has no money problems at his other businesses, so he said at the fans meeting. I guess they have taken enough losses?

#33 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

I am not sure about Clague, but Wilky has no money problems at his other businesses, so he said at the fans meeting. I guess they have taken enough losses?

if he has no money problems in his other businesses why the hell should other people bail him out of this failed one?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#34 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

if he has no money problems in his other businesses why the hell should other people bail him out of this failed one?

I dunno - just what was said at the meeting. To be honest all this money ###### is doing my head in - I just want to watch my team play rugby. I don't care about rich men's problems and they way it is going I would rather see our club run & financed by fans, playing in CC1 - than staggering along in SL, waiting to go bust or reliant on the finances of 1 person.

#35 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,330 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

I can understand why fans would not ask a question that basically says "why don't you spend more of your money on us", but this beating around the bush doesn’t really answer some very important questions.

One is at this point in time with the Barton ground agreement and a 5,200 fan base how much a year are the club short of being a competitive club that can attract fans and quality players. Neil Hudgell was clear at HKR that sum was £500,000 on a fanbase of 7,800 for Rovers. A fag packet calculation says Salford are £600,000 short a season being competitive

So to me the answer seems to be that Mr. Wilkinson & his partner are capable of £600K a year, but as the fans haven’t come to Barton in enough numbers he’s not going to do that forever more. whether he knows anything about the likely make up of SL 2015 and that’s colouring his judgement who knows?

As for going forward the other key question is answered, Salford can’t play at Barton if they are not in Superleague. If that’s the case where do they play and if at the end of the day Salford will have to do a Swinton then surely the fans money should be for that and not propping anything up that’s destined to fall down

#36 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

I agree with all of that but the post says Bradford approached Long not the other way round. That I find a little difficult to take after what happened at Bradford.

The post says? Well I've heard some stuff KT, stuff like, it says it in the bible, it was in the Times, or maybe it was on the BBC, being used to claim veracity but "it was in a post on a message board " seems to be clutching at straws and a tad naive, if you don't mind me saying so.

That said, if it turns out ot be true I'd be both very surprised and disappointed.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#37 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

what young fages future any superleague teams keen on him, or will he head back to france with catalans?

#38 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 781 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

they could always play at whitebank home to their partner club
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#39 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,994 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

The post says? Well I've heard some stuff KT, stuff like, it says it in the bible, it was in the Times, or maybe it was on the BBC, being used to claim veracity but "it was in a post on a message board " seems to be clutching at straws and a tad naive, if you don't mind me saying so.

That said, if it turns out ot be true I'd be both very surprised and disappointed.

Very fair point - just going on what I read but take your point entirely
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#40 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

you are joking, do you honestly believe at some fairy land time in the past clubs never tapped players, or made approaches when they had a whiff of a club being in trouble.

Of course I'm fully aware of this

Harris and scully were massive losses to the club.

I'd just wish bulls would show some respect to Salford and see at happens......that's my point...