Any news on Salford ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

#61 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,292 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

You have good but rare attitude - most of us just couldn't do it - we are too selfish. Be honest though and say how many Wigan fans would agree to a merger with Saints or Wire.

I have no idea what the answer to your question is, I haven't asked them all.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#62 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

I have no idea what the answer to your question is, I haven't asked them all.

It's the same answer for any club when they get asked to merge with a rival a big fat no chance.

Edited by thundergaz, 29 December 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#63 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,292 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

It's the same answer for any club when they get asked to merge with a rival a bit fat no chance.

Oh you've asked them all, care to publish the results of your research?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#64 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

Oh you've asked them all, care to publish the results of your research?

Sometimes I think you live on cloud cuckoo land Padge. I don't need to ask them all I'm in no doubt the majority would say no.

#65 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,292 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

Sometimes I think you live on cloud cuckoo land Padge. I don't need to ask them all I'm in no doubt the majority would say no.

You mistake terrace talk for reality.

#66 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

You mistake terrace talk for reality.

Don't get me wrong the BODs may agree to it but the fans never would and I would suspect a lot of fans would boycott the merged team.

#67 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,292 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Don't get me wrong the BODs may agree to it but the fans never would and I would suspect a lot of fans would boycott the merged team.

If you need to merge you haven't got enough fans anyway.

Edited by Padge, 29 December 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#68 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,500 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

It's the same answer for any club when they get asked to merge with a rival a big fat no chance.

Come on Gaz.

Diehards like you will die with the club..... fair enough.

But the vast majority of people interested in supporting RL just want entertainment.

In reality in your area of Fev, Cas and Wakey a small number of fans went mad about mergers in 1996 and 17 years on all three "Calder" clubs continue to struggle and be skint and have to watch whilst the big clubs win all the trophies.

The problem with your intransigence is it leads to nowhere but bitterness, self righteousness and self flagellation whilst most of the Calder area would just like to have a club as "false" as it may be that could win a cup so 20,000 people could just have a day out to remember.

A few beers, a cup win, and sod tradition.

#69 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

If you need to merge you haven't got a lot of fans left.

That's not entirely true though because Salford have got a good 5k fan base and you were talking of them merging with Oldham. I understand Oldhams BOD may agree to it but what would Oldham bring to Salford if this was to happen 500 fans? In this case I would say Salford would be better on their own.

#70 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Come on Gaz.

Diehards like you will die with the club..... fair enough.

But the vast majority of people interested in supporting RL just want entertainment.

In reality in your area of Fev, Cas and Wakey a small number of fans went mad about mergers in 1996 and 17 years on all three "Calder" clubs continue to struggle and be skint and have to watch whilst the big clubs win all the trophies.

The problem with your intransigence is it leads to nowhere but bitterness, self righteousness and self flagellation whilst most of the Calder area would just like to have a club as "false" as it may be that could win a cup so 20,000 people could just have a day out to remember.

A few beers, a cup win, and sod tradition.

😃😃😃 have you asked the fev, c@s and wakey fans this? Your having a laugh are you not? I'm in no doubt that if the question of us 3 merging came up again the same answer would be given as it was back then NO CHANCE.But why would a merger be asked? As wakey are making great strides at the minute and so are we. The only team out of the 3 that may need to merge in the next 5 years is c@s because something is wrong there for a lot of their staff to be jumping ship and joining the fevolution.

Edited by thundergaz, 29 December 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#71 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,500 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

They can say, and have every right to say "NO".

However in another 17 years of Superleague with Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Wire and maybe Wakefield in Newmarket having cleared up on every trophy going they may wish they had said "YES".

But then again most of them may have moved on....

I'm sure most of the "Merging on the ridiculous" crowd 17 years ago probably don't go to RL matches...

#72 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

They can say, and have every right to say "NO".

However in another 17 years of Superleague with Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Wire and maybe Wakefield in Newmarket having cleared up on every trophy going they may wish they had said "YES".

But then again most of them may have moved on....

I'm sure most of the "Merging on the ridiculous" crowd 17 years ago probably don't go to RL matches...

I can't speak for every fev, c@s and wakey fan but I was there and I voted no.And looking at us now I don't regret it one minute.

Edited by thundergaz, 29 December 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#73 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

I can't speak for every fev, c@s and wakey fan but I was there and I voted no.And looking at us now I don't regret it one minute.

I don't regret it either but if there were to be a "referendum" today I'm genuinely not sure what I'd vote for.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#74 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,500 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Why would a merger be asked? As wakey are making great strides at the minute and so are we.

Gaz, take a step back

Featherstone have 2000 fans, 500 short of the requirement for superleague. and Sheffield were grand final winners who you could not beat.

That's not great strides at all mate,

Wakefield went bust with 6500 fans but had a hand up from SLE and after Glover took the helm they added 1600 fans without achieving anything but survival.

Newmarket if it happens may see the club hit 10,000 crowds. Wakefield may hit the same sort of revival Hull or Wire did.

So I would not agree that Fev and wakey are somehow moving on up on a par. It could be Wakefield leave you well behind??

#75 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

Gaz, take a step back

Featherstone have 2000 fans, 500 short of the requirement for superleague. and Sheffield were grand final winners who you could not beat.

That's not great strides at all mate,

Wakefield went bust with 6500 fans but had a hand up from SLE and after Glover took the helm they added 1600 fans without achieving anything but survival.

Newmarket if it happens may see the club hit 10,000 crowds. Wakefield may hit the same sort of revival Hull or Wire did.

So I would not agree that Fev and wakey are somehow moving on up on a par. It could be Wakefield leave you well behind??

Maybe they will maybe they won't I don't know. But what I do know is whatever happens to our club in the future whether we're in SL or not I will know our BOD and coach will have done everything they had to and can do to get us in SL. But what I will say is if we do get into SL with this BOD and our investors we will stay there.

#76 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,500 posts

I don't regret it either but if there were to be a "referendum" today I'm genuinely not sure what I'd vote for.

Kenny - who would be allowed to vote in the referendum?

The 16,941 fans who go to Fev/Cas/Wakey.....

Or would it also include several thousand fans in the area who would go if there was a club that could compete for trophies inSL

And do you think 8172 Wakey fans would vote stuff Cas/Fev why do we need them?

#77 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,727 posts

Widnes had been on the edge for a while, they had been having money trouble continually. Lindsay pulled Widnes out of it by buying Lydon for £100,000, Wigan later again got them out of the financial mess when they bought Offiah for £440,000. Widnes had to off-load Davies on a free transfer to Warrington to save them from getting in it once again.

At the time there was nobody on a white charger riding in to save them, Warrington were playing in a dilapidated stadium bumping along at the time with once again no sign of anyone coming to the rescue.

If we had carried on would these two clubs have found a saviour, we don't know, we do know they were both heading for trouble (more so Widnes), did the creation of SL spark an interest from well financed backers for the clubs, maybe, but in reality we don't know.

What I think we do know is that we couldn't carry on as we were and where we were wasn't in a place that a lot of clubs were going to survive in.

It doesn't really matter whether clubs merged or not, in the brave new world those that sort themselves out will survive, others may be lost. The clubs voted for a fight to the death when they rejected mergers. Lindsay didn't want that but the clubs did.

nothing to disagree witb there, and it wasnt really my point.

Parksider is giving Lyndsay all sorts of credit for him suggesting Oldham and Salford wouldnt handle it as standalone clubs in SL. By that rationale he suggested Warrington couldnt hack it either (at the time I wouldnt disagree!).
He cant just have credit for those he got right and ignore those he got wrong - which was my challenge to Parky.

#78 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,292 posts

It could be Wakefield leave you well behind??

And become eventual winners of the fight to the death.

#79 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Maybe they will maybe they won't I don't know. But what I do know is whatever happens to our club in the future whether we're in SL or not I will know our BOD and coach will have done everything they had to and can do to get us in SL. But what I will say is if we do get into SL with this BOD and our investors we will stay there.

I think you need a bit of support here Gaz.

You are debating with 2 people who do not and will never get the way you feel. Parky it appears to me has waived the white flag with regards his Hunslet club and Padge can only see Wigan as the one and only saviours of RL.

Fight to the death - if that's what it is bring it on. I would rather go down fighting than cower to the so called mighty.

If you quizzed the people who attend Fev matches now they would be against mergers by a massive majority, I know it you know it but Parky and Padge who know naff all about Fev rovers need proof. I think they believe that by merging all of a sudden thousands of fans will flock to see the new club, well like usual they are well and truly wrong. The new club would struggle to get 5k and would be in no better position than the 3 clubs are now. The only difference is that RL would have lost 3 great clubs which is something they can't afford to lose.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#80 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

I think you need a bit of support here Gaz.

You are debating with 2 people who do not and will never get the way you feel. Parky it appears to me has waived the white flag with regards his Hunslet club and Padge can only see Wigan as the one and only saviours of RL.

Fight to the death - if that's what it is bring it on. I would rather go down fighting than cower to the so called mighty.

If you quizzed the people who attend Fev matches now they would be against mergers by a massive majority, I know it you know it but Parky and Padge who know naff all about Fev rovers need proof. I think they believe that by merging all of a sudden thousands of fans will flock to see the new club, well like usual they are well and truly wrong. The new club would struggle to get 5k and would be in no better position than the 3 clubs are now. The only difference is that RL would have lost 3 great clubs which is something they can't afford to lose.

I honestly think that is a very very short sighted view. As an example, My twitter feed is absolutely full of early 20 something's who are fanatical about Cas - these folk were only just about born when there was talk of mergers - if a "super club" had been formed in the Wakefield region who is to say that they wouldn't follow that team - plus all the others in the region.

I live out of the area now and when approx 1% of all friends and colleagues have heard of Castleford (even less Featherstone) you realise how low profile our wonderful clubs are. I'm not saying I am an out and out believer in mergers but I will admit to being much more open about it these days than I was about 10 yrs ago
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users