Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Any news on Salford ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

#81 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

Kenny - who would be allowed to vote in the referendum?

The 16,941 fans who go to Fev/Cas/Wakey.....

Or would it also include several thousand fans in the area who would go if there was a club that could compete for trophies inSL

And do you think 8172 Wakey fans would vote stuff Cas/Fev why do we need them?

Who would be allowed to vote? You and Keighley to go along with the trend on this board

I would imagine that there would be a mixture of replies from the 8172 Wakey fans
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#82 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

RL's strength is also it's greatest weakness - it was born from the passion of its local communites, some of those have seen massive negative change in the past 25 years but still at the heart of many is THEIR CLUB and that's why merging Cas and Fev or Widnes and Warrington will not and would never work - it is culturally unacceptable.
Burnley and Blackburn woulkd make a decent premier league club - that will also never happen

#83 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

So by that reasoning he thought that Warrington and Widnes were not big enough to survive in SL. Doesn't Warrington's growth rather prove him wrong and lose him a point?

here here dave, and watch this space for the rise of the chemics................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#84 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

nothing to disagree witb there, and it wasnt really my point.

Parksider is giving Lyndsay all sorts of credit for him suggesting Oldham and Salford wouldnt handle it as standalone clubs in SL. By that rationale he suggested Warrington couldnt hack it either (at the time I wouldnt disagree!).
He cant just have credit for those he got right and ignore those he got wrong - which was my challenge to Parky.

I get your point, but you can only go on the data you have at the time, the unpredictable is unpredictable.

The mess the game was in at the time meant that the logic was pool the resources. What if the knights in shining white armour hadn't turned up for either, one or both clubs could be Oldham or Salford.

It wasn't a case of getting it wrong, it was a case of if you carry on like this you are doomed. Neither Warrington nor Widnes carried on like this, which was just lucky for both clubs.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#85 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

i was talking to ashley gibson last night and he was saying that some of the players have taken to twitter to ask for any fund raising suggestions, that seems a long way from players looking for plan B, if anyone has any sensible ideas contact ashley on twitter.............SOS save our salford.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#86 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

Why won't Mr. Wilkinson and Mr. Clague put up the money for the club to start the season Mr. Hound?

Well Parky the three Directors have no more money available to put in.

John has a Hotel next to Man U and only poor bids have been received. His other businesses are OK but not thriving and he needs every penny to support them. He is 68 - would like to pack in - and his wife is unwell and needs care. Howard is retired and cannot support the club financially. Ian Watson's Building Company is in a similar state to Johns and thus the club come second.

I still dont know whether HMRC have joined the petition. If not I would guess the Directors will try & seek an adjournment to settle Patten & Anderson out of Court but that is just a short term option. The Company is insolvent (as most clubs are) but that fact brings terrors to would be saviours.

The Balance Sheet needs to be changed. Loans to be swapped for shares for the Directors and Council - then we would be solvent and have a chance to strike a deal. Not much time is there?

Edited by Segovia Carpet, 30 December 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#87 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:29 AM

I honestly think that is a very very short sighted view. As an example, My twitter feed is absolutely full of early 20 something's who are fanatical about Cas - these folk were only just about born when there was talk of mergers - if a "super club" had been formed in the Wakefield region who is to say that they wouldn't follow that team - plus all the others in the region.

I live out of the area now and when approx 1% of all friends and colleagues have heard of Castleford (even less Featherstone) you realise how low profile our wonderful clubs are. I'm not saying I am an out and out believer in mergers but I will admit to being much more open about it these days than I was about 10 yrs ago

The 20 somethings more often than not follow there fathers and grandfathers footsteps. If mergers happened then many of these fathers and grandfathers would have stopped going, so the interest in this new club would not be there in my opinion.

I agree about people not knowing a thing about Cas or Fev but would they know about a club called Calder if the clubs merged? I would say no so this point is irrelevant.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#88 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Several people have mentioned that Salford cannot play at Barton if they are not in Super League, and I am hearing the same about Sale, if they get relegated - why not? Irlam Hornets are not in Super League but they are playing there. It is a council stadium and I am sure they would rather have "somebody" playing there for a reduced rent than nobody at all, although knowing Salford council as I do nothing suprises me.
Oldham and Salford merging to become Manchester would, in my opinion, be a disaster. I believe they would lose far more existing fans than they would gain new fans. One poster has already pointed out that Oldham don't have anything to bring to the merger any more and I don't think that Salford are much better off now anyway, but the the main problem is, and I have lived in Salford for 57 years - Salfordians don't consider themselves to be Mancunians. In any case, Super league fans, in my experience, are not generally Rugby League fans, they just want to see their team win 60-0 every week, and I reckon a good 50% of any clubs fans would stop watching the game if their club ceased to exist. There is life after Super League. North Wales Crusaders are doing a brilliant job and the atmosphere at games is excellent. I stopped watching Salford, only because they were in Super greed, about 13 years ago, so I have never supported a team called "City Reds". I could possibly be enticed back to the club if they started again as Salford RLFC.

#89 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,717 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

:laugh: :laugh:

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#90 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

any news about the club?

#91 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

The 20 somethings more often than not follow there fathers and grandfathers footsteps. If mergers happened then many of these fathers and grandfathers would have stopped going, so the interest in this new club would not be there in my opinion.

I agree about people not knowing a thing about Cas or Fev but would they know about a club called Calder if the clubs merged? I would say no so this point is irrelevant.

I could also state that a lot of people with no previous connection to the game see a game on TV either at home or down the pub and decide they want to go and see it live. Students move to an area where RL is played and decide to go down to a match because they have never been and they are hooked.
Clubs marketing departments spark an interest in people who had never really considered going to a game and hey we have a new supporter.

I have lots of anecdotal evidence to counter yours.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#92 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

I could also state that a lot of people with no previous connection to the game see a game on TV either at home or down the pub and decide they want to go and see it live. Students move to an area where RL is played and decide to go down to a match because they have never been and they are hooked.
Clubs marketing departments spark an interest in people who had never really considered going to a game and hey we have a new supporter.

There you go again, knowing more about my local area than I do. You must spend your whole life gathering evidence to prove people wrong.

Must go now back to the real world.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#93 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Students are a good point the clubs who could take advantage are Sheffield, Hull, Leeds, London and Manchester - the key would be a good RL set up at that Uni and a sales capability to exploit it.

I can't see a bloke in a boozer in Cheltenham travelling to Hull on a weekly basis, these fans would attend events like CC finals, GF's, Ashes etc and have always done so we just need more to do so now.

Edited by sweaty craiq, 30 December 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#94 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Why the hell has this changed into yet another thread about Cas/Fev, mergers and Maurice Lindsay? What has this got to do with news at Salford?
Posted Image

#95 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

You don't get News out of the Salford club Wellsy, just lies, rumour and false hope - for the last 40 years I know of anyway. There are loads of rumours going about the City, and everybody knows somebody who is in the know, like Sean Long's brothers dogs vet, except its usually wrong. I have as good a contacts as anybody else in the game round here but I don't know anything worth posting, and probably wouldn't if I did, because that way you never get to know anything again! If a saviour comes in all will be revealed quickly enough, otherwise, don't think anything will be announced before 7th January. The fans have raised something like £30,000 but most of them don't seem hopeful of staying in the top flight. I just hope that they keep a team playing at Barton in one form or another.

#96 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

The thing I just cannot get my head around in all this was how the Salford fans were sold such a white elephant as Barton? I mean what was so terminally awful about The Willows? I just can not believe that the ground was so bad, I have been several times before the closure and It was In my view a fine venue for RL, the shed had a certain "Raw Uniqueness" (not for the faint hearted) and the Willows end had a certain old school charm!
All you need at Barton is an East Wind, as many residents of Davyhulme would declare...and the metaphor would aptly describe both the decision making and leadership/budget control that has been in place since they arrived back in SL.

As for the RFL all I can say is that they simply have to act with consistency...And wonder aloud what the lease for Barton would cost them?

#97 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Why the hell has this changed into yet another thread about Cas/Fev, mergers and Maurice Lindsay? What has this got to do with news at Salford?

Well said Wellsy. I'm getting sick of the 'we know best brigade' hijacking every thread and trying to tell people they know more about their local clubs/areas than they do.

#98 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

as they won't be a super league club the partnership will be dissolved.

Or you could re negotiate and make Salford the junior partner and become Oldham's feeder club.

#99 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

So by that reasoning he thought that Warrington and Widnes were not big enough to survive in SL. Doesn't Warrington's growth rather prove him wrong and lose him a point?

And Hull and Hull KR.

#100 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Salford would not have got a SL license had they stayed at the Willows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users